THR Take a deep breath! Jump in!

gertie

post-grad
Country
United States United States
Well, starting my post-op thread really makes it all real! I'm home right now doing final organizing and waiting for my rental recliner chair to arrive. Down to the hospital tonight and then the op tomorrow. Yikes!

Not sure when I'll post after the op--can't predict when I'll be able to manage that iPad "keyboard" in my foggy state.

Thanks for all the good advice over the past few weeks.

@gertie - Hi Lynn. If you've got an iPad and had spinal/sedation (sorry, cannot recall) you may be surprised. I only delayed because I wrote my long and detailed epistle with ALL the details (because I thought it would help others and also for reference for Leftie), but did post to confirm a thumbs up and to say all went well.

Now let the calm take over, relax, sit back and let the magic happen. :chillpill:
It's over to the A Team and all you need to do is follow the BS mantras. Wishing you well - so excited for you!:yay:

@Miss Muffet Thank you for the good wishes. I don't know what kind of anesthesia--quite possibly a general.
Speaking of iPads--I have never mastered the thumb technique for either iPad or iPhone but I was talking to some folks who teach young kids and discovered that kids have a hard time learning keyboarding skills because they're so used to using just their thumbs--don't know what to do with the other 8 fingers!

And, the rental chair has arrived and I"m not sure about it. It's huge in terms of width--could fit 2 of me--but doesn't accommodate my height--my feet hang off the end. So we'll see how much I use it. Hopefully my comfy couch will suffice.

@Jaycey Thanks for your good wishes. I think the chair is just not made for a tall person.--I did ask about that and they assured me it was for a large person. But it turns out not someone 5' 10"! Footrest hits me at my ankles and I'm not sure how I'd get a pillow on there and have it stay in place, especially without reaching forward, plus my head comes up above the back so I can't rest it back and the lumbar piece is a bit intense. So I'll sit there some but it won't be my favorite spot I'm afraid. I'll have to make the couch work.

That really stinks about the recliner. :( I am 5' 9" so I totally understand. I have the same problems with our reclining couch.

Good luck tomorrow! Hope you have a good surgery and fast recovery. :)

I know--doesn't seem like 5'10" is all that tall! I definitely need to do some shopping for a comfy chair that fits me--when I'm mobile again.

@gertie I have been looking for a recliner to purchase to have in the house for my surgery. It is really hard to find one that is long enough. So far, no luck. But I cant really go walking around a bunch of stores every day either. We go to one store every other week or so. LOL

@Tweetybrd Oh, I know. I tried chair shopping one day a few weeks ago and after 2 stores and many times sitting down and standing up again I was hurting and hobbling! There's a chair I've seen online but want to try out before I buy and would need to drive to Gloucester MA, which is about 100 miles from me--maybe in the spring!

Well done @gertie ! Here are your recovery articles to refer to through this journey:
First are the BoneSmart mantras ....
- rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds by the clock
- if it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physiotherapist - to do it to you
- if your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again
- if you won't die if it's not done, don't do it
- never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lie down, never stay awake when you can go to sleep!
- be active as much as you need to be but not more than is necessary, meaning so much that you end up being in pain, exhausted or desperate to sit down or lay down!

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery
Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Activity progression for THRs
Home physio (PT)
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

Glad you are all done @gertie. Thought about you and @Krista in the morning yesterday and saying a prayer for all pre and postop. Watched movies in the evening with feet propped up and dietary bringing me food. Never sleep when I am there due to adrenaline I suppose. Hope you both can breathe a sigh of relief that surgery is done!

@gertie I am sure your case manager can make arrangements for rehab for you to stay somewhere for a specified
Number of days. Now that I am home I am already asking for ice bags to be filled. You just need extra helping hands while you are waiting for your leg muscles to accept the new hip. They seem to refuse at first! It is a wise thing to do! Let us know what you find out!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Roy Gardiner
    Staff member since February, 23, 2013
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015
  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017