• SCHEDULED MAINTENANCE. BoneSmart will be unavailable from 8:00am - 10:00am CDT on Tuesday, May 21, 2024 due to required systems maintenance and upgrade.

If you are unable to log in, please check back later and the maintenance should be completed.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Sporthog’s total right shoulder replacement

So glad to hear, my recovery buddy! It's starting to look like we have this shoulder thing knocked.

@SportHog have you been cleared to drive yet? Sounds like you are doing really well!

WooHoo! I jumped the gun a bit yesterday and drove myself to get a haircut. No problems at all. Now the main activity will be doing the physio. I am still using a wedge in bed to sleep. Looking forward to removing the wedge since it makes it difficult to sleep. We shall see!

Shoulder has been a bit sensitive over the last couple of days. Sort of an aching sensation. Am cutting back on exercises for awhile.

That sounds like a good plan. Is your therapist doing soft tissue massage for the spots that are painful? I am finding with a shoulder that is very, very important. You can do it yourself too. You can either massage the area the hurts using just enough pressure to feel a slight discomfort. Rub and knead for about 15 minutes. Or, a trick my therapist showed me is to use a tennis or a lacrosse ball to do the massage. You stand near a wall and place the ball on the part of the muscle that hurts. If the tender spot is in a place you cannot reach easily (like the back of your shoulder blades), put the ball in a pillowcase and sling it over your shoulder until the ball is positioned at the sore spot. Then push against the wall as you roll the ball back and forth and up and down over the sore area. Do this for about 15 minutes on each muscle that hurts and you may find some of that soreness either goes away or lessens. Icing the area is good too.

Last edited:
Went to physio today. Nothing exciting. A few more exercises and suggestion that I use pain killers more often to offset the subtle pain I am experiencing. My physio sessions are every 2weeks which is not very often. Just plug away I guess.

Are you doing home exercises regularly? I'd be curious to know what exercises you've been given. Do they do a printout you could post?

Hi Jamie. There are multiple pages of exercises so a bit difficult to post. They include pendulums,flexion,3-way dusting on a flat surface, active assisted press-up, incline dusting, ball roll on wall, upright wall slide, etc. Soft tissue massage also helps as per you suggestion. Will keep plugging at it.

Do you have scan capability on your computer so you could scan them and email them to me at [email protected]?

@SportHog Thanks for keeping us updated! Really helpful since this area of the forum is fairly new.

Do you think your shoulder was uncomfortable due to the exercises? I know shoulders need structure PT. Hope things have eased for you.

Hi Jaycee. I just could not do some of the exercise like extending my arm up a wall. If I assist it with the other arm it is slightly less painful. Icing does seem to help.

I just could not do some of the exercise like extending my arm up a wall.
You are not supposed to force it are you? Give it time - you'll get there!

I had a follow up meeting with my surgeon last week. He was reasonably happy with my progress an indicated range of motion will improve with time. He indicated that my physiotherapy should now include strengthening exercises. Said he would see me in a year unless I have need to see him sooner. So, the exercises continue. No issues with major pain at this point. Be patient Ross!!!!

This is a great report. It sounds like you and I are still going along at about the same rate. It definitely is a slow progress, isn't it!

My physiotherapist started me on the rubber bands and weights last week. This will definitely keep me busy for awhile. Also lots of activity loading and unloading the vehicle for our market last Friday. Tables, canopy, chairs and products. My wife sells jams, jellies and other preserves and I sell various items turned on a lathe such as pens, ice cream scoops and coffee scoops, bowls, etc. Could not help much with the canopy set up because right arm would not raise high enough. Oh well lots more opportunities to come this summer.

You have such a great attitude about this loooong recovery period. I wish I had your patience.

A wooden ice cream scoop sounds really neat. Any photos?

I had my physiotherapy session yesterday. I seem to be making progress and can now raise my arm above my head. Can also comb my hair with my right hand. The biggest gain is that I can now sleep on my right side and stomach. WHOO HOO. Check in later!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Riveralex
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom