Rotator Cuff Repair Shoulder surgery scheduled May 7, Is bicep tenodesis necessary?

EMuller

Country
United States United States
Injured my right shoulder snow skiing. I have complete tears of supraspinatus and infraspinatus. My one and only consult with surgeon before surgery left me with more questions than answers. My question is the surgeon mentioned possibility of open bicep tenodesis. I’m concerned that he may cut my perfectly healthy bicep. The possibility of two rotator cuff repairs, plus a bicep repair has me concerned. Is it crazy to request that my perfectly good bicep be left intact? I’m not trying to tell my surgeon how to be a surgeon, but why cut a perfectly good tendon, to repair two damaged rotator cuff tendons? Anybody had bicep tenodesis done as part of shoulder tendon repair?

Welcome to BoneSmart!

I can't directly answer your question. I did a search of our forums for bicep tenodesis and here's the results.

Hopefully other members will chime in!

Unless you are in horrific pain, it might be worthwhile to have a consultation with at least one more surgeon about your shoulder and what needs to be done. If you have complete tears in your rotator cuff, they normally need to be repaired if at all possible. It is possible that the tendonesis is required to stabilize your shoulder.

Your questions are something that a surgeon who is able to view your shoulder in person and with imaging should answer. I am a bit confused, though….if you didn’t discuss the “why” behind the surgeon’s mention of this procedure when you met with him, how do you know your bicep muscle and tendon are “perfectly healthy”?

You’re right that it’s not good to tell a surgeon how to do his job, but it’s just advocating for yourself to ask questions and to receive a complete explanation of what is proposed to be done surgically and why. If you don’t get that from your surgeon, that’s a sign to keep looking for another doctor.

Thank you very much for your thoughtful answer Jamie. I spend all day today asking questions, looking over as much information as I could get my hands on, and talked to a friend who is in the business supporting orthopedic surgeons in another part of the state. My friend convinced me to get a second opinion and helped me find another surgeon in my area. I'm looking forward to having a discussion with the next doctor. As to your question about my bicep being perfectly healthy, I have no pain while lifting weights with my bicep. The MRI didn't show any bicep damage. To cut a perfectly good tendon to gain access to a damaged tendon seems to be a common practice, but doesn't appear to be standard procedure for all doctors. More consultations to come. Thanks again for your help!

It certainly does appear there is no damage at all to the biceps, so additional opinions and lots of questions are definitely a good idea before committing to any surgery. Good for you and your friend for taking this route!

@EMuller, before the debridement of my left shoulder three years ago, I noticed on information from the insurance company that they had approved a biceps tenodesis. I explained to the surgeon that I seriously did not want that done unless it was absolutely necessary. He acknowledged my objection and explained that he always likes to get that approved before surgery in the event he thought that it needed to be done once he got in there. He ended up not moving the biceps origin. The same thing happened with a different surgeon three weeks ago before a hemiarthroplasty on that same shoulder. He also ended up not moving the biceps origin.

I'd encourage you to share your concern with your surgeon. Perhaps having the insurance approval just in case is a common practice?

Thank you @jss - useful info for us!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
RichM