Ankle Skiing with Total Ankle Replacement

@Jaycey Thank you for your thoughts and for combining my latest inquiry into my initial thread.

Got on the slopes for the first day today. Low snow here in west so just hard, artificial snow groomers for a couple hours. My boot wizard had to do major surgery to get me into my boots (5 months after surgery my left ankle circumference is 1.5 in greater than my right and my left leg and foot is about 3/4" greater than my right about 2" above and below ankle). Did a lot of grinding and re-heated shell with substantial liner padding.

The good news is having my ankle stabilized in a boot makes the basic skiing motion mostly painless. The small movements of feet and ankle needed for edging wasn't painful. I skied relatively cautiously and turns on smooth slopes went well. As anticipated, I could feel the ankle just a bit going over rutted snow or small moguls that started to build. Just slowed down when that appeared and all was cool.

Day after, no issues. Based on day 1, skiing smart is less stressful than a 3-5 mile hike. No new swelling. We'll see how the rest of the year goes. I plan to do relatively more nordic and backcountry this year to minimize repetitive movements and anticipate having to modify boots as swelling gradually decreases. But optimistic so far.

Great report, @Iski! So glad you are able to get your boot modified for your new ankle. I'm sure it felt wonderful to get back on the slopes!

@Iski Congrats on getting back on the slopes and doing what you love to do. Isn't this the reason we have replacement surgery. My BTKR was life changing and I know first hand just how satisfying it is to get back on the slopes.
Good luck with continued success in your recovery.

Just read your posts, 4 months after total ankle, even with setback of incision opening up.
Being skier and boarder all my life. It’s hard to put a boot on with a good ankle.
IT IS really incredible that you got into a ski boot and actually made some runs, isnt it ?
I must ask for photo to prove your story. (Kidding)
Greats story for those of us who feel sorry for ourselves and worry about ever getting our lives back after joint replacement. Thank you.

@Iski congrats on getting on the slope! I'm happy for you. super encouraging. question, how much does your foot hurt (in shoes etc...) since it is so much bigger than your right one. Since I have had 3 surgeries, I've only been using the ankle since....Nov 20? maybe. it is painful as heck, stiff etc. moderate swelling after 30 use. Did you hurt bad the day after you skied?

@dingo dad Interesting that I had just occasional minor pain and stiffness. Nerves feel weird here and there (I had Tarsal Tunnel syndrome diagnosed prior to TAR), but day to day activities I have little pain. First day or two I had zero pain after skiing. Now, after 6 downhill days and 2 Nordic days and a good hike in a 3 week period, my ankle's hurting a bit. Skied an hour yesterday then stopped because I could feel a bit of pain. I'm going to take time off of anything other than walking dog until it settles down..... This continues to be a few steps forward and a few steps back.

@Iski Please ease into activity in stages. Unfortunately this will not be a marathon skiing year for you. I suggest one day skiing and then one day to let that ankle rest. Continuing to stress that new joint is only going to result in swelling and pain.

It won't be like this forever. Just give your body time to heal this year!

Yeah, it's not responding well so I'm going to limit downhill until it feels better. In particular, the hard, artificial snow we have now is likely a good part of the problem. Flat, nordic doesn't seem to be a problem - will be doing more of that and just resting.......

Have TAR scheduled on right ankle for Mar 18. Getting my annual Colorado ski trip in two weeks before that. Hopefully won't be my last. Encouraging to hear you are slowly getting back on the slopes after your TAR.

I also plan to get my left ankle done but need to determine with surgeon when to do that.

@tarbgood Good luck with your TAR and yes, if your ankle allows get your skiing in prior!! I'm experiencing what others have told me: it's a long, slow process. Rehab and a boatload of patience has been my experience. Good luck and enjoy the snows!

Update: I had my 6-month check up and surgeon said X-rays looked perfect. Metal fused well to bone and spacing is as it should be. Now at 7 months I may have turned a corner with skiing . Pain has dropped quite a bit, swelling continues to decline very slowly. Last couple days on slopes have felt better. Continuing to work ankle exercises of movement and stretching along with balance exercises. Remaining cautious, not skiing downhill too often, and listening to pain. XC skiing is good except for the when I need to push heels out (snowplow) to slow speed on hill where I get a bit of pain. Still feeling weird nerve issues here and there. I was diagnosed with tarsal tunnel syndrome a few years prior to TAR. It had gotten better over the years but now that feeling of "lumps" on bottom of foot is pretty notable, but it's minor in the grand scheme.

So, I'm encouraged and hoping for continued improvement. It's a long haul but is slowly improving with time.

What a great update, @Iski! So glad to read you feel you've turned the corner and are getting back to skiing. Just take it slowly!

Still feeling weird nerve issues here and there.
Yes, those can continue for a long time. The good news is that when you get them, it's usually an indication that something is waking up!

@Iski Yes! and it really can happen a loooonnnggg time later.

As example: After my first TKR, I had a numb area below the knee to the lateral side well into my second year. I thought it was permanent. About 20 months post-op, I started having "zingers" in that leg again -- and about a week later, I suddenly noticed sensation in that numb area.

Our bodies really are amazing at healing themselves. :flwrysmile:

9 month update. Last month I was still having a reasonable amount of pain in ankle/foot: a lot from my posterior tibial tendon and then generally in various places. Saw surgeon last week and he confirmed the prosthetic is solid and looks great, whew! He suggested another week of rest then back on PT. I had him view my orthotic options (have had many over the years) and selected one to wear. That has really helped that tibial tendon and I'm feeling a better generally. Will start up PT here shortly and will probably do a couple more easy XC and downhill days on slopes before season end here in late April.

Saw my original PT who gave me some new exercises: prior to getting back to more active PT, moving a tennis ball on bottom of foot and cocoa butter massage around original incision (and where I had wound open up, see above) seems to have helped a bit.

Like many have said, TAR is a long journey. Just got to be smart, patient and diligent in recovery. I'm hopeful that I'll be much better in another 6 months or so :chinstroke:

And, I'm a bit of a data nerd, so if interested: I used a fabric measuring tape to compare the circumference of my left (TAR) and right ankle (wrapped around max ankle bones and lower achilles) which was part of 5 other measurements I've taken ranging from ball of foot to max width of calf. Here's how swelling's slowly gone down in months after surgery showing left (TAR) measure minus right measure, in inches:

Difference Left (TAR) - Right
Months past surgeryAnkle circumference (in.)Sum of 5 measures from ball of foot to max calf (in.)

Very interesting and informative chart, @Iski. Thank you for sharing!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Hyde
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom