Shin pain

linette333

senior
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi! I am new here and looking for advice. I have arthritis in my right hip and have been advised by my consultant to have a THR and so I am now on the waiting list. My issue is that I have little pain in the hip itself - the severe pain is in my shin. I know that referred pain is common, but has anyone else experienced pain in the shin?

@linette333 Welcome to BoneSmart! Yes, referred pain is very common. Many of us experienced this. Get that hip replaced before it impacts other areas. Limping around for months really does complicate the recovery.

Thanks for your replies. I think I am just trying to invent other explanations for this unrelenting pain! If only the wait wasn't so long.... But I guess it will give me plenty of time to explore this wonderful forum!

Are you using a cane or crutch to take the weight off that op side?

I hear you on the wait! Had to limp around for 6 months with a collapsed hip the first time around. Second time was 5 months. Hope you get a surgery date soon!

I had arthritis in hip right hip and got very sore shins when walking. After THR I no longer have any shin pain.

Hi Linette. I acquired shin pain about 2 months AFTER my first THR. Thanks to advice here on the forum, I replaced my shoes at that time. It turns out that we maladapt to the shoes we wore before surgery with our impaired walking gait. Then after surgery, when our gait is vastly improved, we are still walking around in those shoes with the abnormal wear patterns, which causes our lovely new gait to still be impaired!

Because you are having shin pain now, I wonder if that will predispose you to still have the same pain after surgery. The moral of this story is to give yourself some time to recover from the surgical pain, but then treat yourself to a new pair of shoes. :)

Thanks, Sharon - I will heed your advice about the shoes when the time comes!

Actually, to still have this shin pain after the THR is my great fear. My problems all started after a platelet rich plasma injection for hip bursitis - I was told that I would need to be totally non-weight bearing for 6 weeks following this if it was to be truly effective. I managed to do this, but I had terrible leg pains as soon as I began to walk again. The worst is the shin pain. I already had some arthritis in the hip, but a new x-ray showed that it had now progressed somewhat. I have seen 2 orthopaedic surgeons. The first is not convinced that a THR will resolve my pain and didn't recommend it, then referring me to another surgeon for a second opinion. This new surgeon thinks it is all referred pain and advises the THR. Hence my dilemma!
(The prp injection did work, by the way! In hindsight, I wish I hadn't had it though ..........)

@linette333

Yes, I have the same problem. I actually have two bad hips -- the right hip is severe; the left hips is moderate -- and I have never had much actual hip joint pain at all, in either hip. My pain has always been in my shins and knees and lower back -- but rarely ever any hip joint pain. My hips are stiff though, and I don't have normal hip joint function. My feet and ankles also hurt a lot, which I assume is related to the postural and ambulatory effects caused by my bad hips.
I'm only 44 and have had hip problems since age 13 when I had to have both hips pinned. And I'm just about ready now to get the right hip replaced (the worse one). My surgeon didn't seem too concerned that I don't have much actual hip joint pain. The x-ray looks pretty bad, and considering how many functional problems I have, the surgeon is ready to operate. I just have to schedule the date.

I have never had much actual hip joint pain at all, in either hip. My pain has always been in my shins and knees and lower back -
:yes:This was my case and the cause of alot of misdiagnoses and distress in trying to find a solution.
Sciatica, shin pain, lower back pain...piles of xrays (apparently not involving hips) bone scans, and PT.
There were some discomfort in shin and back after hip surgery as gait changes, muscles strained ...all have resolved with time!
Glad to have finally got that BEHIND me!
Hang in there, friend!:ok:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dcytpoti
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom