Reassurance please!

Hello @AJinNH - so pleased to hear from you!! I've been watching the post op side anxiously, but I'm away in the UK and, what with the time difference, didn't know when to expect you to surface! Hopefully @anny is also comforted by seeing you "on the other side and, what's more, speaking (or as vocal as you can be in writing). I'll be watching your posts keenly. I won't expect miracles, as I know we've been told there are rough patches in recovery, but it's so good to know that you're past the dreaded op. Take care of yourself and don't try to run until you can walk - or hip hop!! All the best.

Hey @Cassidy how’re things in the UK? How is your hip holding up, do you have a surgery date yet?

I wanted to let you know that I’m so glad and relieved to have this behind me. Although the first few days are the roughest, this side of the journey has been so much easier than I expected.

Today is Day 5 post surgery, and I’m walking pretty normally, no limp, dressing and showering on my own (only need help with Ted’s and socks). This morning I made the bed, which just involved pulling up and straightening out the bedding, no sheet changing yet. I put away some of my laundry, again nothing strenuous, just standing at my dresser with my walker opening drawers and putting away my things. I went downstairs on 1 crutch yesterday for the first time and it was pretty easy. I’m taking very low dose pain meds and have very little pain. The first day home was rough but then improved dramatically after that.

I think the things that have contributed to such a good recovery so far are: finding a very good surgeon who does a lot of hip replacements with good results, being in good general health to begin with and not waiting too long to have the THR.

Good luck with your own journey and let me know if I can be helpful in any way.

Hello @AJinNH. Thanks for thinking of me. I've been watching your posts carefully and am looking out for @anny too. I'm so pleased to hear that you're doing well, both for your sake and for mine! I haven't got a date for surgery yet, as I thought I'd been added to the list in January, but it turns out that I was only put on it a couple of weeks ago and the wait for the op is currently 4 - 5 months, unless I get a cancellation. However, I managed to get through to the person in charge of admissions, and she sounded very nice and said I could ring now and again and see how I'm getting on list-wise, let her know if I book any time away so that they don't waste time ringing me, but that if I was available I might get a call. I've got a few things booked up to the end of May, so I'm trying to look forward to those and not worry about the wait. I went up to London today (a quick train ride from mine) and took my stick (my choir were singing up at London Bridge station for a youth music charity). I was offered a seat on the way up (which I'm really not used to, and made me feel rather old and infirm) and managed to stand for 30 minutes whilst singing, but rang my husband for a lift from the station on the way home, as by then I was getting rather stiff and sore. In the past I'd have walked, despite the discomfort, but reading your advice on having the op before it was too late made me think I ought to preserve what I've got as carefully as I can!

I suspect you'll be dancing before I get my hip sorted; I will continue to watch your progress - please remember that you and @anny are leading the way for me - so no pressure there! Look after yourself. Is it cold where you are (wherever that may be?). We keep thinking we're coming out of winter and then it gets colder again, but the daffodils are out in the garden and the clocks go forward tonight (one hour less in bed), but that heralds the start of spring here. At least if my op isn't until July or so I can sit in the garden (when it's not raining!).

Aww, @Cassidy...We won't forget about you over here. July will be upon us
before you know it. You'll have your turn and move forward without any pain!
Hope you're enjoying the weekend :flwrysmile:

@Cassidy you sing! How wonderful, that’s not a talent I possess, but always wished I did. My son, who is musically inclined, used to put his hand over my mouth when he was a toddler and say ‘stop singing mommy’, that’s how bad I am.

I’m in New Hampshire and yes it’s cold here. New Hampshire is in the NE US, just North of Boston. We’ve had 3 nor’easters in the past few weeks getting almost 4 feet of snow in the process. That was after a teaser warm up in February. We turned the clocks ahead earlier on the 12th, usually my least favorite time of year because I don’t usually adjust easily, but this year my op has made that a nonissue because of my irregular sleep schedule pre and post surgery.

I made my decision to have the THR on November 17th of last year and could have had the surgery in late January, but I chose March 19th to give me the time I needed to get physically and mentally prepared. I also used the time to get a second opinion as well as find and talk to people who had a THR by the OS I had chosen. I made the most of that time and I’m sure you will too. I’m glad I did it that way because, like you, I struggled with whether my symptoms were severe enough and that it was too soon to have major surgery. By March 19th I was as convinced as possible (you may still have a lingering doubt, that’s normal).

Take care of yourself in the months ahead and do yourself a favor and get in the best physical shape as you can.

I may be ahead of you, but I’ll still be around for you, no worries!

My problem was the opposite to yours @AJinNH! Whenever we went anywhere, my younger daughter always said "don't sing", not because I can't (although only choir level, not solo), but because every time somebody said something it seemed to lead me into a song. It's amazing how many sentences pop up that are already in songs. So if anybody said anything like "It's a lovely day today", I'd find myself singing. My mother always says she can find me in a shop because I'm the one humming. Although when my mother used to hum, it usually meant trouble!

I shouldn't really complain about the couple of inches of snow we've had then, should I. Yours is real snow. But you've probably heard how the UK can't cope with any amount of bad weather, as we're not really used to it. I've only been briefly to Miami (joining a cruise ship years ago), and a couple of years ago to Florida - yes, Disneyland with the grown up "children" - so my knowledge of the US is very lacking really. Actually, as I read Boston in your reply I was already humming a dance tune I know called "Goodbye Girls We're going to Boston" - there's no hope for me really!

Anyway, I'll keep following your news (bit voyeurish, I know). I sat on the train next to a young man who proceeded to tell me about his friend who is a martial arts teacher and who had his hip replaced a couple of years ago and is back to teaching (although he said he's probably not quite as good as he once was, as he now needs his other doing!). I told him I wouldn't be allowed to bungee jump, which of course is something I've always wanted to do (or not, as they say). That'll be a good excuse for not doing something that would terrify me anyway! Something good may come of this yet. :climb:

Considering how big an incision is involved, is it ages before it stops being sore/sensitive? I've had a paper cut on my finger that's barely visible, but has still throbbed for a few days now, and I started wondering how long it takes for the operation site to stop feeling painful. Something new to worry about!
:scary:

Hey @Cassidy i have a paper cut too and it hurts more than my surgical site, really. The only time it hurts is if I accidentally bump it or it gets tugged. I don’t know how long it will be before it stops being sensitive enough to sleep on that side, everyone seems to be different and I’m not even going to try for at least a couple of months. I thought it would hurt when I sat, especially in the bathroom, but it doesn’t at all.

It’s really not worth the energy to worry about, I think you’ll find it’s a nonissue. I’m really surprised that despite the length of the incision that it’s not bothering me. I get why you think it would hurt. I’m also surprised in general at how low my pain level is. I realize this is very individual, but I think you’re going to be okay.

Hi @Cassidy
I echo what AJinNH said above. My incision pain was very tolerable also. If you take your meds on schedule
and ice frequently you'll be good. Seriously, don't worry about it.

Hi @Cassidy....sorry, not posting too much at the moment, my meds seem to befuddle my brains somewhat! Just wanted to say that for me, the worst part was the runup to the op.....once I got there I was feeling quite resigned (and there's always someone talking to you or sticking another needle in), then I woke up really hazy, but the pain was really well managed and I have remarkably little pain now.....and I'm amazed at how easy (but slow) the stairs are with the crutches. My main 'complaint' at the moment is sleeping on my back (so desperate to curl up on my side, but after 6 wks I may have grown to love it :)) and the dopeyness which could be because I am taking meds I've never had before). Touch wood it will continue this well (and I STILL feel a bit of a fraud, for having it so easy now....LOL never satisfied :heehee:) Hope you get yours soon.....I won't say 'don't worry' cos I know that's impossible, but hope you can keep airing your concerns here so that we can answer them.

PS I have NO incision pain, I don't even know how big it is. I have a big plastic dressing which stays there for 2 weeks when the nurse will clip off the sticky out ends of the absorbable stitches. Feels a bit bulky but not a problem, and I can shower but not immerse it. Think my surgeon must have magic hands!

Thank you so much @Layla, @anny and @AJinNH (in no particular order!) for your reassuring replies. I think my wound is going to be glued, and I've already asked the surgeon to try and keep it neat - I said I may be an old woman (in his eyes, at least, as he's only 12 1/2), but I still go swimming and wear my swimming costume with pride, broken veins and all! Don't think he was that impressed with that, but you've got to keep joking or you're finished! Actually, he seems very nice and human and copes quite well with this strange lady's sense of humour. He must know I'm worrying over everything because, as we parted last time, he put his hand on my shoulder (he's about 6' 6", so he must have long arms to my 5' 1") and said "you worry about getting fit for your op, doing what you're told after (he mentioned exercises, but I'll have to see about that!), and I'll worry about the op itself!. Sort of reassuring. I still can't help but think a bit about the chance of infection, given my history and reading about other BS contributors with infections, but I'm hoping he's as competent as he is confident.

I can't find the answer to one other peculiar question, and I suspect you three probably won't know either, but if anybody else is listening in ....

:what:

A couple of years ago, before my hip started playing up quite as badly, I bought one of those vibrating platform type exercise machines. I actually found it quite helpful (if exercise can ever be fun!), but for the last six months or so I've laid off because it really aggravates it now. However, I wondered if it would be useable after the op. I'm suspecting not, because it would vibrate the implant around and maybe dislodge it (?), although I'm having uncemented, so assume it should be well anchored after a year or so, and I heard that the vibrating helps in the building of bone. If I left it for a year (if that's long enough), would it be suitable for use, do you think, or should I just pass it on to my daughter? I'd keep it if I could use it again, as for me it's as good as going to the gym (which I don't do anyway - I swim a couple of times a week), as I can do it at home and don't have to drive somewhere, park, get hot and sweaty and then drive home. Anybody out there with any advice, please?! I googled it, but came to no conclusion.

I'm so pleased to hear that you two are getting on so well - long may it last!

And I hope you all have a good Easter.

:martini:

:wave:Incision pain was next to nothing for me...actually alot of numbness so I worried for that for a time...it also dissipated.
Don't know how to advise on vibrating exercise machine...guessing experts would say okay after a year, but I probably wouldn't because I've become one to err on the side of caution. Normal movement is all that hip will need to hopefully be good to go.
My surgery is at 11 months now, and I think there is little I couldn't do...but I rather like having no hip pain, walking normally, AND I can do this:chuckmarch:

Those vibrating platforms can be tricky, it also depends on the pattern of vibrations and their speed. I looked into them for osteoporosis but there isn't really solid research for its value therapeutically. Talk to your surgeon about it,and also remember that they can throw your balance, not what you want with a new hip, so as Mojo says, give your hip a good long recovery period first and also check with a medical professional. It may be that some exercises are ok but not others

Thanks @Mojo333 and @anny - I think you're both rather confirming what I suspected. To be honest, I didn't buy the gadget just to help the hip, but to encourage me to exercise more generally, as I've never been a gym person - I find it too hot and boring - and I wasn't able to walk far, so thought it might get me moving - which it did, actually. It's probably just a bit more interesting than standing on the spot and using bands (which come with it, and which I can feel working). Maybe I need to get my husband to build a platform with bands and I'll pass the vibrations on to my daughter! And @Mojo333, if I get back to doing what you can, then maybe I can start walking and cycling again, which would negate the use of a machine (not sure I can manage the red Mohican though!).

