• SCHEDULED MAINTENANCE. BoneSmart will be unavailable from 8:00am - 10:00am CDT on Tuesday, May 21, 2024 due to required systems maintenance and upgrade.

If you are unable to log in, please check back later and the maintenance should be completed.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

SCFE problems ongoing (three years post op)

Hello all, Eva’s recovery has been going well since January. Today she is in a lot of pain and for no obvious reason. Can the change in weather affect her hip replacement? She mentioned that two days ago, she felt as though she was struggling with the mechanics of moving her leg to walk but said once it warmed up after a couple of hours it was okay again. Today though as she walked upstairs she felt a ‘jolt’ and now she’s crying. Please advise.

Before I give an opinion, some questions
1. What exercises is she doing? The kind, how many reps, how many sets and how many times a day (10 reps, 3 sets, 3 times a day)?

2. How much is she doing on a daily basis - activities generally and walking
Is she taking any pain meds? If so what, what dose and what times?

Hi Josephine, we aren't really doing any physio as such as it wasn't recommended and I was led to believe that the hip would get the exercise it needed just through regular walking. So, since September particularly, she's been doing a lot - she's back at school full-time (after almost four years out) with lots of stairs/no lifts, she attends Pilates once a week (which was a compromise we settled on given that she wanted to join a gym and I thought that would be too much). She's got involved in the school drama production in the last couple of weeks and in the last week starting playing on the Wii Dance (and as I type this I now see the pattern). I've tried to get her to tone it down but she's determined to make up for lost time and prove me wrong.

We are now at the end of Day Four of lying down and resting but it has been no difference (good or bad) to the pain. We've tried paracetamol and ibuprofen and once again pain meds make no difference.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Susie-Q
    Staff member since February2, 2022
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Forum statistics

Threads