TKR TKR My new right knee

Waterlady

Country
United States United States
I’m 6 weeks post op now for my RTKR. I haven’t had much of any problems with my new knee. My recovery has been basically as expected. Yes, pain, sleepless nights on occasion, but I’ve been through this kind of thing before. I do wish I could do more by now, but I’m walking around ok with a cane. A couple of times I did a little too much so my knee swelled up more. I rested the next day icing it more often, and the swelling went down. I’ve been enjoying working in my garden. I have only left the house about seven times since the surgery.
My knee is bending to 128 now. Yesterday was the first day I immersed myself in water. I was waiting for one little spot to heal completely. I finally put some super glue on the spot so I could swim in the ocean again. It was wonderful even though it felt a bit chilly on the north side of the island. I couldn’t swim for very long of course, but I loved it just the same.
Unfortunately 5 days after my surgery my mother ended up in the hospital with a UTI treated with antibiotics, but it wasn’t enough as she became septic returning to the hospital. She will be 96 in July. I needed to keep a close watch on her recovery so my days have been busy. I had to hire 24 hour help for her. My daughter offered to help her for a few weeks before I arrive there to help her. Neither of us live in the same state as my mom. So in two days I will be there to help my mom as best I can considering I still need some more recovery myself. I am a bit anxious about it, but I guess I can hire more hours of caregiver help from an agency if I need it. Wish me luck. I think I might need it.

Last edited:
Hello Waterlady and Welcome to the healing side of the Knee forum!
I am so sorry to read the news about your mom. Best of luck in caring for her as you are healing yourself. I wish you safe travels and some special times with dear old mom.

One concern - Did your surgeon okay you using super glue near your incision? Please be careful with any product near any remaining open areas of your incision due to the risk of infection. You seem be doing pretty well, I'd hate to see you sidelined at this point.

I will leave our Knee Recovery Guidelines as much of the information will still apply.
Thanks for the update, I hope you'll stay in touch. All the best to you!

KNEE RECOVERY GUIDELINES

As you begin healing, please keep in mind that each recovery is unique. While the BoneSmart philosophy successfully works for many, there will be exceptions. Between the recommendations found here, your surgeon's recovery protocol and any physical therapy you may engage in, the key is to find what works best for you.

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary.

2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.
@Waterlady

Welcome @Waterlady. It’s always hard when we face unexpected challenges during the early days of our recovery but it sounds like you are up for it. Be sure to get up and walk during your flight to keep the blood flowing in your legs.

Blessings to you and your mom.

@FourCats Thank you for your blessing. The flight is about five hours so I will definitely need to walk around on the plane. My surgeon wanted me to double the dose of baby aspirin I’m taking before the flight too.

It’s around 4 am and I’m really tired of my knee aching. It’s not pain exactly … it’s the tightness above my knee that won’t go away. I’m about 8 weeks post op, and I’m doing well. At this point I’m becoming impatient. I love to swim, and I need to exercise as I’ve become quite large with all this resting and leg elevation. So, I guess my question is: Is it ok to swim freestyle or backstroke? A flutter kick is strengthening the leg muscles. I don’t need to kick hard with my new knee. Yes, my leg does swell up some after swimming. Ice and elevation bring it back to normal. I do have a tendency to push my limits. Am I hurting my knee by swimming? I read the bonesmart view on exercise, but I’m not sure it’s ok.

Hello Waterlady,
Please do consider checking with your surgeon on this. My OS was extremely conservative and advised against getting into any body of water from a bathtub, to hot tubs, lakes, etc, until I was three months post op. At the same time you can ask him, or a member of his care team about safe swimming techniques for early recovery.
I hope you have a wonderful holiday weekend!
@Waterlady

@ Layla. Thank you for your reply. Enjoy your holiday. I did ask about getting in the ocean or swimming pool since I like to swim. My OS stated it was ok after my incision was completely healed. It has been completely healed now for almost two weeks. My PT on Maui had said it was ok to swim freestyle too, but I was trying to figure out what would be the advice from bonesmart as it is not the same as what a PT would advise. Now I am in California to care for my mother. Swimming is one way to keep my sanity while caring for my mother. I am allowing myself breaks of 5 hours a day by hiring a caregiver to be here while I am out of the house.

Now I am in California to care for my mother. Swimming is one way to keep my sanity while caring for my mother. I am allowing myself breaks of 5 hours a day by hiring a caregiver to be here while I am out of the house.
This retired community health nurse just wants to thoroughly applaud you for proactively obtaining regular respite, long enough to rest and recreate and recharge!

Let's see if, @Jaycey has any thoughts on that. If I recall she has responded to some swimming inquires in the past. I agree with, mendogal, above about the importance of self care in the midst of caring for your mom. I'll bet she loves having you there. :friends:
@Waterlady

Happy Two Month Anniversary!
Enjoy those swims! :swim:
@Waterlady

Well, I’m at 5 and a half months now with my new knee. My knee still hurts after I swim or do any kind of exercise. It seems that the area around my patella gets irritated. I’m icing it after exercise. My knee still feels really tight.I want to be able to do yoga, but I can not get my knee to bend anymore. Any suggestions? I still have trouble putting a sock on my foot.

@Waterlady
My knee still feels really tight.I want to be able to do yoga, but I can not get my knee to bend anymore
You are way too early in your recovery to do child pose or put body pressure on the knee. With my left knee it was close to a year before I could sit on my heels again without pain or undue pressure.

Any suggestions?
Yes, the big one…time. It's the hardest suggestion to follow because once we get a taste of life as we knew it before surgery, we want more…now! You'll get there, dear Waterlady, just go slow and easy and give it more time.
I'm rooting for you all the way!

@Waterlady
My knee still feels really tight.I want to be able to do yoga, but I can not get my knee to bend anymore
You are way too early in your recovery to do child pose or put body pressure on the knee. With my left knee it was close to a year before I could sit on my heels again without pain or undue pressure.
@Mutti3 Thank you for your response. It sounds like I just need to be patient with getting back to yoga. Yesterday I was excited, because I could get my knee on the floor/mat without causing pain below my patella. I’m getting closer anyway. I really need to be able to stretch properly as I have back issues. I am looking forward to the day that I have complete range of motion, and stretching back to where I was before knee pain and the TKR.

Any suggestions?
Yes, the big one…time. It's the hardest suggestion to follow because once we get a taste of life as we knew it before surgery, we want more…now! You'll get there, dear Waterlady, just go slow and easy and give it more time.
I'm rooting for you all the way!
@Layla Yes, I have been a bit impatient as I’ve been exercising by swimming and doing a little with the weight machines to strengthen all the muscles in my legs. I want to go hiking too! I tried a short hike to view the lake from the top of the hill. I made it to the top, but it was too much uphill climbing. I expected the trail to level out at some point, but it was all an up hill climb. Not my best choice.

At six months out now it seems that I should be further along. I do keep saying to myself now that may take a year, but I do need to strengthen the right leg as the muscles are smaller than the left leg. My back problems contribute to leg pain in general. I’ll try to be patient as I wait for my life to be full of fun activities again. Thank you for your encouragement.

Hi Waterlady,
We often mention that full recovery can take a year and even longer for some still enjoying progress into their second and third years post op. I am sorry that you are simultaneously dealing with back issues. I hope that eases for you.

I will leave current member JusticeRiders account of her TKR recovery and the length of time involved. Hopefully it provides reassurance that you're not alone in doubting your progress and re-enforces the importance of practicing the often elusive virtue of patience. Thanks for stopping by, please keep us posted on your progress and enjoy the week!

JusticeRider's post -
"I just want to add, for all those coming along, a note on ROM. I want to share this because nearly all of us have a tremendous amount pressure put on us to increase our ROM by certain deadlines, or else.

Mine has been extremely slow coming. First I had to wait out the swelling, which in my case took more than 5 months. Yes, months. At that point I began to see real progress. It has continued to this day. I have seen improvement in the last 2 weeks. It’s still going. A this point I think the limiting factor is tight muscles, ligaments, and tendons from 3 yrs of very limited ROM and actually about 25 yrs of somewhat limited ROM. Those tissues are slowly stretching.

I have had to be willing to let my flexion improve at a glacial pace, be very patient, and tune out the dire warnings of my surgeon, PA, previous PT, and some well meaning acquaintances. I refused painful PT and refused a MUA. I have absolutely no regrets. I know my body, and I believe those things would have caused a domino effect of swelling and pain that may have derailed my recovery long term and even possibly have torn soft tissue, etc. I now know I have the added challenges of hypermobility and an immune condition that causes an inflammatory reaction. I think a MUA would have been very harmful to me.

Instead of forcing it, I have relied on weekly massage and using my stationary bike as a stretching aid every single day. I have been very active, but I have ramped up really, really gradually. I have not measured my flexion, because honestly I feel almost a PTSD type of reaction around it. All I care about is function and what I can do. My knee is very functional now, and still improving. I love my new knee. I’m glad I let it heal on its own timeline even though it was so much longer than everyone (most of all me!) would have liked."
@
Waterlady

Hi Waterlady,

I relate to much you have shared. I'm a little older than you, at 75. I share many of your concerns and frustrations. After my first TKR I lost 30 lbs, just from the healing process. I expected to that again when I had my 2nd TKR a year ago on the other knee, and it didn't happen.

My personal P.T. consisted of going to the gym and biking 2 miles, walking a mile, using the leg press, and swimming a few laps. I was recently diagnosed with Schleroderma, which is a "rare immunity disease" where your body produces antibodies that attack healthy organs. I don't have much endurance, but I do a lot through sheer will at times.

I saw my doctor for the final 1 year follow-up and I mentioned that my knee is still a bit achy, still hurts a little going down stairs, and that it still hurts to put on a sock on that leg. I felt like I had plateaued for the past 3 months. The suggestion was to start using the abductor/adductor machine at the gym to increase the strength in my thigh muscles. I've done that for the past 2 weeks now.

My first knee replacement, which occurred 6 years ago, seemed to go easier and quicker in terms of a full recovery. Maybe it's my age, my medical condition, or a different surgical approach (first doctor retired).

Like you, I need to be active. I joined a bowling league and practice 1-2 times as well. In good weather I play shuffleboard, and competed in several state Senior Olympics.

It is discouraging that there's still pain and swelling even after a year, but we all just have to deal with it, and look forward to the day when all we have are a few aches, and only need to ice occasionally.

Good luck on your continued recovery. When I saw your "handle" I thought about a movie I watched last night on Netflix, which was "Nyad." It was intense, but also inspirational. At the age of 64, after 4 other attempts, she became the first person to successfully swim from Cuba to Florida.

The next time I start to "woos out" because of fatigue I will probably push myself a little and think of Nyad.

Such a supportive post! @smcsmc727 I'm betting sweet, Waterlady, will feel encouraged.
Just did a close up look at your avatar for the first time :heehee:

@Waterlady
You're almost ready to mark one year post op and we'd love an update!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Kneelythere
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom