Bilateral TKR Suddenly I have knee pain

Sparkle3

Country
United States United States
About 4½ years ago I had a bilateral TKR. I have been doing well until last week. I have started to feel pain in the outside of my left knee when walking. I did not injure my knee in any way. I am a little worried because the pain is starting to limit my walking. I have not made an appointment with my surgeon because I am hoping it will work itself out.

Any and all information would be appreciated.
Thank you
Sparkle3

Have you done if different movements that you can think of? Have you tried icing and elevating it? Tylenol is normally a good pain reliever for me. You could try that. I hope it settles down.

I'm going to ask @Josephine to advise you.

Have you taken on any additional activity lately?

I'd really like to offer you some structured advice but in order to do that, I also need to ask you some questions. Are you willing for me to do that?

Absolutely, I will answer any questions. The only thing I can think of that I did differently: is on New Year's Eve I went to a party and danced the entire evening. I had no pain while dancing, the pain did not begin until January 8th.
Thank you for your help.

Here y'go then!

It would be very helpful if you would answer each one individually - numbered as I have done - in as much detail as you can then I'll come back as see where you are ....

1. what are your pain levels right now? (remember the 1-10 scale: 1 = no pain and 10 = the worst you can imagine. And don't forget to factor in other forms of pain such as soreness, burning, stabbing, throbbing, aching, swelling and stiffness).

2. what pain medications have you been prescribed, how much are you taking (in mg please) and how often?

3. how swollen is your leg compared to these?
ai63.tinypic.com_eta39s.jpg

4. what is your ROM - that's flexion (bend) and extension (straightness)

5. are you icing your knee at all? If so, how often and for how long?

6. are you elevating your leg. If so how often and for how long?

7. what is your activity level? What do you do in the way of housework, cooking, cleaning, shopping, etc., and

8. are you doing any exercises at home? If so what and how often?
This is the most crucial question so please help me by using the format I have left as an example
(which means please make a list and not an essay!)

Exercises done at home
- how many sessions you do each day
- enter exercise by name then number of repetitions of each
etc., etc.

Anything done at PT
- how many times a week
- enter exercise by name then number of repetitions of each
etc., etc.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011