TKR Second TKR 12/20/23

My surgeon recommended massaging the scar with vitamin E oil starting at 3 weeks. My PT showed me how to do it. I'm about a week ahead of you [RTKR 12/12] and have seen changes in the scar from week to week. I think it just takes time. On sleeping, I also recommend lots of pillows. Keep trying them in different places until you find a position that doesn't stress the knee. Sometimes putting a pillow behind my back or resting an arm on an extra pillow and definitely a pillow between the knees when on my side helped. You'll get there. One morning you will just wake up and realize you slept an hour longer, then two, then more. For extension, I just did a few quad "smushes" with my leg stretched out on an ottoman when I thought about it throughout the day. It is easy to get depressed about the progress. As hard as we try to move it along, so much of it just depends on our body's own timing. We are here to listen and share experiences.

As already mentioned, it very well could be that hip and back pain can be caused by a change in alignment stance due to a TKR. Sometimes people find relief in pt that helps them target muscle groups that are weak because they have been used for a long time in a pre-knee surgery alignment. I hope your your extension gets better with your exercises. More pt.... I know right?

Scar formation on the top of the knee is a tough one. There is so much more skin tension on the outside of joints than many other places in the body. Can depend on time since surgery, body composition, susceptibility to keloid or hypertrophic scarring, skin condition before surgery and, I'm sure, a number of other factors. I have heard that silicone sheets can help minimize hypertrophic scarring but have no personal experience with it. Vitamin E does help with scar minimization when applied before a scar has healed over but litttle evidence of scar minimization after full skin healing has occurred. Some people employ dermatological methods such as microneedling, lazer therapy and cosmetic surgery to remove/minimize but I could be a costly venture. I employed moisturizer and vitamin E post surgery and then got to a point where my TKR scar is a badge of honour:)

From experience, sleep can be elusive and fleeting for a while, especially during the recovery journey. My sleep habits changed significantly after my TKR, however I'm not sure if it's only my knee or if it's a "getting old" thing...lol. Mostly I've found that joint inactivity for more than a 2-3 hours is what wakes me up. Lots of people comment that many times TKR pain is aleviated by joint movement which is why we are up aimlessly walking around the kitchen sometimes at 2AM. Melatonin helps some people including my wife, get better sleep but was not super effective for me. It does get better with time... I am almost 2 years post TKR and sleep is not too bad.

Might not be alot of concrete advice to go on but with TKRs it seems that aches, pains and life changes are part of the healing journey. We humans just decide if we can roll with it and strive to make it better or accept the cards we a have been dealt. There are lots of helpful people on this site and then vast knowledge and info shared accross Bonesmart is both helpful and mentally soothing for many. It looks like you are seeing advancement and progress in your knee recovery which is great. Keep your eye on the prize, you are getting there step by step:ok:

Thank you so much for your reply. I will try this !!

I used silicone sheets after my first TKR, @Anjoh22, and they worked well for me. My scar improved in a couple of months and is now just a thin silvery line.

One of the benefits of the silicone sheets is that they work on older scars too, so you don't have to worry as much about timing. Just be sure you get "medical grade." I used ScarAway, but there are a number of different brands available on Amazon and at your pharmacy.

Thanks so much. I have used vitamin E. I will try the silicone sheets. I'm still going to PT. Doing step ups, modified squats, elliptical bike with back and forth motion, doing side leg lifts, sitting down kicks, then lying down leg lifts, but I'm still having back pain below my waist and a little to left. This is on the side of my knee replacement. Twice a week I walk a mile Not sure if this is hip problem or maybe siactic pain. Has anyone else experienced back pain while in recovery? I'm 7 weeks into recovery. Thanks a

Has anyone else experienced back pain while in recovery?
Yes! Many of us complain about low back and or buttock pain during recovery.

Most of the time, it is the result of our muscles and soft tissues adapting to the leg and body's new alignment.

It's very likely that you were favoring the bad knee prior to surgery, putting the rest of your body out of alignment. It takes time -- and some aches and pains -- for our back, hips and legs to adjust to the new alignment created by the surgery.

If you are still in physical therapy, mention it to the therapist and he/she may be able to give you some stretches that will help.

I had a lot of hip and lower back pain early on which I think was related to having my leg straightened. It had become bowed and per my surgical report I had some contracture. I was told that the tendons and ligaments have gradually adjusted to the incorrect alignment but the surgery immediately moves them back to where they should have been without time to adjust, so they are under a lot of strain at the beginning. I spent a lot of time with ice on my knee and a heating pad on my lower back during the early weeks. If you had anything like that it may explain the back pain. Either way let your PT know.

Happy Two Month Anniversary!
I hope the past two weeks has brought some relief from the pain you're dealing with.
Best wishes for your comfort and a good week. :)
@Anjoh22

@Anjoh22 I also walked with a bad knee for over 10 years and yes getting my body to adjust to the new knee was sort of painful. I remember having severe hamstring pain in my non surgical leg. I recently had my other knee replaced in January and I’m not experiencing that same type of pain for some reason. I think after enduring so many years of pain and making accommodations for it, once you have a straight leg, it takes a while for your back and other areas to get used to it. Stretching would be helpful and just keep on walking but don’t overdo it. It took a year for me to feel like my knee and body were one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi @Anjoh22 :wave:

Just checking in to see how you are doing since you haven't posted in a while.

Hope all is well. Do let us know!

I'm ten weeks post up now. I overdid it three weeks ago doing yard work and had a set back. I rested and used ice treatment. I had some inner knee pain and used ibuprofen for a few days. I still continued physical therapy and it's better. I did start back to work this past week as a pre-op nurse. I wore a compression brace and tried to sit down when I could. After work it was stiff and sore. I used ice and elevated it when I got home. This is Sunday and I rested this weekend. I was able to walk outside for about 20 minutes with no pain. i will go back to work next week but will work part time 4-5 hours a day. This forum has been so helpful. Someone mentioned using silicone tape and I started that last week. The scar edges don't seem to be coming together like I thought they would. Thanks so much

Part time is a good idea, I would have trouble standing so much of the day now much less at 2 months out.

Hi Andoh,
I understand you're back to work and I am not certain about your ability to have a more flexible schedule as you ease back in, but we often recommend a Phased return to work (click on link) Hopefully your colleagues are understanding as you you adjust to being back, but we often read about how once you're back, they think "you're back" and capable of all you were able to achieve pre op.
It sounds like icing and rest has helped and you had a nice walk yesterday. May this week be a good one! :)
@Anjoh22

Happy Three Month Anniversary, Lefty!
I hope you have a lovely Spring 2024. :flwrysmile:
@Anjoh22

Thank you!! The second knee replacement was not as bad as the first. I guess I knew what to expect. It's been four months today. I'm able to walk a mile and ride stationary bike. Still have some morning stiffness and my knee is one inch bigger.at knee and above the knee but so much better

Happy 4 month Anniversary! I also had a left TKR on December 20. I also walk a mile and ride a stationary bike. I find the bike really helps loosen up my knee, it still needs it every morning. Do you still have a tight band feeling around your knee, almost like wearing a stretchy brace?
@Anjoh22

Last edited:
Still have some morning stiffness
I do as well (I'm also four months out). It also happens when I sit for an extended period -- like on a long car ride or at the movies. Take 8-10 steps before the knee feels right.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Salvo12
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom