THR The Cat Came Back

luvcats

post-grad
Country
United States United States
Greetings. I was immensely grateful for all the knowledge and support I found here at Bonesmart in 2019 when I had both my knees replaced. Now that it's time for a hip, I'm back.

My surgery is May 1.

I'm about to head over to the post-op board to get clear on how hip recovery differs from knee recovery, in terms of pain, non drug pain management, and average recovery timelines.

Hello and Welcome back!
The good news is that most that have experienced both hips and knees, say hips are an easier recovery. Fingers crossed it's the same for you. I will leave some pre-op reading for you with best wishes for your comfort over the next month and a half until your THR.

HIP PRE-OP GUIDELINES

If you are at the stage where you have joint pain but don't know for sure if you are ready to have surgery, these links may help:

Score Chart: How bad is my arthritic hip?
Longevity of implants and revisions: How long will my new joint last?
Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery

Nutrition is of paramount importance. Available here are dietary tips, nutrition basics and additional food supplements. These articles are both general advice on food and specific guidelines aimed at people both pre- and post-surgery.

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced hip, take a look at stories of amazing hip recoveries

Yes, Luvcats, it is generally said that THR is an easier recovery. Welcome back to BoneSmart.

Yes, Luvcats, it is generally said that THR is an easier recovery. Welcome back to BoneSmart.
Thanks. I'm not finding much about how things are different. A lot of the guidance articles are written for both, so not too enlightening.
I remember in knee-land that ice was the absolute most important thing, so I've gotten 2 huge hip pads, since I am a large person.

One of the key differences I have learned in my time on the forums here is that while many knee surgeons insist we must do early aggressive PT (which we disagree with), more hip surgeons are honest that walking is pretty much what's needed, with maybe some light PT exercises AFTER there's good initial healing.

A lot of the guidance articles are written for both, so not too enlightening.
I've been through both hip and knee replacements and found they are very similar during those first two weeks -- when recovery is all about elevating, icing and pain management.

I found the THR recovery was easier than the TKR recovery because the best rehab is simple walking.

For hip recovery, you do not need PT -- in fact, it can be counterproductive. My surgeon recently told me that the majority of patients who are unhappy with their THR outcomes are people who pushed themselves (or were pushed by PTs) too hard with too much exercise early in recovery. (They are also most likely to dislocate.). On the other hand, patients who take things slowly during the first six weeks, and who focus just on walking, are generally the most satisfied with their outcomes.

Let us know if you have other questions. There are plenty of us here who've been through the THR recovery!

Thanks @mendogal and @benne68! That information is very helpful.
Not bending more than 90 degrees is going to be so hard. I've always been super flexible and picking things up off the floor is an ingrained habit.

picking things up off the floor is an ingrained habit.
Same with me. But it's amazing how quickly you can learn to ignore that stuff when you have a good excuse -- um, reason! :heehee:

One of the best devices I purchased for my recovery was this:

1711553326500.png

I still keep it in my kitchen to reach things on the top shelf when my 6ft 2in hubby isn't around. (Much safer than the step ladder!)

@benne68 we have 2 grabbies already! I think I'm going to make a strap to hang if from my walker.

Not bending more than 90 degrees is going to be so hard.
Did you read that somewhere or did your surgeon tell you that. Many of the new approaches don’t have the 90* rule. If yours does then read here for hints on bending using the golfer’s reach and practice getting into bed and out of your usual chair. You may need to order a cushion to sit up higher. Good luck on your surgery and recovery.

Not bending more than 90 degrees is going to be so hard.
Did you read that somewhere or did your surgeon tell you that. Many of the new approaches don’t have the 90* rule. If yours does then read here for hints on bending using the golfer’s reach and practice getting into bed and out of your usual chair. You may need to order a cushion to sit up higher. Good luck on your surgery and recovery.
A dear friend had hers done very recently, so I've been assuming, but because of my shape, I know my surgeon plans to do one of the older approaches.

I already have plans to get a big piece of cushion foam when I get back from our trip.

We are headed out for a 2 week cruise to see the eclipse. 4.5 minutes of totality off the coast of Mexico. It would have been so nice if the cruise could have been after the new hip. But it will still be wonderful and amazing.

We are headed out for a 2 week cruise to see the eclipse. 4.5 minutes of totality off the coast of Mexico. It would have been so nice if the cruise could have been after the new hip. But it will still be wonderful and amazing
How fun! Wishing you lots of comfort on the trip. Safe travels and enjoy!

The eclipse was amazing.

Tomorrow is the pre-op tests. Fingers crossed.

Glad you enjoyed your eclipse cruise, @luvcats. Hope all goes well with your pre-op visit today. Let us know.

Preop testing seems to have gone well. The tech said my ekg was perfect, and all the blood values were good except 1, which was 1 point over range, so I hope that won't matter.
The range for blood glucose around here runs up to 99. My value is always 100. Over YEARS! Silly body.

Hi @luvcats
Glad everything is on Go for May 1st.
That is my BTHR Hipversary date...7 years it will be so I will be thinking of you and sending good Mojo your way.
Bye Bye Hip Pain:happydance:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Becky56
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom