TKR Second Opinion Questions

I'm so very thankful for the above posts about icing and elevation. Why didn't my surgeon and the two P/T clinics I've used since my surgery explain this very important component of recovery? Today I get a second opinion about my lack of ROM progress (particularly extension) over the last 7 months. What's interesting is the fact, due in large part to this forum, that I totally stopped P/T and almost all home exercises, and concentrated solely on reducing the swelling in my knee and left leg and the associated pain in my knee. I did maintain some very light stretching. I use the Lounge Doctor cushion and two ice packs 4 times a day for 45 minutes. I began this new phase of my recovery a week ago today. As of this morning, I can actually see the beginning shape of an actual knee on my leg!!!! And I'm also walking better (with a cane) to the point where I can begin concentrating on stepping heel-to-toe with each step. I still experience pain, but not nearly as bad as a week ago. Starting Saturday I plan on stepping up my stretching a bit, including light use of a recumbent bike. I can't tell you how much my attitude has changed. I can see slight progress beginning, and it's something I haven't haven't experienced in over 7 months! My thanks to each member of the bonesmart.org staff for tolerating my bumbling ineptitude in trying to respond to your so very valuable reply posts. I'm actually looking forward to resuming an exercise regimen again. The most important factor is that I WILL CONTROL THE AMOUNT OF PAIN THAT IS INFLICTED ON THIS 85-YEAR-OLD BODY!!

Last edited:
Why didn't my surgeon and the two P/T clinics I've used since my surgery explain this very important component of recovery?
That is why Bonesmart is here! With tens of thousands of joint replacement patients' experiences, we have learned what is the best way for most members to recover from these very traumatic surgeries.
Starting Saturday I plan on stepping up my stretching a bit, including light use of a recumbent bike.
Don't mess up and do too much. You have improved so much lately from your change in recovery, and you don't want to have a setback.

@GordieO …. Posts like yours are what we truly LOVE to hear. You get a Gold Star, my friend, for becoming an advocate for yourself, trying something different, and now seeing the positive results. Your new approach to your recovery sounds perfect for you. The key for everyone is to listen to their body’s messages. Not everyone heals in the same way….our bodies are all unique. If a person pays attention, they will know what is working and what is making things worse.

I’m so happy to hear that you see a good path ahead. Keep up the great work and you’ll soon be one of our success stories!

I wish I had an explanation for why many in the medical community still believe there is just one approach to recovery from joint replacement surgery. BoneSmart has recommended a more gentle approach to recovery and therapy since its beginning because we saw the positive results people had with that approach. And interestingly enough, even some of the surgeons we work with on a regular basis, who in the past were recommending aggressive and early therapy, have now switched to gentle bends and stretches and giving your joint time to heal before anything too aggressive. While it is true that some people do okay with a more aggressive approach, most of the people we’ve come in contact with do better with a more gentle program that helps keep swelling and pain at a minimum. Thanks for letting us know this worked for you!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Exocoetidae
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom