TKR April 3 after cortisone injection, is this ok?

katclub

Country
United States United States
New to forum. Have TKR set for April 8 which is 87 days after cortisone injection. Doctor said it's fine but being a worry wart wanted some opinions! thanks,,

Surgeons can vary on how long to wait. Generally it's 12 weeks (84 days), so I'd say you're just fine.

Hi. Its tough waiting eh. Most people would be a "worry wart". Surgery is because there is a need and probably not because you are trying to update to a shiny new knee for cosmetic reasons.
I know that its something I think about every day just trying to get by within the limitations a knee issue causes.
Its one thing to know standard practice and wait times but its quite differant living with the reality.
If waiting is what is required, use the opportunity to get everything sorted for post surgery. This site has great info regarding process, equipment required and strategies to assist both pre and post op living.

Oh thank you. Office just called and change date to April 3! I’m just plain scared of this event. I’m self employed and it’s hard not working. I’ll be back a lot for support!

April 3 is 80 days after injection. Doctor office says it’s ok. Opinions please!

Also I’m not good with computers. How do I reply to a person who commented on my post.

Thank you

Last edited by a moderator:
To reply, you just scroll down to the bottom of the page and type your response in the Reply box you'll find there. Then click on Post Reply and you should see the post in the thread conversation.

You might want to check out our HELP & INFORMATION tab at the top of the page. Select HOW TO USE THIS FORUM from the drop down menu and you'll find lots of helpful information there on how to get the most out of BoneSmart.

Please know that all of us were anxious before our joint replacement surgery. It's a normal reaction.

New BoneSmart members like you are in various stages of their journey to joint replacement. Making the decision whether or not to have surgery and preparing for surgery can be easier once you have done your research and know what lies ahead. Here are some tools that can help you decide what is best for you.

Since you've already decided to have surgery, these articles from our BoneSmart Library may help you realize that you've made a great decision to do something that gets your normal life back:

Score Chart: How bad is my arthritic knee?
Choosing a surgeon and a prosthesis
Longevity of implants and revisions: How long will my new joint last?

Now that you're at the stage where you are planning to have surgery and you're looking for information so you can be better prepared for what is to come, take a look at these links:

Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery
Pre-Op Interviews: What's involved?

The website and app My Knee Guide can help you stay organized and informed. The free service keeps all the information pertaining to your surgery and recovery in one place on your smartphone. It is intended to be a personal support tool for the entire process.

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced knee, take a look at the posts and threads from other BoneSmarties provided in this link:

Stories of amazing knee recoveries

April 3 is 80 days after injection, doctor office says it’s ok, opinions please!
That's only a few days before 12 weeks. You'll be fine.

You have to trust that your surgeon knows what he/she is doing.

How exciting that you have an even sooner date! You still have heaps of time to prepare. You will need that as self employed. Xxx

Don't fret. It doesn't matter a jot if it's a few days before or after. It's not like taking an overdose of pain meds!

From what I have read there is a small but statistically significant increase in joint infections within 3 months of a cortisone shot. After three months the infection rate falls to the same as no injections.

My doctor requires three months and prefers four as a safety margin. I am going with four months. I’m all for safety.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Mahaan98
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom