TKR SuzyQ58 in recovery

Thanks Jockette, thank goodness it’s going to be extremely cold this week so I’m just going to ice, elevate, and watch lots of Netflix :) My right knee was so easy but this one is so different. My surgeon told me my right knee was actually “abnormal” because I had no pain or swelling. He said my left knee is totally normal ‍♀️. So crazy how 2 knees on the same body can be so different !!

We have many members say how different both knees recovered.

It reminds me of a friend of mine who’s first baby was easily upset, active/didn’t sleep, etc. Her second baby was calmer and slept well and she thought something was wrong with the second baby. One of my other friends told her, no, this is what babies are supposed to be like! :rotfl:

I hope your knee settles down soon.

I’ve been reading many posts on here about our knees and how much cold weather affects them. That’s for sure! I lived in St. Louis and the wind chill is 25 below and my knee is telling me that. It hurts in 2 places, the inner part of my knee and the outer part. The outer part gets so hard and tight! Any ideas on how to relieve this tightness? Tomorrow will be 8 weeks for me. I never had this with my other knee but probably because I had that one replaced in the summer! ‍♀️

Ice and elevation and rest are the best things to get that fluid out of your knee.

I agree Sisters. I did exactly that today and tonight and it feels much better tonight. I was holding my 4 month old grand baby yesterday while standing and maybe that was too much for my new knee ?

I was holding my 4 month old grand baby yesterday while standing and maybe that was too much for my new knee ?
Oh yes, I bet that was it. I remember my first trial at carrying a 10 lb box and that night and the next day may knee threw a fit. No more lifting for another month or so. Then, it was much better about it. Time is the healer of these knees and nothing else!

Yes, next time do the "baby therapy" :wink: sitting down. :)

Yes, carrying or holding things with full weight on your knee is like gaining that much weight over night. It’ll be fine later, but for now kneeper is right, hold the baby while you sit.

Just wanted to check in since I haven’t been on for a while. My hubby and I left for Florida for a week. We drove and knee did pretty good. We stopped every 4 hours to get out and walk and stretch. Once we got to Florida we walked our dogs a few times a day. My knee did great! I had no pain while I was walking and no swelling afterwards. I’m now back in St. Louis and my knee is a little more swollen. I couldn’t walk today because we had freezing drizzle and didn’t want to fall. I really think the walking in Florida helped my knee!! Are you all in agreement that walking is good for the knee?

I’m sure the warm Florida weather was a bonus for your knee, also.

You’re coming along great!

Thanks Jockette, I think so too. I don’t remember the last time I walked with no pain!! It feels wonderful!!! Hopefully the swelling will go away soon but it’s much better than it was a month ago. I am now just taking 1 Celebrex a day instead of 2 because I was worried about my stomach. I’m only taking extra strength Tylenol 1-2 times a day as needed for pain.

That’s awesome that you have no pain. That’s what this surgery is all about. I’m sure your swelling will go down as you continue to heal.

Hi SuzyQ58,

You're about six weeks ahead of me and it's very encouraging to hear how well you're doing. Keep up the good work!

Hi SuzyQ58,

It sounds like you're doing great! Did you do any water walking or swimming while in Florida? I hope to start pool walking soon.

I'm in west central Illinois and can sympathize with our nasty weather... can't wait for spring and real walking outdoors!

Shamann98 I did not swim at all this trip. I had my right knee replaced last May and I walked in my pool all summer. It feels so great to be in water. Today I went over to my mother in laws. She lives in an assisted living place and I walked the halls Hopefully my knee will continue to do this well:)

I’m a huge proponent of walking to help with a TKR. It just has start slowly and not involve pain. It looks like you’ve found a balance!

Suzyq58...loved reading your posts, have a great positive mental attitude! Since your 2nd TKR, did you have any negative effects on your 1st TKR?
Asking because I had LTKR January 2017. bilateral microdiscectomy Feb 12 2019. Now my left knee feels boggy and tingly...PA said my nerves are just recovering.

Kneegrrl59 Fortunately I haven’t had any issues with my first TKR. It feels really good right now and has healed nicely. Yesterday I went for my 12 week checkup for my left TKR. This one is not healing as quickly. I’m having problems with my hamstring now. It’s very tight and painful. My surgeon suggested stretching exercises at home and then heat to follow. I did not have this with my last knee replacement so I’m a little discouraged. Hopefully these home exercises will help. If not he will write me a script for PT. My knee still swells up as well.

@SuzieQ58
I am 13 weeks PO and my knee is stiff and swollen. It was better last week. I dont recall doing any added activity either. Today I'm resting and icing, and will do so for the next several days to see if this will help.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
wofsie
Recent bookmarks