THR Progress not Perfection

Thank you so much for your helpful words- it does seem at times that I am taking 1 step forward then 5 back! I began having a rapid pulse and elevated blood pressure. The doctor is doing some tests on me but told me I need to cut my activity in half!!! I spent most of the day testing but will take it a lot slower going forward! I had baked cookies and make a rather fussy and complicated dinner during the day, with a very busy day shopping and driving a ways to get my daughter’s prescription the day before. I think the doctor is right!

I know this is a hard time of the year to cut back on activity, and especially when we are coming out of the slowest boring part of recovery:bored:
Seems like there are so many folks now that I know have gone through a joint replacement...hip, knee... and people get very flippant about it.

This was a Major surgery... a controlled assault on the body for the endgame of getting back to pain-free, healthy, and happy.
But your body has been through a lot and needs you to baby it while it uses that energy for healing..

Please take the good doctor's advice... don't need to add any problems, right?

I hope today is Easy Peasy!

It's so easy to overdo things as we start to feel better, @Catmomma. (Been there, too! :wink: ). But our bodies have a way of letting us know when it's time to back off.

You are still early days in this recovery. Remember that, when we are healing, our bodies need a lot of energy for tissue repair and recovery. Resting is not doing nothing; it's supporting your recovery.

:flwrysmile:

Latest development-medical issues! Yikes!
The day after my doctors said I was “released from my restrictions” I overdid and had two episodes of Rapid Pulse rate in the 130 range, at bedtime two nights in a row. I now have a Zio Monitor (ex-Holter Monitor) plastered to my chest, and a stern admonition from my Primary doctor to “do half of what you’ve been doing.” I also had a CT done to see if I had a pulmonary embolus (clot) which I don’t but now am referred to a pulmonologist.

This all happened the day I was supposed to start outpatient PT.

I have been so discouraged and haven’t been doing my at home PT exercises like I should. I still have pain in spite of Tylenol 1000 mg 3X daily. Just added some Advil occasionally. I am on my 8th week out and thought I would be further along than this. Bah Humbug!

I am on my 8th week out and thought I would be further along than this.
Eight weeks into a process that can take one year or longer is still very early days. Please reset your expectations.This recovery is a marathon - not a sprint. Slow and steady.

And do not worry about PT. Hips don't really need all that. Walking is the best exercise for a new hip.

Thank you, Jaycey! I get hard on myself when the fact is I had two major surgeries in 6 months time. I’m a bit entitled to be a little slower! In July I had a total hysterectomy. Oophorectomy, salpingectomy and removal of enormous ovarian cyst. This pushed back my total hip replacement till November

@Catmomma no wonder your body is reacting the easy it is. You haven't fully healed from your previous surgery which sure doesn't look like it was a walk in the park. And now you're trying to heal from your THR and the body is saying stop, I can't!

I know it can be so hard to be patient and take it slow but you really have a lot of healing that still needs to take place. If your doctor is telling you to cut your activities in half I'm pretty sure he's not going to be real upset that you didn't start outpatient PT or that you're not doing your exercises at home. I'm thinking he'd probably be relieved.

Please try to kick back a bit more, ice, it really is wonderful, have some cookies and hot chocolate and binge watch your favorite TV show or old movies. Nap if you feel the need, we do some of our best healing while sleeping. Walking around the house and doing your daily activities is plenty of activity for now.

Hope you enjoy the rest of the holidays and may the New Year be bright for you.
:happy-new-years-toast-smiley-emoticon: :xmas-wave-smiley-emoticon:

Thank you, Jaycey! I get hard on myself when the fact is I had two major surgeries in 6 months time. I’m a bit entitled to be a little slower! In July I had a total hysterectomy. Oophorectomy, salpingectomy and removal of enormous ovarian cyst. This pushed back my total hip replacement till November
OMG you've been through the mill this year! I had identical gyn surgery many years back and can't imagine doing both. YES be kind and gentle with yourself.
I agree that walking and the daily activities you tolerate are all the therapy you need.

:hi: @Catmomma
I hope you had a good week and enjoyed the holidays.
Happy Two Month Anniversary!
Best Wishes for a great 2024!

Thank you!! New question- is it normal for your operative hip and thigh to “seize up” when you stand up and then you have to stand there a minute before walking away?

Thank you!! New question- is it normal for your operative hip and thigh to “seize up” when you stand up and then you have to stand there a minute before walking away?
Yes ma'am... seems like once you get more active, the tighter you are after resting.
This was the case for me for many months after my BTHR.
I would get up and march in place for a bit and tell those new hips to come on with it...:chuckmarch:

I get up during the Ads when watching Tv and walk on the spot much to the amusement of my husband. It all helps.

I also sit on the side of the bed when getting up and swing my legs having done some ankle pumps first. It all helps.

Glute sqeezes are great even as we sit or while lying down.
Before standing, I try to wiggle feet, squeeze calves then quads then glutes and take deep breaths. Scootch to the seat or bed edge and throw hands forward as I stand. Then stretch hands up and more deep breaths. I feel like this gets all my rested parts active.
:climb:
All the best!

Happy Three Month Anniversary!
I hope you had a good January. Let us know how you're doing next time you're on the forum.
Hope to hear from you soon.
@Catmomma

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
LadyZ
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom