Metal Allergy TKR Metal Allergy

Lip$man

Country
United States United States
Hi Murray, there's a blood test you can have performed that will tell you what metals, if any, you might be allergic to. The test is an activated leukocyte test, and it's only performed by one lab in the country, the Orthopedic Analysis company in Chicago, IL. Once you have your blood tested and know which, if any, metals you might be allergic to, then you need to determine what metals are in your knee prosthesis. Once that's known, you can determine if it's likely a metal allergy that may be causing your issues.

I am a metal allergy sufferer and only discovered it after my first knee replacement. For reference, I'm 66 years old and have no ongoing health issues. Here's a quick background on my experience with metal allergies:

1. 12/2021, had right knee TKR.
2. After several months I kept experiencing two problems. Constant swelling, stiffness and soreness in the knee, and also too much instability in the knee. Was tested for infections three times, all negative. Surgeon wasn't sure what was causing my problems.
3. After 10 months of constantly experiencing these issues, I consulted three other surgeons to get their opinions on what might be going on. All said I had too much instability in the knee, and that they were thinking that fixing the instability would correct the constant swelling, stiffness and soreness.
3. 3/2023, had revision surgery on the right knee to fix the instability. During this surgery the surgeon noted that I had unexpected clumps of inflamed tissue throughout the knee, but didn't know what caused it. He cleaned it all out, and tested for infection again, but it was negative.
4. After this surgery, the instability was corrected, but the swelling, stiffness and soreness continued unabated.
5. Seven months after my 3/2023 revision surgery I started doing my own research to try and figure out what was going on. I perused many articles from places like NIH, Mayo Clinic, Johns Hopkins, etc that discussed all the typical reasons why a knee replacement fails or people are dissatisfied with the result. I'd go down the lists checking them off...nope, nope, nope, ... until I came to the one that said you experience constant swelling, soreness and stiffness. Bingo. And that was from metal allergy.
6. 9/2023, I had my blood tested with Orthopedic Analysis and sure enough I was allergic to Cobalt and highly allergic to Nickel. And both Cobalt and Nickel were the primary metals contained in the femoral component of my Stryker Triathlon prosthesis.
7. 3/2024 another full right knee TKR, I had my original Stryker prosthesis completely removed and replaced with a Smith & Nephew Legion implant which is composed of titanium and a ceramic material. I'm now 6 weeks post-op and all is progressing just fine with none of the problems I had previously.

Interestingly enough, many surgeons you might talk to don't really buy into the idea that a metal allergy could be causing these issues. I talked with one who just couldn't believe it and others who had some experience with it and sort of believed it, but weren't totally bought into it. Then I spoke with the new surgeon who performed my 3/2024 knee replacement who has been doing this for a long time and he knows metal allergy is a real issue because he has experienced it firsthand many times. He had treated numerous patients over the years who suffered from it, and once they had the offending implant removed, they no longer had any symptoms.

Hope this info helps out!

@Lip$man Thank you for posting your experience with metal allergy, I’m sure it will be helpful to others. Best Wishes as once again you are in recovery mode.

I started this recovery thread for you to keep a history journal for you.

I will leave you our Recovery Guidelines. Each article is short but very informative. Following these guidelines will help you have a less painful recovery.

Just keep in mind all people are different, as are the approaches to this recovery and rehab. The key is, “Find what works for you.“ Your doctors, PTs and BoneSmart are available to help, but you are the final judge as to the recovery approach you choose.

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary

2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
If you want to use something to help heal the incision,
BoneSmart recommends hypochlorous solution. Members in the US can purchase ACTIVE Antimicrobial Hydrogel through BoneSmart at a discount. Similar products should be available in the UK and other countries.​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

6. Access to these pages on the website

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in the majority of BoneSmart’s forums, we ask that each member have only One Recovery Thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review the member’s history before providing advice, so please post any updates or questions you have right here in this thread.

@Lip$man Please give us the actual date of the revision done last month, and we’ll add that to your signature. Thanks! :flwrysmile:

I'm now 6 weeks post-op and all is progressing just fine with none of the problems I had previously.
I’m so happy to hear this! Thank you for sharing all that info.

Does anyone know how to get metal allergy testing done in Canada?

I'm now 6 weeks post-op and all is progressing just fine with none of the problems I had previously.
I’m so happy to hear this! Thank you for sharing all that info.

Does anyone know how to get metal allergy testing done in Canada?
Orthopedic Analysis in Chicago, IL does accept blood tests from residents in Canada. In fact, if you go to their website and view theIR testimonials, you'll see one from an individual who was a resident of Alberta, Canada working with a surgeon in Arizona who got tested. You would just need to contact Orthopedic Analysis to understand the logistics and setup a test. I hope this helps!

Hi there Lip$man,
It's been two months since your revision. I hope all is going well for you. Please leave an update as time allows,
we'd love to hear from you. Take care and have a nice week! :SUNsmile:
@Lip$man

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Forum statistics

Threads