THR SurreyGirls's 2nd THR Journey

I have you started on your Healing Recovery thread.
Glad you stayed calm through the chaos....
Healing hugs my friend!:friends:

:wave:Welcome to Recovery! Let the fun begin. :happydance:
I hope you’re resting comfortably and any pain is well managed.
Wishing you all the best, SG.
@SurreyGirl

Oh the “fun” has already started!
More later but currently sitting in a wet bed where the catheter was taken out and inadequate tissue so a “great” start to my first morning. I have my Tena lady pants. Ready to go on but if only someone could help me with the bedpan!

I have asked for morphine as trying to stay ahead of the pain. Last dose 9:30pm.. I’m being asked am I “ in pain” but the admissions Sister strongly suggested I got ahead of it.

Last edited:
To recap. Hospital screws up the Admissuon time - they have admitted it. I was called in for7-15 am only to find the op as scheduled for 13:15 and then finally nearer 3:30-4. So no food since 8:30 the previous evening and no water for nearly 8 hours. Crazy.

Anaesthetist was great as was the Registrar. I emphasised my pain concerns. No issue with the epidural .

Came round and was in recovery for quite a while. Dinner was finished so had a sandwich and tea on the ward. In with some dementia patients so sleep was hard but I listened to my headphones and drifted in and out. . Asked for and got morphine at 9:30 pm and at 6:54 just now. I’m writing down the times I have it… so far so good. I can move my leg more than with the previous hip..

Spoke too soon. X Ray today and physio plus walking. Log leg being lifted by other people sone more gentle than others.. And pain started big time. Such a shame as had been doing really well.

And one agency nurse not showed tonight so Kelly looking after 18 patients one of whom is rather poorly, and they are an hour behind with the meds. Poor old NHS and poor patients . Hoping to get more than three hours sleep tonight.. !

Hope you're sleeping well as I type this, given the time difference.
With any luck, Friday will be better than Thursday. :fingersx: Keep us posted. We'll be here. :)
@SurreyGirl

04:07 uk time. Thanks xx Sadly they were nearly 2 hours behind with the meds thanks to a medical emergency and being so short staffed so I am now chasing the pain. Got 4 hours sleep, and now have more morphine so fingers crossed. I am mobile but in a lot of pain and will refuse the physio unless I can get ahead. History now repeating itself! Going to try to sleep some more but dementia patients and staff chatting in the corridor earlier not helping. Ho hum!

@SurreyGirl Oh gosh!! Hang in there! What a poor way to run a surgery recovery unit,, I think every place is short staffed but 1 nurse for 18 patients makes my skin crawl..
How much longer are you in for? I think I would want to begin insisting on getting discharged with a huge bottle of pain meds and take care of myself!
I hope your day gets better, today and you can get some sleep tonight.

Hi there. Well last night was awful. Because of the emergency situation taking priority we were all about 2 hours behind with the meds. The spinal has worn off so the pain hit like a wall. It was impossible to do the physio this morning. However due to the Doctors strike we were being discharged early. I hadn’t practised getting in and out of a car and can only just about walk but one of the loveky aides took me down in a wheelchair and helped me get in. Some pain but not too bad . So after only two days in the NHS hospital I am now in the Hotel for Hippies. Immediately I got a comfortable feeling. I’m not very hungry right now but the food is superb. Bar a rather pushy physio (more of her later) the rest of the staff are wonderful.

Looking back at my NHS experience this time, the staff were good but very hard pressed. They tried their best with the meds to keep ahead of the pain - an improvement on before but were rushed off their feet. My fellow patients were great and we all looked after each other sharing biscuits and fruit and ringing bells on other patients behalf when they got into trouble. The q for the bathroom in the morning was funny as we all seemed to get the urge at the same time so we’re queuing with our Zimmer frames. As peope came out we were joking about mirror, signal , manoeuvre and driving on the left and had the staff laughing. We shared our chocolate and biscuits with them. I also shared my tamarind balls and one Nigerian staff member got quite emotional as her grandmother used to make them.

I gave up the q as was at the back of it and got a commode, only to be interrupted by someone opening the curtains to ask what I wanted for lunch. The hospital food lived down to its reputation sadly! Tinned potatoes. Really? And puréed everything.

A very different story at the Hotel for Hippies where, this evening, I was offered a “light” snack of Feta cheese and Parma ham and asparagus puffs (puff pastry) and homemade celery soup! Delicious… we get hairdressing, pedicures, physio, ice machines, and - new for me “motivational talks… “… but is lovely in my own room with 24 hour nursing on call…hopefully I will sleep well tonight as I have only had 7 hours over the last 2!

“Step by Step” by Whitney Houston in my ears. Goodnight everyone !

Last edited:
I was offered a “light” snack of Feta cheese and Parma ham and asparagus puffs (puff pastry) and homemade celery soup! Delicious… we get hairdressing, pedicures, physio, ice machines, and - new for me “motivational talks… “… but is lovely in my own room with 24 hour nursing on call
Wow! Can you stay for a month? :wink:
Hopefully the reassurance of knowing you’ll be well taken care helps you relax enough that you get some solid restorative rest overnight. :yawn::sleep:

Well I had an issue with the physio at the private recovery home . She was trying to sell me two sessions a day (physio is extra)… I said firmly I only wanted one. She then suggested started with 2 and dropped down to 1. Again I said no. I know I need rest and visitor time here. She then did the initial assessment and I was at the end of the morphine window so it was v painful. After 30 mins I asked her to stop and said I knew the bed exercises so could do these on my own!
I am mentioning this because last time I am convinced I had a physio who pushed me too hard with bridges and clams and set me back. And I wanted others here to know that you don’t have to go to extremes.

My bed is too short! Must have been made for a 5’ 2” person so when I extend out to try and do the leg presses I hit the bar at the end. They are sorting this out today.

Great breakfast of marmite, toast, prunes and avocado and three cups of tea. “SurreyGirl” rather clogged up atm but producing Force 5 winds so I live in hope.

On my way :)

pushed me too hard with bridges and clams and set me back.
I know you realize, but for the benefit of others in early recovery that may not -

Bridges - can cause generalized tendinitis particularly in quads, glutes and hamstring
Clamshells - especially hard on the IT band

I hope its a Happy day at the Hotel for Hippies!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Riveralex
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom