THR THR at Houston Methodist on Feb 3

Srtimmons99

Country
United States United States
Feeling great on Day 11. Have had almost no pain. Starting to walk without aid a little around house. Swelling in leg with THR. Can't sleep at all and walking house all night. Very tired legs today after 20 minute walking.

That's great you are getting around without much pain. Sorry you can't sleep, but would advise to find a way to sneak in some naps if you can't get a solid 6-7 at night. I know it's hard to find good positions that are comfortable, but sleep is vital to body repair.

:welome:Hello and Welcome to BoneSmart. Thanks for joining us!
Congrats on your new hip.

It’s good to hear you’re not experiencing pain. If your legs are tired after walking today, try elevating them tonight, it may bring you some relief. There is an article on ELEVATE under Number 2 in the Recovery Guidelines on how to elevate properly. Take notice of the article on ICE under Number 2 also as it will help with the swelling you mentioned.

You may want to walk a little less starting tomorrow, then slowly build distance as your healing hip allows you to do so comfortably. I’m sorry you’re having difficulty sleeping. It is one of the most common complaints in early recovery. It will slowly ease. Catch a nap when you’re able, hopefully that will help.
Stop back often, we’d love to follow your progress and support you as you’re healing.
A peaceful evening to you!

As you begin healing, please keep in mind that each recovery is unique. While the BoneSmart philosophy successfully works for many, there will be exceptions. Between the recommendations found here, your surgeon's recovery protocol and any physical therapy you may engage in, the key is to find what works best for you.

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary

2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. Here is a week-by-week guide

6. Access to these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask the at each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Last edited:
Oopsie…I forgot to ask which hip was replaced so we can add that info along with your February 3rd surgery date as your signature. You can leave it below.
Thanks!

@Srtimmons99 :wave: Happy you've joined us. Sounds like you're doing pretty good for the most part which is great. Sleep is unfortunately one of those things we all tend to wrestle with for quite some time after surgery. As has already been suggested, nap whenever the urge strikes, we do some of our best healing when we sleep.

I had my left hip replaced using the anterior approach.

The skin around my surgical site is peeling. I'm thinking it is from the surgical scrub they used in the OR. It is itchy. But not too bad. Has anyone else experienced this? What should I do?

I developed a rash around the site post op with my first THR. I showed my OS at my 2 week visit and he said it was OK to use Hydrocortisone cream. That stopped the itching and cleared up the rash for me. Ask your OS if you can put anything on it.

Happy One Month Anniversary!
I hope you’re doing well and the itching you mentioned a couple weeks ago has eased.
Leave an update when you’re able, we’d love to read about your progress.
Happy Thursday! :)
@Srtimmons99

@PBhips. This is an old thread and the member hasn't been back in more than two years so you probably won't get a response.

Why not start your own thread, which will seen by more people and will generate more responses for you?

Go to the Hip Pre-op Forum and click on the orange button at the top right of the page that says Post Thread.

Let us know if you need help!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024
  • Axx72
    Staff member since December 27, 2023

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Plerea