Standard Shoulder Replacement Right TSR April 24, 2024

KateLynn

Country
United States United States
So I had my total shoulder replacement on Tuesday and have gained 10 pounds. How can that be? I’m not eating much.

gained 10 pounds.
That's just water retention from the IV fluids you were given. As your body releases the excess fluid, -- you may notice that you have to make frequent trips to the bathroom over the next week! -- those new pounds will disappear.

Is it normal to feel a popping sensation when I am leaning forward? 5 days post op. The sling I was given, does not wrap around my waist to hold my arm in so when I bend at all or move forward, my arm can float away from my body. That’s when I’m feeling this popping type sensation maybe clicking a better word not sure.

I think you should give your surgeon’s office a call about this. Normally people are given a supportive sling to wear for several weeks to keep arm movements minimized. It sounds like you just have a normal cloth sling and that may not be what you need.

I do have a regular cloth sling. I’m going to give them a call in the morning.

Welcome to the healing side! Lots of comfort to you as you begin the journey. I hope you have an easy, uneventful recovery. Best wishes, KateLynn!

Please notice that we started a recovery thread for you. Having your recovery information contained in one place will make it easier for you to reflect back on. Please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here.
@KateLynn

Good….I think this is a good idea. Ask about getting an immobilizer brace, as this is what is commonly used after a shoulder replacement. If your surgeon declines to order this for you, you can contact your insurance company and see if they have procedures for reimbursement if you purchased one on your own. Or your GP may be able to order it for you. And, should your surgeon not support getting this for you, ask questions about why he doesn’t feel it’s needed, especially since you are getting that popping sensation because your arm is moving when you lean forward.

Let us know how it goes.

Per the weight gain ... One reason I can't take opioids is because they cause my kidneys stop releasing anything into the bladder; experience from my 2015 hip resurfacing. That doctor told me that that was unusual, but that he saw it from time to time. Perhaps your pain medicine is slowing down your kidneys? I can only take OTC stuff.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Flag100
Recent bookmarks