Hi Cassidy,
To be safe, I'd ask your OS about the vibrating machine. I'm not even sure I know what one looks like
but just as you mentioned, I'd suspect it wouldn't be advised. If you're worried about infection I would try to eat right, exercise as your body allows, get enough sleep, take a good pro-biotic etc Anything you can do to ramp up and have a healthy strong immune system could be beneficial. Then.....try not to worry because stress weakens our immune system. When the time comes you'll be so prepared, you'll do great!
@Cassidy

Hi @Cassidy i worried about infection too. My prep for preop was to wash from the neck down with Hibiclens 3 days before surgery, including the morning of surgery. I did it for 6 because it made me feel better and somewhat in control, and I knew it couldn’t hurt.

My dad had a knee replacement that resulted in a severe infection, my sister had a knee replacement that went well. Of course I focused on my dads, even though the hospital he had his done at was the last place I would recommend, but that’s another story (my dad was incredibly stubborn). My sister’s surgery was at the same hospital that I had my hip done, different doctor.

My point is that infection is a real concern, but if you’ve selected a good surgeon and hospital, and you do everything you can to avoid infection (and whatever extra makes you feel better) you will in all likelihood be fine. Can you look up infection rates for the doctor and facility? I did that and it made me feel so much better. Do whatever you need to help you feel in control, and remember that it’s in their best interest to make sure you don’t develop an infection as well. Have a chat with your primary care doctor if you think that will help.

Don't forget the simpler rules of hygiene as well as the more heroic stuff....just regular handwashing with soap and warm water, and getting visitors to use the hand sanitiser goes a long way, I've been told by a doctor. Remember that infection is the exception not the rule

Hi @Cassidy I have been in the shadows for a while since my right THR 31st Jan due to non hip related problems but starting to lurk around again a bit now as my left is due on 11th May so need to come back to the pre op side for a while . Like you and I suspect virtually everyone I was in denial and tried coping with everything from acupuncture to zinc supplements but the only thing that worked was getting rid of that bit of old bone that had done its job for 62 years and was now well worn out . Breifly, I was amazed by the surgery ,it was my first , I had very little post op pain so far my recovery has been really smooth I was driving after a week and back at work after 2 and a bit, yes a felt tired and a bit achy at times but I have had colds make me feel worse. I know it doesn't always go as easily and I do feel for those who struggle . With a good surgeon a bit of pre op preparation from you there should be no reason you don't bounce back easily. A few tips for pre op prep I think helped me : keep hydrated, no alcohol for at least 4 weeks before, take a probiotic eg yakult, eat sensibly reduce sugar and junk, keep as active as you can and above all a positive attitude. All being well you should sail through it. I am just hoping that my next goes as well and am being positive about that.
Please DON'T use those vibrating plate things post op I read somewhere about a chap who had weird problems and loosened his implant it was tracked back to using one of those things on a regular basis ! Wishing you a peaceful Easter weekend.

Hey all - @Layla, @anny, @AJinNH and @mcopt! I've decided to ditch the vibrating plate (I nearly said vibrator, but that sounded a bit dodgy!) and keep up the swimming and maybe use some general exercises until the op, just to strengthen the muscles a bit without hurting too much. I didn't have hip replacement in mind when I bought it - although my hip was already showing signs of defeat, it's only been in the last year or so that things have got worse.

Regarding infection, I'm obviously much more wary of it, as the reason I'm in this fine mess (sounds Laurel and Hardy-ish!) is because of infection, and although they're pretty sure it's not lurking in the joint any more, I had such a horrible time of it before I think I get a bit PTSD about it. One bout of antibiotics via a Hickman line is enough for a body!

I'm trying to eat healthily and get myself prepared (not sure about the no alcohol for 4 weeks before, @mcopt!), and I am trying to be positive (no mean feat for a natural born worrier). Trouble is, along with the success stories on bonesmart there are also tales of ops gone wrong and resulting infections, etc., and my brain is better at focussing on those than on the success stories. You all seem to be amongst those, though, so I'll read more of yours and less of the others!

and, @mcopt, are you hoping to get back to the skiing? I see you're my age and from the UK. I've gotten used to thinking I'm always speaking to people in the US or other far-flung countries!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
007Knee
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom