THR (traditional method) recovery?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HME

Driving Cross-Country

my first posting -- I'm happy to find this forum as I have so many questions and my doctor is 1000 miles away. I'm scheduled for THR (Left hip only)in August and can't have the minimally invasive procedure. How much difference is there in recovery time between the two procedures? How long before I'm walking without crutches? This is a problem because I have hand and shoulder issues. Even more important, what about DRIVING? My work requires me to drive cross-country, around 400 miles per day. How long before I can expect to be able to do that??
I'm relatively young, thin and active, and doing my best to remain all of the above as my perimeters close in (!) My hip went out mostly due to avascular necrosis. I realize that it's important to keep things strong in there, so I gently ride a stationary bike (which I have not been advised against), walk as much as possible (not much), and do gentle range-of-motion yoga type exercises. I feel kind of alone in all this, would greatly appreciate hearing other people's experiences.

Hi,HME.Had my THR left side done on March 6th.Also due to avascular nercrosis.I am 42.I have a 8'' to 10'' reminder.The first week or two was a little rough.I was restricted to 50% weight for 3 weeks.Had at home therapy for 3 weeks.I am now going to therapy 3 days a week.The more pt I do the better it gets.Much more mobil.As for driving the doc. told me 3 weeks.I find riding in the car is still a little uncomfortable for extended periods.Incision discomfort,which gets better and stiffness also getting better.This coming Tues. will be 5 weeks.As I look back I have really come a long way.Don't seem like it in the beginning but things do get much improved with time.The best thing is no more PAIN.Feel free to write back I check the site just about everday.Boredom really is setting in.The best advise I can give is get moving after the surgery.Before hand I would suggest working on the upper body.3 weeks with the walker and the upper body really gets sore.Well talk to you soon I hope MIKE.

I'm so excited, my first reply! Wow I thought I was young for AVN, I'm 50. Your post is really quite encouraging. Even with the huge incision, you sound like you're making fast progress. Especially -- no more PAIN! I'm really looking forward to that!! What sort of exercises you do in therapy? I have no insurance and won't be able to afford much formal PT. Thanks so much for responding so fast, I feel less alone already.

Yeah pt cost me a $25.00 copay every visit.3 times a week.They stretch you out then hook ankle weights on and have you do various leg lifts front ,back and sideways.Started doing weight machines today.and also stepping up with the operated leg on a step.They give you a list of stuff to do at home.They also stress dont over due it.They also have you step in a small latter.Front and sideways making sure you pick up your knees while stepping.Alot of stuff can and should be done at home.Pace yourself it will come.

Hi HME
I had THR on 20th December 2006 aged 72 I allowed myself 2 moths for a recovery and booked a holiday (and paid for) a holiday in the Maldives prior to surgery for 19th Februay 2007. All went well and I was able to make the holiday without any problems.I did exercises for a couple of months prior to build up muscle as hip problems cause wastage which will delay recovery. I had a local epidural anesthetic and had no pain whatsoever afetr surgery and was home on the 3rd day on 2 walking sticks. The surgeon does not believe in crutches as he thinks they delay recovery. I had no phsio after surgery just carried on with my previous exercises a well as possible plus the ones in leaflet given by the hospital. I was driving after 5 weeks it could have been earlier from a practical pedal operation point of view but the not bending hip past 90 degrees and the general twisting for access is the problem. It was not very comfortable either and short trips only are the rule at first.I could have been playing tennis again in 2 months but for hurting my right shoulder prior to surgery missing a chair when attempting to sit and falling with all my weight on my arm (ironic or what)I have been playing for a few weeks now but still have trouble with my shoulder. My hip however is now completely part of me (I had a non cemented version where the bone grows around it).I had no pain whatsoever post op although this varies from patient to patient as some in my ward were on self admin morphine. I hope everything goes well for you
Regards
Doug

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Denton1224
Recent bookmarks