THR THR recovery, after motor vehicle accident

HippiHippiOUCH

Country
United States United States
I had my anterior right THR on 12/1/23 due to a motor vehicle accident. It has been, and continues to be, quite a physical and emotional ride. My husband is still restricted to a wheelchair; and both of us wondering if we’ll ever get our lives back again

Welcome to BoneSmart, @HippiHippiOUCH . Thank you for joining us.

Yes, this recovery can be a long, slow roller coaster ride, but you will get your life back with time.

I will share our Recovery Guidelines with you. Each article is short but very informative. Following these guidelines will help you have a less painful recovery.

Just keep in mind we are all different, as are the approaches to this recovery and rehab. The key is, “Find what works for you.“ Your doctors, PTs and BoneSmart are available to help, but you are the final judge as to the recovery approach you choose.

HIP RECOVERY GUIDELINES

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary.

If you want to use something to assist with healing and scar management, BoneSmart recommends hypochlorous solution. Members in the US can purchase ACTIVE Antimicrobial Hydrogel through BoneSmart at a discount. Similar products should be available in the UK and other countries.

2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
BoneSmart philosophy for sensible post op therapy

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this
Activity progression for THRs

The recovery articles
Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery
Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

Good nutrition is very important during recovery:
Dietary Tips for Recovery
Nutrition Basics

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

I'm so sorry to read that you needed this surgery following a motor vehicle accident. Is your husband wheelchair-bound because he was injured in the same accident?

Please tell us a little more, @HippiHippiOUCH. And let us know about your recovery so far.

My husband and I had been fulltime RV’ers prior to the accident. A pick-up truck traveling in the opposite lane lost control and spun into our RV. This resulted in my THR, in addition to fractured ribs and pelvis. My husband suffered a severe compound fracture of his left ankle, and a resulting stage 4 pressure wound on the heel of that foot. His fracture has healed well; the pressure wound is slow going. Recovery has been a challenge, to say the least‍

Oh, how terrible for you both, @HippiHippiOUCH ! No wonder this has been a roller coaster; you are dealing with more than one recovery.

Please ask questions -- we have a wonderfully helpful community here and our members are happy to share their stories that may be helpful.

It's also fine to just vent! We've all struggled with joint replacement recoveries and understand the frustration of trying to be patient.

Sending hugs. :console2:

@HippiHippiOUCH welcome to the forum, glad you found us. Unfortunately nobody seems to tell you about the emotional ups and downs of this surgeon and recovery. And since yours was due to a vehicle accident its probably even harder as you didn't have time to prepare for this.

@benne68 left you some really good light reading that can help you along and some of the items may even be helpful to your husband as well. Wishing you both a complete recovery and hoping you can get back on the road and enjoying yourselves.

Welcome to the forum & so sorry to hear about the accident.
I can relate becasue I slipped on tiny patch of ice & fractured my hip so no time to educate myself or plan.
As far as your husband's ankle, I've also broken my left ankle in 3 places that required surgery almost 5 years ago & that recovery was very stressful.
I'd rather deal with hip surgery than ankle, just saying.
You will get better but it's a bit longer recovery than I had planned for. At least with hip you can be on a walker & get around. My advice right now would be to read some of the other posts here that you maybe able to garner some helpful experiences from.
You will reach milestones along the recovery road, don't get discouraged, it's very easy to get depressed but we are here to listen.

You have both undergone such an unfortunate life changing event. As mentioned above having time to choose these types of procedures can let some individuals come to grips with the life change mentally but we all have to walk the recovery journey in different ways. I still bemoan what 'I used to be able to do' sometimes but am still learning to be thankful for what I have in the 'here and now' and what I am capable of achieving..

Finding that outlet that lets you make the best of your journey on your own terms can be very tough but can also be very rewarding. One benefit is, that you are sharing this experience this together. Be patient with each other and yourself. Learning to calm your mind and body mentally and physically can help you heal. Trying to see the positives in those little steps forward can also make a difference. Praying peace and healing for you both.

My husband and I had been fulltime RV’ers prior to the accident. A pick-up truck traveling in the opposite lane lost control and spun into our RV. This resulted in my THR, in addition to fractured ribs and pelvis.
One of the things I have missed the most with bad hips is being able to climb in and out of my RV comfortably. I certainly hope that when you are both well healed, you are able to go back to at least part time RV living if that is your dream. One of the things that has been an incentive for me to get better is a reservation at a state park in June using my RV. Good luck on your recovery.

Thank you all for the kind words and encouragement! My recovery is progressing nicely - I’ve graduated to a cane. My ortho is very happy with my progress - strength and range of movement are almost back to normal. I do still have an almost constant ache and stiffness - can I realistically hope that those feelings will eventually go away? Or is this something that I’m just going to have to live with?

I'm over 2 years post op & in the beginning stages you will have pain & stiffness, but good news it gets better.
I'm walking at least 4 miles a day, actually this past Sunday I did 6 miles. In February on my vacation I hiked up & down side of mountains and rock scrambles with no ill effects. I never thought I'd get that back but I did fortunately.
Even after several months in recovery you can have a small setback, don't get discouraged, you will come back from this accident. And please give your husband my well wishes too!

still have an almost constant ache and stiffness - can I realistically hope that those feelings will eventually go away?
That really is normal at your stage of recovery. And the discomfort and feeling of stiffness really does go away gradually with time and movement. My surgeon's advice was simply to walk as much as possible.

My hip is now 4+ years old and I never think about it.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
horselvr
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom