TKR Samantha’s Right TKR

Day one of week five. Having PT push the knee till it hurts only makes the next day go backwards. It is slow dull pain that is annoying but i know it is a slow process. I still have swelling in my knee and ankle . I have been to work about four hours a couple of days . I defiantly take a nap when I get home . I am at 100 degrees on my own but pt wants it more so am taking it slow.

There is no need for your PT to push your knee, at all. As you can see doesn’t help and creates pain that lasts through the next day. How is that encouraging your body to heal? It’s not. You don’t have to let them do this.

Saying no to therapy - am I allowed to?

I am at 100 degrees on my own but pt wants it more
100 at 5 weeks is awesome! They can want more all they like, but your body is healing (if they let it) on it’s own timeframe. Stand firm on how you want your recovery and rehab to go. You really do have a choice.

Having PT push the knee till it hurts only makes the next day go backwards.
That should tell you something. My therapist NEVER pushed me into pain and I have good ROM on both my knees. Pain is not needed for recovery:
Myth busting: No pain, no gain

I agree with Jockette; tell your therapist "no" -- and if he/she won't listen, find a different therapist who will.

Having PT push the knee till it hurts only makes the next day go backwards.
:bignono: PT person! Don't hurt sweet, Samantha.
I believe through getting back to work, maintaining a home and the activities of daily living, you may be getting enough therapy, of the natural type, without the need to engage in those torture sessions :wink: that you're paying for the next day. Do yourself a favor, don't allow PT to hurt you anymore. Just Say No.

Happy One Month Anniversary! I hope you have a nice Easter, if you celebrate. :)

I am 7 months Post-op and still have some tightness and pain at times while sleeping. I am told it can take up to a year to heal. It is feeling better daily.
I can now bend my tkr as much as my good knee. I used what I think is called the chair slide several time a day. This allowed me to control the pain when exercise bending. I feel this particular exercise is what helped me the most. It is a tough recovery for sure. Hang in there.

Week 6 starts today. My pt is still slow -at 106 degree - they want more - still have lots of swelling in my leg and ankle . had a great Easter with family and grand kids . I am walking with out aids mostly. I feel pressure to get more bend of my knee but I don’t like pain so ? I am driving and still having a hard time sleeping but I think all this is just normal .
I tell my self it is a journey not a sprint. Hoping this will make the summer better for movement and doing more things .

I am 7 months Post-op and still have some tightness and pain at times while sleeping. I am told it can take up to a year to heal. It is feeling better daily.
I can now bend my tkr as much as my good knee. I used what I think is called the chair slide several time a day. This allowed me to control the pain when exercise bending. I feel this particular exercise is what helped me the most. It is a tough recovery for sure. Hang in there.
Thanks for the info - it is nice to see the progress comes with patience.

My pt is still slow -at 106 degree - they want more - still have lots of swelling in my leg and ankle
Lots of swelling in your ankle is what is restricting more bend, and it amazes me the PT doesn’t understand that. Rather than pushing for more, which just creates more swelling, they should be using modalities to help reduce your swelling. When
you’re home, rest and elevation should be part of your rehab, to help that swelling go down. Maybe you should consider looking for another PT office with a more updated rehab knowledge.

Your PT doesn't understand that any increase in bend he achieves by pushing and stretching you is gone by nighttime because of the increase in knee swelling he is directly causing.

Many American PTs are much more aggressive than in other countries, where it's understood that healing needs to happen and that therapy shouldn't cause pain.

The "window of opportunity" is a myth. Here's why.

Some of our members have shared charts of their progress regaining flexion. As you can see, for each, it returned slowly but surely.

Campervan’s ROM history
92 - 8 weeks post op
105 - 10 weeks
107 - 5 months
110 - 6 months
112 - 7 months
116 - 9 months
119 - 11 months
118 - 1 yr
120 - 1yr 2 months

Bertschb’s ROM history
2 months - 80 degrees
3 months - 85 degrees
4 months - 90 degrees
5 months - 90 degrees
6 months - 110 degrees
7 months - 120 degrees
8 months - 125 degrees
9 months - 130 degrees
10 months - 135 degrees
11 months - 140 degrees
12 months - 140 degrees

Welcome to week 6 - swelling is going down.i am not pushing my bending. I have two more pt appointments and then I see the dr on the 15th. My knee is still stiff with the tightness around my knee. Some days my ankle has 3 finger pitting edema from all the swelling.
imwent to a funeral Friday for a friend and sat for 45 min during the service. That was a long time .
I ‘started to go back to the office this past week. I went 4-5 hours Tuesday to Friday . Came home and took a 2 hr nap with my leg elevated.
i have been walking a couple of laps around the drive way . I love spring is here. sleep is still every couple of hours sleeping.

is dull achy pain normal at week 7? trying to ignore it but not very successful ? Would you take OxyContin or Tylenol and wait it out?

Yes, dull achey pain is incredibly normal at week 7, week 8; for many of us it persists months.
Is yours mostly the front of the thigh? That's generally the body's pain response to the torniquet used during surgery to reduce bleeding.

Everyone feels pain differently and also responds to it differently (anxiety, resignation, ignoring it, etc).
Personally, for a dull ache I would use 1000 mg acetaminophen scheduled every 8 hours and ice like mad and also for me distraction is a potent analgesic.
But if you experience it as interfering with your ability to rest, relax, or it's threatening your emotional state, you can use something stronger - just be aware this is a sensation you'll likely be living with for a while. Perhaps the acetaminophen early in the day and the oxy in the evening? (Remember oxycontin has acetaminophen in it so don't take them within six hours of each other!)

Best Wishes for your appointment in five days. You're heading back to work pretty early. Hopefully you're able to take some breaks and move around a bit, then mainly rest upon your return home. I hope your sleep improves soon. Please let us know how your appointment with the OS goes on the 15th.

Some tips for sleep - Pillows help me get comfortable in bed, making it easier to drift off.
Make up the bed with your most comfortable bedding / blankets along with a few extra bed pillows of different degrees of firmness. Try to block out the light if it's daylight. Minimize noise unless you feel listening to calming relaxation music, a fan, or white noise may help lull you to sleep. Make sure the room temperature is not too hot or too cold. Try to disconnect from the devices at least an hour before the targeted nap or bed time, so it's easier to wind down. Limit caffeine throughout the day and consider natural sleep aids such as Valerian, Chamomile or, Magnesium, my personal favorite, which can assist in muscle relaxation and nerves and promote healthy sleep (falling asleep and staying asleep)

An article on Magnesium from our Library -
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/magnesium-is-a-star.20301/

Most large grocers carry a variety of teas such as Celestial Seasonings - Sleepytime Herb Tea,
Yogi Teas, Bedtime, Bigelow Cozy Chamomile, all of which may help you relax...at least worth a try.i
@Samantha

Welcome to wednesday. My apt with dr is moved to April 29th. I have pt tomorrow. Great part of work is owning the company - I have a furton in my office to lay down on and a polar ice to ice my knee. We teach CPR classes- my staff has been great with running things this past month.
my Oxycotin is only 5 mg but no Tylenol with it . I cut them in half so when I do take it. i have been doing good taking Tylenol as
I am allergic to NSAIDS. I have not used caffeine in 34 yrs -and am a water drinker .
I am glad for this site for all the support and information. I am going to get some magnesium.
I love knowing there are others on this same journey and for the shared trip.

Yes, dull achey pain is incredibly normal at week 7, week 8; for many of us it persists months.
Is yours mostly the front of the thigh? That's generally the body's pain response to the torniquet used during surgery to reduce bleeding.

Everyone feels pain differently and also responds to it differently (anxiety, resignation, ignoring it, etc).
Personally, for a dull ache I would use 1000 mg acetaminophen scheduled every 8 hours and ice like mad and also for me distraction is a potent analgesic.
But if you experience it as interfering with your ability to rest, relax, or it's threatening your emotional state, you can use something stronger - just be aware this is a sensation you'll likely be living with for a while. Perhaps the acetaminophen early in the day and the oxy in the evening? (Remember oxycontin has acetaminophen in it so don't take them within six hours of each other!)
Thank you for this info- It help to be empowered with info to make the journey. I did not have lots of pain prior to surgery - lots of immonbility -i had bone on bone artritisis why I went ahead to do tkr.

You mentioned skin sensitivity on another person's old thread.

Yes, as sensory nerves heal and grow, they connect with each other but with glitches in communication. And sometimes the incision line itself is hypersensitive.

Many of us have coped by wearing either very soft clothing (flannel, fleece) or very silky smooth clothing (rayon or bamboo).

Went to our grand kids for the weekend in the RV`- our grandson turned 2. The stairs at their house and getting in and out of th RV - I counted as exercise . I napped when needed and iced. Thankfully I didn’t have more swelling so I love that following the info from here is so helpful. I start week 8 on Wednesday- I added magnesium last weekend to see if it will help with sleep . I am getting 2 to 3 hours . I still have issues from 12 to 4 am.

I got a month's supply of zopiclone from my GP after my PKR. She appreciated that sleep is important and often really hard to come by after knee surgery.
I used it sparingly and alternated it with some of the over the counter and herbal remedies that others here have probably already suggested.
I am not a great sleeper anyway but lying awake in discomfort/ pain is miserable and a recipe for morbid thoughts.
I also used iced cool water to sooth my knee at night. I would have an ice session before bed. Then I would refresh the iced water in the sleeve of my Aircast Cryocuff and open it out to put on a pillow and rest my knee on to sleep. In the early weeks( probably up to 3-4 months) if I woke to go to the toilet I would refresh the iced cold water.

@EalingGran hi would you recommend the aircast cryo? Was thinking of getting one for after my hip surgery sorry if this is off topic

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Kerious1
Recent bookmarks