Reassurance please!

Cassidy

senior
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
I've come to this website fairly recently, as I've been working up to needing a hip replacement for 12 years, since I was misdiagnosed as having sciatica when, in fact, I had osteomyelitis in my hip. I've been soldiering on - in fact it wasn't too bad for the first few years, but has grown increasingly restrictive - and have now decided (with the persuasion of my husband, who has been fairly patient over the last few years as my ability to go on walks, etc., has decreased) that the time has come to bite the bullet, so to speak. I was told by my original consultant that I shouldn't go for the replacement until really necessary, and I must admit that if I don't try to walk more than a few hundred years, or stand for longer than 20 minutes or so, I could probably go on like it for another few years.

I'm 62 now and worry that I'm too young, given the potential lifespan of the new hip. I also feel ridiculously sentimental about losing part of my body (the bone itself is perfectly good, there just isn't any cartilage left, as the infection ate it all!), and I also feel angry about the cause of my predicament (I had a tooth abscess just as the government advised against giving antibiotics, the original consultant didn't listen to my symptoms properly and nobody bothered to look at the ESR results on the blood test, then when I was admitted to hospital for intravenous antibiotics, I acquired hospital transmitted MRSA. A catalogue of errors really!).

I also worry a lot about the hip dislocating (not helped by the fact that I know my own, cartilage-less, hip won't do that).

Please reassure me that I'm doing the right thing in going ahead with the replacement. I'm having an MRI scan to check that there is no infection lurking in the bone and, if not, I'm "on the list".

I'm just hoping that, having read all your posts - mostly upbeat and optimistic - the outcome will be as good as I'm promised by all around me!

Thank you for reading this long diatribe.

Please be reassured! After your surgery, you will ask yourself why you waited so long! Many of us are younger than you. I was told that the largest group having hip replacements now are in their 40s and 50s. The current implants are supposed to last much longer than the old ones and even some of the older ones lasted for eons! I'd rather feel good and be mobile now anyway. Dislocations are a risk but less of a risk with the newer implants than they used to be. Some surgeons don't even impose the restrictions that are intended to reduce the risk of dislocation. Welcome to the forum and feel free to ask questions - we'll try to answer them and do a little hand holding along the way if needed.

Hi @Cassidy
Welcome to BoneSmart!
You've come to the right place for answers and encouragement as who knows better than those that have walked the path before us.

I can relate to your post on many levels. I didn't like that I needed a replacement at age 60 either as I had concerns of outliving my implant. Read below, I think you'll find it interesting
http://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/hips-that-have-lasted-32-40-41-and-45-years.13853/

I also shared your concerns regarding the loss of my natural hip. As a matter of fact I just posted about it yesterday and the tears I shed over the loss. So you're not alone.

I'm sorry for all that led you to this point. While THR is a difficult decision for many, was for me at least, it is a life changer. It takes away the pain, gives you back mobility and most importantly life!

Wondering if you have a date scheduled that we could add to your signature or if you're still in the research
decision making stages. I wish you the best on your journey and please know we'll be here to offer you encouragement along the way.
A pleasant weekend to you!

PS check out the library under the blue header at the top of the page. Lots of useful info
to be found there.

Last edited:
Thank you for being so encouraging - I'm sure I'll need a hand held on the way! My main worry now is that I'm going into it too soon, as I could be fairly immobile and relatively pain free, but I've had to give up any attempt at rambling or dancing, etc. I wish I had the resolve of my husband (although it's not his hip!).

I'll read anything that comes my way, thank you! I don't have a date yet, and was convinced I'd have to wait a few months to give me time to either chicken out or get used to the idea, but a fellow swimmer, who went on the list in November, has just been called for surgery, so I have a feeling that my time might be closer than I thought! I asked the consultant whether the replacement would be cemented or uncemented, and he said uncemented as my bones look good, but now I read that often uncemented joints have to be non weight bearing. I suppose he'll tell me when I get to it. (Maybe I'm actually reading too much!!)

It's difficult not to read / research when you're making a decision such as this.
Feel free to throw out questions here anytime and we'll try to help or steer you in the right direction.
We also have the good fortune of a Nurse Director, Josephine who worked in the field of orthopedics for
50-60 yrs so she is a wealth of information. We tag her for the tough questions and her expertise has benefited multitudes.
Just know we're available if you need us. Lights never go out here.
@Cassidy

From what you've said, your quality of life is already diminished. You're in pain if you try to do normal things and are no longer doing things you love. Jump in with both feet! You will find the surgery to be life changing - you'll get yourself back! I'm dancing and having fun and not having to let the pain limit me and I didn't wait nearly as long as you did. My first hip went downhill fast and I was where you are a year after the problems started (if you don't count the stiffness I'd had for years and ignored and never thought of as being hip problems). It made such a difference in my life that I didn't wait to get to that point with my second hip. No regrets!

I think maybe I protest too much! I went to my GP before Christmas because I had a bad patch, but I can get a few days when it doesn't bother me much (as long as I don't walk too far), and then I convince myself that I can wait a bit longer. I'm so pleased to hear that you're dancing, because I keep wondering if I have the op, whether I'll be able to move around without fear of dislocation.

@Cassidy - I also questioned whether I moved ahead to early and I was not as limited as you appear. I agree with @SaraK and @Layla regarding their advice/comments. For me the surgery was successful. I am stretching in all directions and am back to all prior activities (except running and others that may increase wear - my choice). My surgeon and PT advised that once you get past the six week recovery the risk of location is pretty low and it would take a large unexpected push or awkward fall to cause any problem.
Data supports a strong percentage THR lasting at least 20 years (and that is based on materials from 20 years ago...). It is likely/hopeful that a THR performed today will last much longer.
Continue to research and question. Know that most surgeries are very successful. Sometimes when you research it is easy to get overly concerned as many people who post are dealing with issues (I know, this happened to me...). Folks without issues are usually happily out living their lives...
D

Thank you for your sensible advice regarding over-searching for info regarding hip replacement; I get used to the idea of the op, then I frighten myself! I don't expect to go running - I haven't for forty years or so! - but wondered how I'd even get down on the floor to do basic exercises without twisting too much. I hope I'll stop expecting the worst after a while.

For whatever it's worth, hanging around here as a lurker, for months, before I became a member, is what
gave me the courage to move forward and schedule my surgery. I got tired of googling on my iPad like it was a Magic 8 ball and decided I was going to learn from people who been there / done that rather than flipping myself out with all the crazy topics I tended to look up. You know which ones....you're doing it yourself.
Stick with us, we'll see you through :wink: That's a promise! @dapplega gets my drift, he struggled also.
Many, many of us have.
@Cassidy

Last edited:
Too young....yeah, I hear that. The (only) beautiful thing about needing a new hip is that you can get one. I get the attachment to a body part thing too...I still might ask for my old hip. (new coffee table art?) And if you take care of that new hip (and with all the tears I spent on it, I plan on doing so) it will last as long as I breathe....no time time like the present...seriously.

Last edited:
I'm 62 now and worry that I'm too young, given the potential lifespan of the new hip
So I suppose you've been told they only last about 10 years - is that it? Well take a look at these and consider when those hips were implanted and how much technology has advanced since then!
Hips that have lasted 32, 40, 41 and 45 years
67½ year old - the THRs, not the patient!

As for being too young you might like to see our star, shugaplum, who had her hip done at the tender age of 24 and two years later gave birth to a fine baby boy!

ai58.tinypic.com_jt6xa8.jpg

You might also take a look here Teenage hip replacements
the bone itself is perfectly good, there just isn't any cartilage left
That's the textbook definition of arthritis!
I also worry a lot about the hip dislocating
The key to this is to be extra careful about your choice of surgeon. Yes, I know we in the UK tend to think we get what we are given but it's not entirely true! We do have a degree of choice, it's all in here NHS choice: Patient's Charter and your right to choose.

I'm always late to the party, but welcome @Cassidy . I just had my hip replaced a few days ago at the ripe old age of 44. I have to tell you I chickened out more than once and if it wasn't for these fine people I would've chickened out again. Although I still have pain from surgery, it is nothing like the pain I was dealing with before. @Layla Wasn't kidding when she said the lights never go out here. There's always someone here to listen.

@Cassidy - I also questioned whether I moved ahead to early and I was not as limited as you appear. I agree with @SaraK and @Layla regarding their advice/comments. For me the surgery was successful. I am stretching in all directions and am back to all prior activities (except running and others that may increase wear - my choice). My surgeon and PT advised that once you get past the six week recovery the risk of location is pretty low and it would take a large unexpected push or awkward fall to cause any problem.
Data supports a strong percentage THR lasting at least 20 years (and that is based on materials from 20 years ago...). It is likely/hopeful that a THR performed today will last much longer.
Continue to research and question. Know that most surgeries are very successful. Sometimes when you research it is easy to get overly concerned as many people who post are dealing with issues (I know, this happened to me...). Folks without issues are usually happily out living their lives...
D

Thanks - that's all very encouraging. I'm off for my MRI shortly, and if that doesn't show any infection lurking, I'm going to go ahead with it. I was contemplating going into town tomorrow, but instead of just hopping (no pun intended!) on the bus, I have to plan where to park the car to get the least walking - shows the stage I've got to. I must look forward to shopping without boundaries!!

D

I'm pleased to hear you're upbeat about it all - and hope you continue to improve. I'll watch your progress with interest. xx

Best of luck with the MRI, @Cassidy
I hope once you find an easy peasy parking spot you have fun shopping tomorrow.
I recall those days driving around looking for the closest spot. No fun.
Hope your weekend is peaceful!

but now I read that often uncemented joints have to be non weight bearing.
Not at all. Both my THRs were uncemented and I had no weight bearing restrictions.

Where in Kent are you? Do you already have a surgeon? I had my LTHR when I lived in Kent.

Just to add reassurance - you will not regret this surgery. It will give you your life back. Please don't worry about dislocation or any mobility issues. Yes, you might move around slowly at first. But you will quickly get to the point of forgetting that new hip.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
tibiaplateauaft
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom