TKR Right Total Knee Replacement January 31, 2024

calliecatsmom

Country
United States United States
Hi all,
I am finally going to have my right knee replaced. It is long overdue.....

I have most of the items I need for post surgery, still trying to decide on which ice machine to get.

I am anxious, nervous, apprehensive but at the same time happy I'm finally doing it. I knew it was time when the knees are now hurting even when I stand or trying to get comfortable in bed to sleep at night. I have had this surgery scheduled since the end of July, beginning of August, hard to believe it is just 2 and a half weeks away. I am fortunate that I don't have to go back to work after the surgery, I stock in a grocery store and I really can't picture doing that after this. I have been with the company for 31 years and over 20 years of it has been stocking grocery.

The surgery is being done outpatient and as of now, I am his first surgery of the day. Had my preop with one of my doctor's PAs and a preop with my internist. I have my first PT appointment scheduled for February 1. Luckily for me, my husband works from home so he will be able to take me to PT and the first postop appointment.

My husband and kids can't believe that I will be up and walking shortly after surgery.

Just so much to do, making sure I have everything I need, I'm sure I'm forgetting something:)

I am glad I found this website and forum. Good luck to everyone still waiting on their January knee replacements!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello and welcome to BoneSmart!

Both my knees were done outpatient and even on the late morning one I was home (an hour away!) well before supper time.

In my experience, and that of most members, is that the key to getting through a long healing process is to mentally prepare for your new knee to take priority. Rest, ice, elevate, and a little walking is going to be your daily routine for a while, slowly adding in activity as tolerated, and it doesn't mean you're lazy!!!!

Here's some information to help you prepare. Please do post any specific questions or concerns!

KNEE PRE-OP GUIDELINES

Regardless of where you are in the process, the website and app My Knee Guide can help you stay organized and informed. The free service keeps all the information pertaining to your surgery and recovery in one place on your smartphone. It is intended to be a personal support tool for the entire process.

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced knee, take a look at some stories of amazing knee recoveries

I'm also going to post some knee recovery guidelines in case you want to feel more prepared.

Each person is different as is their recovery. Most find that the Bonesmart approach works best for them, but others find that a more aggressive therapy helps.

KNEE RECOVERY GUIDELINES

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary.

If you want to use something to assist with healing and scar management, BoneSmart recommends hypochlorous solution. Members in the US can purchase ACTIVE Antimicrobial Hydrogel through BoneSmart at a discount. Similar products should be available in the UK and other countries.

2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Hi Calliecatsmum, you and I are having surgery on the same date. Like you, I have been getting everything ready and trying not to overthink it. I’ll be interested in seeing how you get on from day to day.

Well tomorrow is the big day!!! I have to be at the surgical center at 6am, surgery should start around 7/7:30ish. Should be home by early afternoon. Today was my last day at work, I did get kind of emotional at times.
Oh well , still lots to do to get ready for tomorrow, now to get motivated and moving:)

Best of luck tomorrow! We'll be waiting to see you post in the knee recovery area!!!!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
CareBear63
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom