THR ChrissW's recovery thread

Sounds like you had a successful day. Who cares whether our colors are coordinated, we're wrinkly or in style? Glad you had a good nap, I know sleep, in any increments is a wonderful thing and look forward to the day when I actually get some decent sleep.:catbutterfly:

I wore a loose linen dress and no pants for the first 3 weeks ( not the same one :heehee:)-- so much easier to use the high toilet seat than wearing joggers :yay:-- think its called 'commando style':rotfl:
I'm now fully clothed at 6 weeks, you'll be pleased to know:loll:

Thank you @Elf1 I too, like you I expect, can't actually remember what a full nights sleep is never mind a good nights sleep. Leading up to the operation sleep deprivation was a key factor so I will definetly be celebrating when some normality returns, however long it takes to come.
Out of interest, and not because I'm even considering it yet, but how long do we need to use the raised toilet seat for?

I think I've read the average is about 6 weeks.
I'm sure others will stop by and comment. :wave:
@ChrissyW

@Hoppy Nanny I came home one day, about two months after my TKR, to find that my husband removed the raised seat. I WAS FURIOUS!!!!!! Did I need it still... no. Did I want it still? YES!

That being said - I was physically able to rid of it between 6-8 weeks. But it sure was nice in the middle of the night!

@JennyLynne i think I'll be glad without mine, I feel 'perched'! I'm presuming you're using it again and hopefully you've given your husband strict instructions to 'leave it be'. Enjoy the rest of your day whatever you may be doing

Well, we got a new one this time around. My husband didn't just remove it last time - he tossed it!

Oh no! Tossing the raised seat.. how dare he @JennyLynne!!
it’s amazing how low it feels without it ... I had ‘comfort height’ toilets installed... my hubby hates them but he can’t toss them away!![emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ladies I shall ensure I take care when the seat is eventually removed to avoid any free falling. I wonder if I will grow as attached to mine after using it for the next few weeks

Good day one and all. Didn't get the same type of sleep last night as the previous. I was so happy with the couple of hours proper sleep and I thought it would continue but clearly not, another night of dozing and cat naps. Finding a back pack really useful at the minute to bring odds and sods to make a drink in the room. Means I have no worries about holding anything but the sticks. Also, feel a bit strange asking this but did anyone else get a sore bottom? This adds to issues when sleeping because lying completely flat makes my keg uncomfortable but sitting propped up is sore. I'd thought about the inflatable seat cushions but dismissed that idea as it might impact my hip it not being a firm surface and I'm worried about sitting at any angle and try keep myself as aligned as possible so was worried about popping a cushion under one cheek. Any tips greatly received

I sleep with a soft pillow under my knees which really relieves the low back ache. For my butt, my sore spot is right on the tailbone and can get really uncomfortable after being in the same position for even 30 minutes. I alternate between using a very small cushion under one cheek, then the other. I also sit on a defrosted but sometimes still cool gel ice pack. The small cushion goes quite flat but just enough difference to shift my weight on the sore area and doesn't seem to bother my hip at all. So far the skin hasn't broken on mine and fingers crossed it never does!

@Carriemay60 i might have to try a small cushion. Mine is just slightly lower than the tailbone(!) and raised but not broken skin, bit like a sore rash. I'm wondering if ointments might help. It seems a vicious circle, need rest which means sitting but need to move too to take pressure off. :thud::bored:

Somewhere in my house I have a barrier cream I used last time but since I can't find it I am just using a over the counter glycerine ointment. Mine is also dry and rashy and I have been very nervous of it splitting.

I had sore heels from trying to push myself up the bed. Now I sleep on top of a lovely snuggly fleece. It is softer under my sensitive flesh than sheets would be. I have noticed that I can't stand anything that is even slightly scratchy on any bit of my body. I also don't like anything fizzy in my mouth which is a real shame as I bought loads of sparkling water.

Hey @Fairydell and @Carriemay60 just noticed your exactly a month ahead of me. Is there anything specific I should be expecting? Took my dressing off today as I'd had dissolvable stitches and I'm amazed at how long the wound actually is (all the bruises were covered by the es sing too)

Hi @ChrissyW
Using the Activity Progression for THR was helpful to me in early recovery. It's only a rough gauge but in the early days I found it encouraging to look ahead to see what I may be capable of over the next week, two, or three.
Not sure if that's what you mean by "anything specific I should be expecting" but at any rate the article is useful - http://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/activity-progression-for-thrs.13187/
Hope you have a great Thursday and a relaxing weekend!

Happy Friday everyone. Just a quick question. Did or does anyone else have the tinzaparin self injections? Is there a reason some of us get these rather than tablets as blood thinners? I really don't like doing them, always needs a sharp intake of breath beforehand!!

I had them for 4 weeks @ChrissyW
They are a pain but I got my hubby to do them for me... better angle and less bruising....they are funny cos sometimes they sting & sometimes they don’t!![emoji848]
I had them as I’ve a history of DVT/PE’s but sometimes it’s the surgeons protocol.

As for the sore bottom... ouch..definitely!! Used cetraban before I popped myself into bed....it helps. But CarrieMay’s suggestion of a small pillow helps as it changes position slightly... I also wedge a bigger pillow under my non op side just to raise that slightly... I’ve more pillows than enough... pillow city [emoji23][emoji23]
Hope you sleep better tonight [emoji3590]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Alwaysknitting
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom