THR SophyValevskiy's Recovery

SophyValevskiy

Country
Russian Federation Russian Federation
Hello Everybody!
I have finally done it (the right hip for now only but still):wave:
The first couple of days were bad - too much pain and my leg was like a heavy tree - no way to move it.:headbang:
Now it has been a week and I am back home. Is much better I can even walk and do a couple of things with one сrutch to keep one hand free:tada:
My surgeon told me that my muscles around the hip were good and trained and I had little fat under my skin so he could do a smaller cut and anterior approach)
Now I am just taking care to avoid implant dislocation and doing those easy exercises on the bed.
Good luck to everybody in rehabilitation:walking:

Following joint replacement, you may benefit from the use of a Leg Lifter. The Leg Lifter is a mobility aid that can assist in getting in and out of cars, wheelchairs, beds, recliners and much more. The Leg Lifter is an inexpensive option that helps provide safe movement in the early days to weeks of recovery.
Leg lifting is very important in the first days after the surgery. I have managed to train my other not operated leg to be a leg lifter for the sick one:yellowcat:

Welcome to Recovery! Thanks for joining us.
Please leave the date of your Right THR so we're able to create a signature for you.
Using your left leg to lift your right is clever....whatever works! Log Leg as we refer to it is your brain telling your leg to move but the muscles and soft tissue have been so traumatized that there's no reaction.

Here is a more detailed explanation I found through researching -
The first stage of healing is the inflammatory phase. During this time it is very common to notice swelling. After lower extremity surgery, or trauma involving bleeding and inflammation, there will be fluid in the leg causing the sensation of heaviness. Gravity pulls the fluid downward and since the patient is less mobile the fluid is not pumping back through the heart as quickly. The swelling gradually eases, but can persist for up to 3-6 months in some cases. Regular movement will assist in the reduction of swelling, as will elevation and ice. Your surgeon may prescribe compression stockings for a short period of time.

Following joint replacement, you may benefit from the use of a Leg Lifter. The Leg Lifter is a mobility aid that can assist in getting in and out of cars, wheelchairs, beds, recliners and much more. The Leg Lifter is an inexpensive option that helps provide safe movement in the early days, to weeks, of recovery. I will leave our Recovery Guidelines below. please let us know if you have any questions and stop back often. :wave: Best Wishes!

HIP RECOVERY GUIDELINES
As you begin healing, please keep in mind that each recovery is unique. While the BoneSmart philosophy successfully works for many, there will be exceptions. Between the recommendations found here, your surgeon's recovery protocol and any physical therapy you may engage in, the key is to find what works best for you.

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary.

If you want to use something to assist with healing and scar management, BoneSmart recommends hypochlorous solution. Members in the US can purchase ACTIVE Antimicrobial Hydrogel through BoneSmart at a discount. Similar products should be available in the UK and other countries.

2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
BoneSmart philosophy for sensible post op therapy
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this
Activity progression for THRs
The recovery articles
Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery
Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

Nutrition is of paramount importance. Available here are dietary tips, nutrition basics and additional food supplements. These articles are both general advice on food and specific guidelines aimed at people both pre- and post-surgery.

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Please leave the date of your Right THR so we're able to create a signature for you.
Do you mean the date of the surgery of what please? My surgery took place March,14. Thanks:)
And yes I am wearing compression stockings days and nights:sad: I wish I could take them off at night during sleep but my husband goes to work early when I am sleeping and is not possible for him to help me put them back.
I am thinking of buying a device that helps to put on socks and stockings on yourself...

Yes, you're correct...it is your surgery date I was looking for and I created your signature which you will see at the bottom of each of your posts. It's helpful for those stopping by to comment to see your surgery date and how far into recovery you are. Thanks for the information!

If you prefer a different thread title, please let us know and we'll change it for you.
Have a great day! :)
@SophyValevskiy

Welcome to recovery, @SophyValevskiy! I know you waited a long time for this hip replacement, so I'm sure you are happy to be on the healing side.

The best way to recover is slow and steady. Please read through the articles that Layla shared above. Those guidelines made a big difference for me in my recovery!

:hi:Happy One Month Anniversary, Sophy!
How is your recovery going? I hope you're able to update soon.
Have a wonderful week!
@SophyValevskiy

Hello dear!
Thank you for your inquire:)
I am doing well) My hip is feeling stronger (like my own). I am walking in the apartment without any support (no сrutches). I have tried once to go to a supermarket near with a kane. Was fine.
The night pains are getting smaller as well. No more hush pain killers. Only soft like a little aspirine (trombo butt) and devil's claw:)
But I am still afraid to start more activities like swimming pool or walking on ellipse. Just doing exercises on the couch and a little stand up leg backwards and sideways. I think I had a very good surgeon:)
But I am very sas as well because my grown up daughter refused to help me after the surgery and has blocked my telephone numbers:sad:

I apologize for missing your update until now, Sophy. It's good to read your hip is feeling stronger and you're experiencing less pain at night, hopefully allowing you to sleep well. It is always nice to be able to reduce medication. Make sure you get the approval of your surgeon before beginning to swim in a pool. Surgeon's timelines vary for swimming in pools, lakes...even baths, so please first verify it is okay.

I am so sorry you're feeling neglected by your daughter. Possibly she feels inadequate as a caregiver and it's difficult for her to see you in a vulnerable state. Whatever her reason I hope you're able to reconnect soon. In the interim, please know that we're here for support and encouragement whenever you feel in need.
I hope you have a great week, Sophy! :)
@SophyValevskiy

Happy Two Month Anniversary, Sophy!
I hope all continues to go well with your recovery and you're slowly getting back to all that you love.
Have a great day / week and stay in touch! :wave:
@SophyValevskiy

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Riveralex
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom