THR sleeping on side after 3 weeks

Status
Not open for further replies.

formula4spd455

Country
United States United States
I know I have to put pillow between legs to sleep on my old hip but how long before you can sleep on your new hip side and do I need pillow that side too.

Check with YOUR OS to see what he/she wants you to do !!

FWIW .... my OS said okay after 3rd week. The first few nights it was tender and sore so I couldn't stay on the op side more than an hour, but it felt good to have two sleep sides back again. No pillow under, just between the legs, and of course observe all of the restrictions when rolling over.

Good luck

Hi Formular and Kevin,

Finally yes I too can sleep on my new hip side, yes it was tender at first now fine. I still use pillow between legs probably a habit like a fix habit!

Yes to checking with OS first, I don't remember having restrictions on that then again I don't think I asked duh!

Happy healing!

xxooxx

My OS had me wait a full 12 weeks, but it was 7 months before I laid on my R side (1st hip) and I haven't ventured trying to lay on my L hip yet. It does take time but do ask your OS and even then it may take some time and patience. I started with about 1-3 minutes at a time and built up and then one night I just fell asleep on my R side. Sure feels good when you can do it. Take care and all the best to you.

I agree please talk to your OS first.

IF you are sleeping on your THR side then you wouldnt technically need a pillow but it might still be comfortable.

I have been able to sleep on my R side for about 3 weeks. Yes it can be tender at first. For me I built up the time I spent on it, toughen that side up I guess:th_heehee:

Mine was pretty similar to Jetlag's .OS said it was ok after 3 weeks to sleep on my side with a pillow between my legs. I could only last about a half hour before it became uncomfy... .....but it still felt good to be off my back! My OS actually recommended sleeping on my operated side.......said I won't have to worry about breaking the midline restriction and it helps break down scar tissue. I did have a MIS surgery with about a 4 1/2,incision that was glued not stapled. That might have made it easier. Good luck!! It feels sooo good to get off your back.
Dee

I can't remember when I was able to sleep on my right side but I do remember how wonderful it felt. Now the doctor told me I had to use pillows but I could sleep on my left a couple of days after sugrey which I did and had no problem. It will come when you are ready but I did ask my doctor first before I could sleep on that side. Be careful and take care. :doggieshmooze:tashia:yes 4:

I know I have to put pillow between legs to sleep on my old hip but how long before you can sleep on your new hip side and do I need pillow that side too.

Hello 4spd455, I also am at 3weeks post op. Just this week was I able to sleep on my new hip side. Which brings me to this story.

Wednesday night was sleeping real good, that I must say was a rare occasion. When all of sudden mother nature called. Slumberly I take the walk to the bathroom.

First I must tell you the temporary bed, made up in the living room, is not most comfortable thing. A little to hard for me with being able to feel the springs.

I return back to bed, not remembering I just had major surgery, just plopped back into bed. Wasn't until the pain set in and I stood straight up on the bed, that I realised I had laid smack down on my newly installed hip.

Next day better half brought home a 4 inch pad of foam rubber and placed it on top of that springy mattress. All is good now and I can sleep on my new hip now for short periods at a time.

Maybe I am wrong in advising you this, but if doesn't hurt and you are not breaking any of your precautions, it should be fine. Surely if I am wrong I will hear about it. Because I am sleeping on new hip for as long as it doesn't bother me.

I DREAM of being able to sleep on my side!!! However I have been told in no uncertain terms that that will have to wait until around 4-6 weeks. Sigh!

My surgeon recommends waiting until 6 weeks before sleeping on the operated side. He uses a posterior-lateral approach with the 90 degree restrictions.

It's important to check with your surgeon about things like this because it depends so much on what surgical approach you had and other little things that are individual to your surgery. For example, some surgeons want partial weight bearing for uncemented and others say full weight bearing is OK from the get go, as mine said. I also was given permission to do more things than many other surgeons in my area, but lying on the operative side is on the "wait till 6 weeks" list.

I am a little more than 4 weeks post op and for about a week, I've been lying on my unoperated side with a big king sized pillow between my legs for part of the night, but I get a little nervous that my leg will slide as I sleep and seem to gravitate back to my back for the majority of my sleep, just to be on the safe side. It does feel good, though, to just lie on my side for a while and takes pressure off my back.

Although I'm a natural side sleeper, I've kind of gotten used to sleeping on my back for the past 4 weeks. I use lots of pillows so I'm not so flat and sometimes put a pillow under my knees if my back is bugging me.

Dorothy

Everything said is good and true!

But I must tell you these two stories:
sister #1 had her hip done a couple of year ago and went to see the surgeon for 6 week follow-up. During the appt he said she could stop the restrictions to which she said "What are they?" Seems nobody had told her about them!
aflagsforworship.co.uk_jo_pic_images_noideapfp.gif

2. sister #2 had her hip done more recently faithfully applied the restrictions. When she had her 6 week follow-up, she asked the surgeon when she could stop them. He turned and looked at her with annoyance and demanded "Did I tell you to do that?". She had to confess he didn't but had assumed. Turns out he doesn't believe in them! :th_heehee:

Go figure! :snork:

How are you doing? Are you able to sleep on your side yet? We lost touch with you and I am wondering how you are doing? If you could drop us a linel:doggieshmooze:tashia:flowerysmile:

Hi, can anyone tell me the medical reasons for not sleeping on your side? I presume difficulty in turning over, initial wound healing are there but anything else?

For some of us our OS has the 90 degree precaution and sleeping on one's side would break that precaution without pillows placed strategically. It took me 7 month with my 1st THR to sleep on the surgery side, also just plain felt weird until then. Good luck.

The medical reasons are:
a) it would cause pain to lay on the surgical incision
and

b) the top leg drops down to make it a significant dislocation risk - like so
aflagsforworship.co.uk_jo_pic_images_lateratyt.jpg

this violates all three rules to not
- cross your legs
- internally rotate the operated leg
- adduct the operated leg (turn inwards)

Hence the directions to lie on ones back for a period of time with pillows between the legs

Sorry Jo. I inadvertently said 90 degree when I meant crossing legs. My second statement was just that and not a medical reason. Sorry Gopher.

Well, I never noticed! :wink1: I was responding to Gopher's question in post #13!

I struggled to sleep on my back at it drove me mad. 3 weeks post I started sleeping on my right side (good hip) with a body pillow between my legs. I was told I shouldn't sleep on my side for at least 12 weeks but I was naughty and tried it. I slept so much better and I was never worried about dislocation or causing damage as i was still so sore that if I moved when asleep I would wake straight away.
However I cannot stress enough hoe careful you should be and check with someone OS first xx

Just dropped by to say "Hi" and how are you doing? Remember this isn't a race. You have to do things at your pace. I do love to sleep on both sides and not being able to at first was a pain. The first time I tried it I felt the pressure on my incisions. I then turned back on my back. I would keep trying and every time I felt the pressure I would back off. When it not longer did it, I had it made and no longer worried about it. I did ask my doctor when could I start trying to sleep on that side. Please take care and stay safe.:doggieshmooze:Tashia:loll:

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Tallguy51
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom