• SCHEDULED MAINTENANCE. BoneSmart will be unavailable from 8:00am - 10:00am CDT on Tuesday, May 21, 2024 due to required systems maintenance and upgrade.

If you are unable to log in, please check back later and the maintenance should be completed.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

THR SurreyGirls's 2nd THR Journey

Update
Just got back from a lovely holiday in France. The leki stick stayed in the car... I manged to walk up a few hills, took paracetemol to avoid stiffness and had lovely hot baths when I could. Managed creaky stairs in old hotels without a problem and getting in and out of baths.
Almost all the stiffness I was moaning about now resolved. Scar still looks rather red 8 months on so guess there is still some healing to do. using body lotion and scar oil helping.. Most of the beds I slept in were really comfortable but, after one nights sleep back at home, one of my toes is back to looking arthritic and painful and stiffness in upper leg this morning. I am going to look into a thick mattress topper before investing in a new mattress but I think that is in my future..

Hope everyone is doing well!

@SurreyGirl after having 2 months of sleep misery after my first THR I bought a new mattress. I am now almost 2 weeks past THR #2 and I can’t believe the difference a good mattress makes. Sleeping well! I hope you do too.

Happy Eight Month Anniversary, Surrey Girl!
Nice to read you enjoyed your time in France. I hope you have a wonderful Spring!
@SurreyGirl

Thank you Layla….

Stiffness still there but I can sleep on my side much better now.

I still use the Leki for walking long distances or when carrying something heavy on my back but all good.

Have started regular aqua aerobics and Poolates both of which are helping. I’m rubbish at Poolates and got told off for laughing at the back of the class as I was spoiling the Zen feel but it was fun. I ached the next day but the limbs are loosening up nicely. Only casualty was my big toenail that half detached itself during Aquazumba. Yuk!

Next biggest challenge will be retirement end of July. I have very mixed feelings about this but am investigating other classes at the Club - a sort of “sport of the month” to try and find out what suits me and then attend on a regular basis.

I might finally try my hand at writing properly as I always enjoy it.

Thanks to all of you for your encouragement over the years and the Next Big Step awaits (pun intended)!

All my best on upcoming retirement. Everyday is Saturday! LOL!
My partner & I say we wonder how we found time to work before retirement because the days fly by.
We all need a little hobby (or grandkids) in our case.
Volunteer work as well as just working on your own health is an excellent endeavor.
I volunteer at a dog rescue & love it.
I also dog sit & get paid for that so a little extra cash never hurt.
I enjoy the pool as well, makes your whole body feel good & my son has salt water pool & I think salt is so good to absorb into your skin. Takes away the little aches & pains we can't avoid.
Sounds like overall you are coming right along, some stiffness hits me early in AM but works itself out. That's another benefit of getting in pool.
Stay well.

I hope this isn't farewell for good. I wish you all the best in your retirement. With two new hips, the possibilities of fun filled activity is endless. :wink: Enjoy!
@SurreyGirl

Thanks everyone! I am very busy workwise up to my retirement including writing up a proper handover.
Any more tips ala GlassHalfFull re enjoying a retirement having been a workoholic very welcome!

I am still having a few issues with the scar even after 9 months.. - it gets a bit achy and stingy after Aqua and the top of the thigh is still stiff but all manageable. I use biooil on the scar after showering and really massage it in. I still do stretches and heel pumps when I wake up in the morning and this helps my pesky arthritic toe which is now more of a nuisance than either hip.

Many milestones met including putting on my socks, getting in and out of the bath without thinking about it and attempting poolates which I find hard but rewarding. Onwards!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Riveralex
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom