THR THR March 20, 2024

Zest

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi. I had my hip replacement op on March 20th and initially made good progress. However 5 weeks on my progress has stalled. I can walk short distances round the house on my stick but need 2 for longer distances outside. I had a cementless hip replacement and I don't know if this makes weight bearing take longer

@Zest Hi and Welcome!

I moved your post into a Recovery Thread so we can discuss your recovery more fully. Enjoy interacting with others who are on the same journey, here in this thread. :flwrysmile:

Recovering from a hip replacement can take an average of a year, and it is an up and down recovery, not a straight line of progress. It’s possible you are doing more activity at this point than your healing hip is ready to do. What are your daily activities?

I will leave you our Recovery Guidelines. Each article is short but very informative. Following these guidelines will help you have a less painful recovery.

Just keep in mind all people are different, as are the approaches to this recovery and rehab. The key is, “Find what works for you.“ Your doctors, PTs and BoneSmart are available to help, but you are the final judge as to the recovery approach you choose.

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary

2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)

If you want to use something to help heal the incision,
BoneSmart recommends hypochlorous solution. Members in the US can purchase ACTIVE Antimicrobial Hydrogelthrough BoneSmart at a discount. Similar products should be available in the UK and other countries.

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
BoneSmart philosophy for sensible post op therapy

5. Here is a week-by-week guide
Activity progression for THRs

6. Access to these pages on the website
Oral And Intravenous Pain Medications
Wound Closure

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask the at each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Welcome to BoneSmart, @Zest. Glad you found us.

Please know that your recovery hasn't "stalled" at all! Joint replacement recovery is a roller-coaster ride -- it's two steps forward, one step back progress. I remember feeling the same way because I was still using walking aids at 5 weeks -- but many of our members do.

You are still very early days in this recovery. My surgeon told me that it can take months for all of our soft tissues to heal from the trauma of surgery and encouraged me to take things slowly.

Please read through the articles Jockette shared above. Also, read through the recovery stories of some of our other hippie members and you will see that you are having a normal recovery.

:flwrysmile:

Thank you for your reassuring words. It has cheered me up particularly as I have heard many people saying they were off all walking aids at 6 weeks. At week 4 my physio told me to do an exercise holding on to a table and lifting my non operated leg off the ground. It was very painful and when I have done this exercise at home I have struggled to walk using 2 crutches but having said that I think in the last week there has been a slight improvement. I don't see my physio for another month and I'm unsure as to whether this exercise is beneficial at this stage. I think I will cut down a bit on this exercise.

I'm unsure as to whether this exercise is beneficial at this stage. I think I will cut down a bit on this exercise.
Cut out any exercise that seems to bother you.

Also, remember this from the recovery guidelines:

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

Feeling a bit more optimistic today. I am now nearly 7 weeks post op. Yesterday I managed to walk a mile alternating between 2 crutches and 1. I can walk for about 5 minutes just using one crutch. Pain level is about 2 after walking and I am only taking paracetamol. Still feeling very frustrated by slow recovery but I am more hopeful now.

Hi Zest,
Don't stress, recovery can take a little longer than you expect. It's more important to walk well with assistive device than limp w/o.
After walking rest & ice the area. You are still very early in recovery & if you are reading others recoveries here you will see many of us took a little longer to fully recover.
All my best.

You are managing your own recovery so work out what is best for you. If you need the crutches use them. Go for small walks concentrating on form and keeping your back straight and heel to toe walking. Even if it doesn't hurt after the walk put your leg up and ice! This is the best way to train your new hip and some physio exercises can cause problems - take it from someone who knows!, You will get there.

Last week I was feeling very low but this week have felt so much better .entally and physically. Thank you to all who offer support and encouragement on this site. A quick update on progress. I am alternating between 2 crutches, 1 crutch and even did 98 steps with no support. Heel to toe walking advice most helpful. After any walking I sit with my legs up and ice. Tomorrow I am going swimming. I was a bit concerned about the walk from the changing area but I rang the pool and they said they have a chair to get me to the poolside. It will be so lovely to get back in the pool. I was an former competitive breast stroke swimmer and before I decided to have the op I asked my OS if I would be able to do that stroke again. I asked him at the 6 week post op appointment when I could swim breaststroke again and he said now! I think I might wait a bit before doing it though. Is anybody else swimming breast stroke after a hip replacement and if so how are you getting on? Best wishes to all on this long and sometimes frustrating recovery.

Wonderful to read that you are ready to get back in the pool, @Zest!

Just remember to take things slowly and be careful no to overdo. Sometimes the bouyancy of the water fools us into trying to do too much. One step -- or make that, stroke -- at a time! :heehee:

Enjoy!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Mojo333
    Staff member since August 15, 2017

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Hessian
Recent bookmarks