• SCHEDULED MAINTENANCE. BoneSmart will be unavailable from 8:00am - 10:00am CDT on Tuesday, May 21, 2024 due to required systems maintenance and upgrade.

If you are unable to log in, please check back later and the maintenance should be completed.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

THR SurreyGirls's 2nd THR Journey

Wine tasting sounds like fun! Take crutch as offer of a seat may make it more relaxing for you! Enjoy your evening!

I have bottled it. temperatures due to go down and I don't fancy driving in icy conditions so giving it a miss. Shame but it is the right decision..

So just 4 months out from my hip op.
Pros
Shoes now fit and I am walking on slight heels. Gait good.
I can get my socks on and even M&S 40 denier stretchy tights!.
Driving getting easier but I am still using a disabled slot so I can open the car door wide.
Walking is pretty good now

Cons
I am still having trouble sleeping on my non-op side. The op hip is very stiff and it doesnt feel natural so still part-sleeping on my back... I didn't have this issue last time around
Scar still itchy and zappy but the biooil calms it down. Still looks a bit angry.
Very stiff in the morning but walking helps that as does a hot shower and I still ice after exercise.
I still get very tired after work - more than I would usually do.

All in all pretty good and I am grateful for the help and advice on here from everyone.

Next project - getting in and out of the bath (carefully)

@SurreyGirl Good luck with the bath. I used to enjoy a long hot soak in the bath with bubbles and a glass of wine. Even at a year out I haven’t braved getting into the bath yet. I have kind of got used to having a shower and life in retirement is less stressful and the bath doesn’t call to me the way it used to.
Let us know when you’ve achieved your new milestone. :bath:

Scar still itchy and zappy but the biooil calms it down. Still looks a bit angry.
Does icing help this at all? The itching or redness (assuming that's what you mean by angry)

Depending what your bathtub and surrounding space is like, check out on Amazon, Bathtub Safety Rail Shower Grab Bar Handle that you can securely clamp / tighten onto the side of the tub, not a wall suction mount type device that I'd NEVER trust.

Have a great night and weekend, SurreyGirl! :wave:

Thanks both….I’ll let you know how I get on re the bath.

Yes I still ice the scar area when it plays up.

Excited for you! Hose/tights and normal shoes sounds divine! I am wearing chef’s clogs (good non-slip sole) and fleece lined clogs. I have started wearing scarves with my coats. It just dawned on me that my shoe choices are causing me to reach for fun colored winter scarves.
A scented Epsom salt bath sounds very relaxing at this point so I hope you can manage one. Have a great weekend!

Had another pool physio session today.. Got to "play" with some of the toys.. Underwater treadmill was fun and also the "walking against the jets" exercise..
I was very proud of the strength of my new hip and was feeling pleased with myself until my therapist said the jets were on their lowest setting! Still, all went well and I don't have too many muscle aches afterwards although ice at the ready just in case. Exercising in the warm water does really help counteract stiffness. Onwards!

Happy New Year everyone and I hope all your recoveries go well…

I was in Brighton for a few days (had a fab time( and walked from the hotel to the pier and then to the north of the Lanes. Total
About 2 miles. The furthest I had done up to then was 1 mile.

I thought it would be easy but it wasn’t. That, combined with a room four flights up some twisty stairs at the hotel 2-3 times a day really did my hip in.

Very stiff today and icing and can hardly walk…I’m trying not to feel
Frustrated - I have a lot to be thankful for..

It seems I was a little too confident re my walking ability 4.5 months out :-(

Happy New Year @SurreyGirl :mcoffee:
Sorry you are having a bit of a setback after the Extra ...
I know you are ready for this hip to be ready to do what you are ready to do.:umm:
You are doing the right thing by getting some icing and resting...
Keep the faith, my friend...
You are going to get through this.

We all have over estimated our abilities at one point or another during recovery. Rest & Ice and you will feel better soon.
Happy New Year!

Happy New Year @SurreyGirl It sounds like a nice holiday! Sorry about the extra soreness, that appears to be my new normal. I went to hear live music with my son- next day tiredness and soreness descended.

It is so annoying! Will give it another two months and then ask for a checkup..we should keep each other posted x

Last edited:
Aww, sorry about your little setback. But I bet it was a fun holiday. Hopefully a few days or rest and our beloved ice will get you back up and walking better.
You are in that stage where it's a test to see what is possible without returning to the ODIC!!

Happy New Year!

I think you make a good point. At this stage I was assuming they apart from a tight hip and a stinging scar on occasions I would be back to normal but yesterday proved I have to be careful.

However I would not have been able to manage those stairs before and it will be a goal to do them again in three months time :)

Update..I went to the pool therapy session with some misgivings. The physio, Jane, was wonderful... She tested the strength of the new hip and is very pleased with how it is going. It is my calf muscles that are tight rather than the hip and she said this was normal if I am not used to walking two miles as yet. The hip is fine this morning and she has given me some stretching and balancing exercises to do when using stairs so if I need a "comfort break" in the office I go off and find some stairs at the same time to practice balance. I am also using the loo three floors down to make me do steps.. all good!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Riveralex
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom