TKR TKR for morbidly obese

Great grammy1

Country
United States United States
After months of working with an orthopedic surgeon on my need for a total shoulder replacement, he has now decided I need to get my knees replaced first. I would love to get my knees replaced as I’m now w/c bound due to being unable to stand, the pain is excruciating and my quality of life is deteriorating. I’m aware surgeons are hesitant to perform TKR on the morbidly obese (5’5 weight fluctuates between 260-300), but am hoping someone in this forum ( similar situation as mine)has been successful in finding a surgeon in the greater Seattle area who did a TKR for them. Thank you

Hi and Welcome!

Our administrator, @Jamie might be able to help you find someone. I tagged her so she’ll be sure to see this post.

In the mean time, here’s some pre op information for you:

If you are at the stage where you have joint pain but don't know for sure if you are ready to have surgery, these links may help:
Score Chart: How bad is my arthritic knee?
Choosing a surgeon and a prosthesis
BMI Calculator - What to do if your surgeon says you're too heavy for joint replacement surgery
Longevity of implants and revisions: How long will my new joint last?

If you are at the stage where you are planning to have surgery but are looking for information so you can be better prepared for what is to come, take a look at these links:
Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery
Pre-Op Interviews: What's involved?

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced knee, take a look at the posts and threads from other BoneSmarties provided in this link:
Stories of amazing knee recoveries

@Great grammy1 … as you probably know, the cutoff BMI for most surgeons is 40 and you won’t find a lot of doctors who go over that because of the increased risks of problems from the surgery, such as infection. But there are doctors out there that realize the “Catch 22” position people are in who have serious weight issues. But there are some out there. My list does not contain anyone near Seattle, though. Are you willing to travel for the surgery?

I'm 5'6" and around 245lbs. So not far off from your height and lower end weight. I had PKRs and an osteotomy. I was also fighting to get it done because of my age (37). I live around Louisville, but traveled 6 hours to Detroit to get mine done. Hope you can find a surgeon closer to you. But if not, I'll be happy to share my surgeons info with you.

@lrj …. Please do share your surgeon’s information. I’m always on the lookout for those few doctors who will work with high BMI patients. You can either send me a PM or post the information here.

Dr. Todd Frush
Motor City Orthopedics

Thank you for your response’s. I’m not sure about going out of state due to cost but it could come down to that. Any suggestions for surgeons in the State of Wa would be appreciated.
Thank you

You’re probably not going to get much response for Washington since there are so few surgeons that will work with high BMI patients. If you’re willing to do a lot of calling around, you could Google all the surgeons within the area you’re willing to travel, call each office, and ask if they have a surgeon who will work with you at your present weight.

If you decide to go this route and locate one or more surgeons who will see you for a consultation, please let me know the names so I can add them to my list.

If you decide you are willing to travel at some point, just let me know and we can talk about locations that might work for you.

Thank you -I have done some calling but it’s we will need to get back to you. What is the highest BMI you have found a surgeon in the greater Seattle area to consider?
Generally speaking how far would 1 need to travel to see a surgeon. Oregon might be doable

All the surgeons I have on my list are on the east coast plus a few in the middle of the country. The standard BMI cutoff is 40 for most surgeons.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Alwaysknitting
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom