Question about timing second hip

Henrysmom1

Country
United States United States
Hi! I have lurked awhile and have learned so much from all of you, but I have a question now. I have arthritis in both hips now for several years and am scheduled to have my right hip replaced (anterior) on November 16th. My primary problem with my hips is stiffness and weakness; my pain isn’t too bad, although maybe I’ve just gotten used to it!

I need both hips done, but my surgeon won’t do both hips at the same time and requires at least 3 months between them. My problem is this: I need to change insurance January 1st due to my sons serious medical issues and the new insurance will require I start from scratch with a new surgeon. I really like my surgeon and would like to wait a year to do the second one with him.

I guess what I am asking is if you definitely needed both hips done, did you wait a year to do the second? If yes, what are some things for me to think about? Would a steroid injection help buy my left hip some time? Worst case scenario is that if it gets rapidly worse I could seek a hip replacement with the new doctor, although he doesn’t do anterior approach.

Any insight would help, I am so eager to get this behind me and get back to fully living! Wish me luck!

Roach

I really can’t offer much advice as I haven’t been through this scenario myself. I have only had one hip replaced using anterior. However, I have read often here on the forum that recovery times are very similar no matter which approach you use. Most recommend using the approach your doctor recommends and is most comfortable with. I personally would not choose a surgeon based on the approach he/she used but instead by how many surgeries they have done and what their results are. I’m sure it is all a difficult decision for you but I feel confident you will come up with a plan you feel comfortable with. It sounds like you have a lot on your plate with both your son’s health and your own health on your mind. Sending healing thoughts your way.
:flwrysmile::yes!::flwrysmile:

@Henrysmom1
I had a right posterior THR in July and am having the left one done on 24th of this month. My OS said that he would leave at least 3 months between surgeries too. I have seen a fair few threads on here from people who have had both hips done at the same time but if that isn't an option then I would probably get the second one done as soon as I could.
Having said that, only you know how much it is affecting your life. As Grannyc has said I too would go for a surgeon with plenty of experience rather than the particular approach.
Best wishes for your upcoming op

Welcome to BoneSmart!
I guess what I am asking is if you definitely needed both hips done, did you wait a year to do the second?
There is really no definite answer to this question. It's all about quality of life and what condition the hip is in now. Unfortunately hips can go from tolerable to horrid literally overnight. Then there is the risk of a collapse. Believe me you don't want to experience that pain.

I had a different surgeon and approach on my second hip. I went for number of THRs done in a year and was totally happy with the result.

At 3 months the OS wanted to know if I was ready for my right to be done. I wasn't so I'm waiting and I'm not having much pain or problems with the right.

I went a little over a year between mine - I was technically ready at about 8 months, but other factors caused me to postpone. I had a cortisone injection around 7 months, but that helped for about a week, max. You never know how it will go.
Are you unable to use the current surgeon because he's not in network with your new insurance plan? Might be worth getting all of the consults done as early as possible with the new surgeon so that when you do have to pull the trigger, you are ready to go.

Good luck

Look around for a surgeon who does do bilaterals. There are plenty of them around!

As for should you wait, well that's entirely up to you but you do risk increasing pain if you do.

In the area I live in there are only 3 or 4 surgeons who do the anterior approach and none will do bilateral. My brother had both hips done at same time but his surgeon retired. I honestly have a hard time determining if my left hip is really bad because I just hurt all over my groin and buttocks. Hoping that once the right is done (in 6 days!) I will get a better sense of what I am dealing with. Wish me luck!

@Henrysmom1
You might be surprised that number one will greatly help lefty or as some have found...number two needed attending to sooner than later.
You might be interested in following @Alitm.
She had one done two months ago and her surgery date for number two is this week...same date as yours!
I have asked bottomshollow to add you to the list of November Nimbles and plug the date in your signature.
We will be rooting for you!

Hi @Henrysmom1, Welcome to the forum. It is a great place to be when having THR!!

We have the same surgery date, this Friday, Nov 16th! My hip issues started with a funny catch in my left hip when I was riding my horse in 2015, then my ROM went down hill in both hips and then the pain set in. Pain wise my right hip overtook my left hip this summer, so I had RTHR on Sept 14th via posterior approach.

I will be nine weeks post-op on Friday from my right hip surgery, when I have my LTHR via posterior approach, same surgeon. He prefers to do second surgeries 8 - 10 weeks post op first surgery, so I'm right in the middle of that. I like the gap that I've had and would not have wanted to wait any longer. I'm walking well on my first surgery hip and limping on my left needing to be done hip! I've had time to get my first surgery hip feeling better and stronger (by walking only and slowly increasing activities of daily living, no PT) before heading back for second surgery. My left hip has been worked hard these last weeks, and I'm thankful I'm having the surgery now! I wouldn't want to wait any longer. I am anxious to get back to my active life style, without pain and restrictions.

Hips are tricky, I've read about the second hip that could supposedly wait awhile, turn very painful quite quickly, whereas others have been able to wait. My OS says x-ray don't tell the whole story. I asked him what he would consider a benchmark. He said when sleep becomes affected, our quality of life starts to suffer. My world was getting smaller and smaller and had gone through three mattresses in three years!! It was time!

I'll be thinking of you on Friday! Wishing you a restful few days. Look forward to seeing you on the healing side! :flwrysmile:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
MrsFeinbe
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom