THR Sandy's Recovery Thread

Guess who went back to crazy whacky restaurant world yesterday??? ME!!!
And still just as crazy busy as ever. Worked 11-3:30, did fine, my back did get a little sore last hour I was there but I made it through. I'll only be doing a couple of shifts but felt great to be back and haven't lost a step! I'm a little sore today, (my feet), but not doing much today, change bed and grab a few groceries.
If you had told me last year at this time I'd be able to do this again I would have told you "no way." But took leap of faith and decided to give it a whirl.
I "spring" cleaned my bathroom Friday and I was remembering last year crying over how I couldn't clean glass doors all the way to bottom and my DIL came out and cleaned bathroom for me. But I'm the cleaner once again, did windows inside and out, took curtain down etc. then decided to do dining/kitchen area windows and curtains, I was on a roll.
Hang in there if you are just beginning this marathon, you will get to the finish line.
Happy April & Sunday!

Yes, day off, I'm only doing 2-3 shifts per week. Just came back from lovely afternoon at my son's house. Nice day here, he grilled, we sat outside, his in laws came as well and they are such nice people.
Hope everyone enjoyed the day.

I know this is my thread but can't find a way to post for danelady.
Has anyone heard from her?
Danelady are you OK????

:mcoffee: Good morning...
Here is danelady's thread.

As you know I went back to work. I've been working about 2-3 weeks now. Thursday night was super busy and I did a lot of running around. My sciatic nerve going from my hip to buttocks is so sore. I've been resting and icing along with Tylenol and it's a little better but hurts when I walk. I've been walking perfect for awhile and now almost feel I should use the cane here and there.
If it doesn't feel better tomorrow I think I'll go get it checked out.
After a year of not working and then running around I might have pulled something. It didn't bother me while I was working, hurt once I drove home and then got out of the car.
Advice? Rest and ice I've been doing Saturday and Sunday. Still sore today.
Thanks

Sounds like an ODIC event but agree check with your docs if no improvement. I've been trying to increase my mobility and ended up with pain in gluteals on the non-operated side - to the point where I wondered if I had pulled a muscle! After a few days rest and icing it has calmed down again.

Advice? Rest and ice I've been doing Saturday and Sunday. Still sore today.
That's the advice I would give. I just over did it at 5 years so I went to rest and ice and it worked. I've come to the conclusion that as great as this surgery is our bodies never really fully recover from the trauma. Like every other injury I've had there's always a little damage done that never goes away.

Have you tried to relieve the piriformis muscle? Sometimes this is all that I needed to get rid of that irritating pain.
Mine usually stemmed from overdoing it.
You can also use a foam roller or a soft massage ball to massage the full gluteal area to help relieve the piriformis.

Here's a great article here and I hope this helps!!

So after my successful return to work I have been sidelined...darn!
About 3 weeks ago went to my primary cause back pain was severe. She ordered X-Ray to be sure hip was ok which it was. Gave me a round of steroids for 6 days taper.
After first couple of days taking the steroids the pain went away, she said it was probably a lot of inflammation from pounding the floor while working. It is very busy and you are on your feet 5-6 hours at very quick pace and add on carrying dishes back and forth to kitchen.
Well I just wasn't convinced this was way to go. I was 100 percent fine, now the pain was severe, made no sense. There's a doctor and his wife that come in to restaurant and I was telling him about my situation and he was nice enough to get me seen at Brigham in Boston.
My appt was yesterday. I brought several copies of my pelvic and hip X-Rays with me.
He took so much time with me, brought up my X-Rays on computer and went over every square inch of the hip implant as well as pelvic area. Said the implant looked fine, if I ever needed a revision he said there would be a few tweaks he would make but good for now. Said they should have placed a cup in hip joint and then place "ball" part but said for now I should be ok but it could wear down over time. Even commented on the angle of the implant.
Said the pain in my back is because my operated side is 3/8 inch shorter! What! I was told it had worked itself out and I didn't really notice a difference. Also I have some deterioration in my spine and showed me on X-Ray where it was normal and where it was not. He said between the leg difference and the deficiency in my back it was a perfect storm going back to very physical job and not having orthotic in my shoe.
He ordered X-Rays of my back and I had those yesterday and today they called to schedule MRI. After MRI I will visit spine surgeon he referred me to.
So I've been forced back into "retirement" for now. I went back to work not only for extra cash but I enjoy the social aspect of the job and gets me out of the house a couple of days. Little did I know it would set me back like this.
So let's see what's next.

Hi @myglasshalffull . I'm sad to hear about this latest hitch in your ability to get back to work.

As you know, i now deal with crippling degenerative spinal issues that only became symptomatic after hip replacement.

Is the spine doctor you've been referred to an an ortho physiatrist MD, or an ortho surgeon? Physiatrists will do all they can to use conservative protocols that allow you to stop short of surgery. A spine surgeon just focuses on surgical options.

If you do decide on spinal surgery, a neurosurgeon is an option.

But I really do hope your MRI brings back promising news. Epidurals, braces, therapeutic massage, accupuncture...there are often many conservative options that can get you back on your feet.

Keep us posted.:console2:

The doctor I met with yesterday at Brigham is ortho specializing in hip replacements and revisions and teaches at Harvard Medical School.
The doctor he is referring me to once I have MRI is a surgeon, but the OS I met with yesterday told me there are very many conservative treatments and he never recommends rushing into surgery.
So I will wait and see what the MRI reveals (if anything) and meet with spine surgeon after that.
I am traveling next week to Texas for my granddaughters high school graduation so my MRI isn't until 6/1.
I'm just hopeful I'm not in too much discomfort during the visit.
After having hip replaced 1700 miles from home I'm not in any rush for surgery here or anywhere else for that matter! I will take my time and educate myself first and foremost. Something I couldn't do for my hip. I've learned more here than anywhere and I already had feeling that ortho I had been seeing here just "managed" my case (after all, he didn't perform the surgery), bonesmart has been my mentor.

After having hip replaced 1700 miles from home I'm not in any rush for surgery here or anywhere else for that matter! I will take my time and educate myself first and foremost.
That is such a wise idea. When you don't have to rush into surgery, getting input for a well-informed decision is the best favor you can do for yourself. Here's hoping for good answers and travel blessings for that graduation. We'll be looking forward to your update.
@myglasshalffull

@myglasshalffull happy you have time to go with a wait and see approach for now. IF, after its all said and done, you eventually do decide that you will have spine surgery just from my experience would recommend neurosurgeon.

I realize there are some great ortho surgeons that operate on the spine as well. My brother in law had major spine surgery about a year or so with an ortho that teaches at Harvard Medical or one of those other high rent places in New England area. He is quite pleased with the outcome. All comes down to personal preference and the skill of your surgeon.

And let me say Howdy and Welcome to the Great State of Texas! :wave: Hope you enjoy your stay when you're here.

Elf,
Yes, not jumping into anything just have the tests and see what it reveals.
We love Texas, my son lives in Aledo. My brother and his wife are in San Antonio, we will meet up with them for lunch while we are there, we are meeting in the middle between my son's house and San Antonio.
And the surgeon's card I've been referred to reads "Orthopedic Surgeon Director of Minimally Invasive Spine Surgery"
He's also at Brigham & Women's in Boston.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
LadyZ
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom