Question about wearing heels after knee replacement?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buckeye

Country
United States United States
Have any of you gals out there been able to wear heels again after KRS?
If so, how long after your surgery were you able to do so? I am not talking about stilettos, just a nice looking shoe for date night.
Sorry if this has been addressed before... couldn't find it on the forum.
I went to the theatre over the weekend and wore some shoes with a low heel and later that night I noticed that me knee was a bit more tender.

Re: Question about wearing heals after knee replacement?

Hi Buckeye
I am a hippy although had my first knee surgery recently. But no help with the shoes. My youngest daughter is always trying to get me to where heals of some kind.
I am such a klutz, I am even afraid to try them on.

Judy

Buckeye... I was wondering the same thing. How post-op are you?

I'm 4 1/2 months post-op and we'll be going on a cruise when I'm 6 months post-op. My heels are only 2" but right now there's no sense even trying them on. I have some dressy flats... but my dressy clothes just don't look the same with flats. I'm only 5'2" and could use those extra 2". On the positive side, I know I'll be able to get around the 107,000 ton ship without a problem.
Sandy

I wore brand new 3 1/2 '' heels for my 50th birthday party. I was just 2 months post left TKR......but I had my crutches as well as I had to keep them for 12 weeks.....
Since then I regularly wear 2 1/2 '' heels on nights out to our local pub...I dont think I would wear them if I had to walk any distance , but it does make me feel better..like you said Sandy , you dont feel dressed up in flats.
I have cheated sometimes and taken them off under the table for a while, but find that generally my posture is better and that I make sure I lock my knee back when walking...
I saw my surgeon last week at 6 months post op and had a pair of 1 1/2'' heels on. He actually commented on the confidence that I was getting as he had only ever seen me in totally flat shoes before....
Just wear what you feel comfortable in I say, and if it feels good...GO FOR IT..
(but be safe )..

Love and hugs Pat xxx
ps I'm only 4' 11'' so deffo need the extra few inches lolol

Sandy and Judy,
I am about 9 weeks post op. I know it's still early, but I was just wondering about the heel issue. I am also a shorty, only 5'4" and also could use some extra height. I am lucky I can walk without a cane. I am not very stable in heels either.
I probably shouldn't worry too much about heels cause I have one more knee to go.
How lucky to be going on a cruise. You certainly deserve it. Low heels, flip flops and sandals will be perfect for the cruise.

A court should be okay but no 6" stilletoes!
ai21.photobucket.com_albums_b286_flagady15_smilies_heehee.jpg

atbn3_google_com_images_fda624ffc8d9d5dfe8d54ce39fd78ddb._.jpg

Jo,
Oh my goodness, I will never be able to wear those!
I just realized i spelled heels wrong in my thread! Healing must be on my
mind. Thanks for not ripping me on that one!

Haha! Buck! I noticed right away & got a laugh out of it! Actually, since I've been away,,,,,,please forgive some of MY spelling errors,,,,,I've been typing on a Blackberry & it doesn't let me edit!

Jo,,,,,I don't know ANY woman who could walk a block with those sexy stilettoes,,,let alone us hippies or knee people! But they look amazing! I wonder what happened to her other shoe?

I just realized i spelled heels wrong in my thread! Healing must be on my
mind. Thanks for not ripping me on that one!

It's not a 'ripabble' offence! Anyway, I edited it for you. Meant to do it earlier but it slipped my mind .... must be thinking of something else!

Jo,
Quick question. In regard to shoes again, is a court a tennis shoe?

I was thinking more something like this - though you have a point. I suppose the 'court' description is a peculiarly British one!

Libby%20Black%20240.jpg

And a "court shoe" has two meanings here in NZ - a shoe as in Jo's pic above (mind you, I would have thought of a shorter heel) and a white-soled shoe you would wear on an indoor squash (racquetball?) court.

As another tall and very klutzy hippy, I stick to flats :)
Monica

Hi Ladies,
You must have ESP because I was wondering the same thing. I dress up for work everyday. I have a list of questions for my OS and this is on it. I am having my 2 week post op apt on Thurday. I'll let you know what he says- Cheryl

Thanks for clearing that up Jo and Monica,
Looks like I am sticking to flats for quite a while also.

I can only dream of heels and pretty shoes. NO one makes pretty shoes as wide as I need 'em! I laugh when I think about how a pointy-toed shoe would look for a foot as wide as mine...

Weezy

Weezy, you and me both! Even when I wasn't obese I was big! I am what my grandmother used to politely call "big boned"!

Can never get a hat to fit. Gloves - home; have to buy mens gloves, work; size 8 rubber gloves which even few of the men wore! Even specs; have to buy men's frames!

But shoes! Oh my! A nightmare! I take (UK) size 8 EE or EEE. I go into a shop and say I need shoes in this style, this size and they say "What colour, madam?" To which I reply that the colour is immaterial, just have you got some? Usually they come back and say the biggest they have is a 7 or 7½!

Consequently, I end up wearing my shoes for years!!

Wow, I was also wondering about shoes. I tried my shoes that I "used" to wear with my jeans and felt okay, but chickened out and put my runners on. I am 6 weeks today and actually feeling quite well

Deb

If you can get them on and walk comfortably in them, great! But for a while your sense of balance might be compromised which is why you need to be cautious to begin with.

ladies -- I've been wondering and hoping about the heels too. I'm just 5'2" and haven't been able to wear any heel for years because of my knee. I'm 4 weeks out from RTKR today so I'm just looking for hope down the road. Just 2 inches would be fantastic!!
Stephani

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties