THR Spongebob's Recovery Journey

Spongebob

senior
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi i am now 8 weeks post op from my THR and I still have a ache in my hip and also knee pain but the surgeon did make my operative leg 3mm longer so I was just wondering if the pain I am experiencing is normal for 8 weeks after the operation thanks

I’m four weeks ahead of you and still getting random aches and pains in my hips, knees, thighs, sides, lower back, heels, shins.
I’m led to believe from this forum that this is all completely normal and related to a changed gait, using muscles that have been dormant and slowly increasing levels of activity.
I occasionally take a paracetamol or two but usually the aches and pains are not that bad and they ease off after a while.
So while I think they are probably all normal, I would get them checked out if they became stronger or more persistent.

@Spongebob Welcome to BoneSmart! What was your surgery date and which hip. We will put the information in your signature for you.

At only 8 weeks in a process that can take up to one year or longer, this discomfort you are feeling is normal. Are you icing and elevating? Taking pain medication? What PT are you doing (if any).

The articles below should give you an idea of where you are in this recovery.

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
We are all different, as are the approaches to this recovery and rehab. The key is, “Find what works for YOU.“ Your doctor(s), physiotherapist(s) and BoneSmart are here to help. But you have the final decision as to what approach you use.

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of this BoneSmart philosophy for sensible post op therapy
5. Here is a week-by-week guide for Activity progression for THRs
6. Access these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

My surgery date was the 9th January and it was my left hip also I'm doing the pt I was given from the hospital 4 times a day and now at 8 weeks I have started doing strenghing exercises

Thanks for the surgery date.
I'm doing the pt I was given from the hospital 4 times a day and now at 8 weeks I have started doing strenghing exercises
Why 4 times per day? Once per day is probably enough - pending on what exercises they gave you. Far too early for strengthening exercises. Let that hip heal. You are not in training - you are healing.

Read the Big Tip above. Hips don't really need any special exercises. Walking is great rehab!

Also will it be ok to go swimming now I'm 8 weeks out until I can go back to the gym

When do I start strengthening exercises ?

So you suggest I don't do any strengthening exercises or streches at all? Just let it heal all on its own why the knee pain?

Hi @Spongebob,
I'm one day behind you and progressing slowly with gentle walking and basic muscle clenches/stretches. No restrictions now but advice from consultant and physio is to stop if it hurts. I get discomfort / pain mostly along thigh around wound site but also in knee, groin, gluteals and shin and not always on operated side. All your muscles are having to contend not just with surgery but adjusting to walking with a different gait. In my case I had been walking on a damaged hip for almost five years prior to surgery. It takes time to adjust! Knee pain is very common in association with hip problems because many of the hip muscles connect to the knee!

Knee pain comes with the surgery for majority of us. They really manipulate your joints during surgery, thus the pain.
I think 4x's a day for PT exercises is excessive this early in recovery and if you are in pain rest and ice here and there might be the solution.
I think swimming will be after 3 month mark but each surgeon is different in their recommendations.

Reading BoneSmart threads you may notice that younger hippies can recover more easily and quickly than us older folks but also that they, and the formerly very active people, have the greatest difficulty in employing the necessary patience for allowing muscles & tendons to heal before expecting them to undergo strenuous activity. There's a balance to be found somewhere :).
Swimming (gently) certainly helped me at 8 weeks for my other hip replacement a few years ago. :swim:

So you suggest I don't do any strengthening exercises or streches at all? Just let it heal all on its own why the knee pain

Knee pain is very common in association with hip problems because many of the hip muscles connect to the knee!
Gentle stretching should be ok. As everyone else says, remember to ice and take regular painkillers if you are in pain.

So do you think I would be ok to swim now ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you think I would be ok to swim now

So will I be ok to go swimming and also what causes knee pain

My wound is closed with no scabbing so I be ok then to at least I'm doing some activity for my mental health

See answer above about going swimming. You should be fine.

Knee pain can be a result of the procedure as they grab your knee quite aggressively to dislocate your hip. It can also be due to walking with a new gait. Your body is getting used to a new "balance".

If you have not replaced your main walking shoes since your THR do get some new shoes. Wearing shoes with a pre-op wearing pattern can also cause all sorts of aches and pains.

What is causing my knee pain also when Should I be doing strengthening exercises as desperate get to gym

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Wiggum
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom