Preop testing

Quiltmom

Country
United States United States
So I had my preop blood work done. I had a slightly elevated calcium. A PTH was done. It's very high 110.4. Has this happened to anyone else. Have to see an endocrinologist . They may cancel my surgery.

Hi @Quiltmom....welcome to the forum :wave: I'm sorry you've come up against this possible roadblock, it must be very worrying. I'll tag the forum expert, @Josephine who is a very experienced ortho nurse, and she might be able to shed some light

It's always best to check these things out. That's the whole point of the pre-op medical. Better to know now and get it looked into than find it out 'by accident' in the middle of the operation, wouldn't you say?

Of course I understand that.. however this the 3rd time I've had a problem. Extremely frustrated .

Sorry to hear your blood work didn't come back clean. High calcium could be many different things, but yeah, better to figure out what it is now, then to find out during surgery. I totally understand that it is frustrating as all get out. ((((hugs)))) Hoping it is just a temporary thing and you can move ahead with surgery. Feel free to come here and vent whenever you need to.

Hi QuiltMom - I'm sorry to hear that your surgery may be postponed/cancelled. I am sure you are feeling frustrated. I hope you can get some answers very soon. It takes quite the mindset to get to the point where you are ready to go forward with the THR to begin with. Will keep you in my thoughts & prayers for answers!

Sorry to hear your blood work didn't come back clean. High calcium could be many different things, but yeah, better to figure out what it is now, then to find out during surgery. I totally understand that it is frustrating as all get out. ((((hugs)))) Hoping it is just a temporary thing and you can move ahead with surgery. Feel free to come here and vent whenever you need to.
Thank you. I should know by the end of the week.

So this am went to see the orthopedic nurse practitioner. For final physical and pick up nose medication. She seems to feel they won't cancel me. We shall see!

So nervous... so much conflicting information. They tell me I can sleep on my operative side when ever I want too. No pillow between legs. If I sleep on back or other side pillow between legs. No one has been able to give me a straight answer about sitting in my recliner. But as long as my chair is high enough I can sit at my sewing machine and sew.(LEFT LEG Will be OPERATIVE LEG) so no problem foot pedal on right side. Now the big question is will i need a seat for my tub/shower. Tub is 13 inches high. And then there are the dogs. We have a Goldador(100 lbs) and pug (20 lbs). The pug is a lap dog and sleeps between my feet. The Goldador sometimes sleeps between my husband an I. What do i do. The pug is old and I hate to crate him at that age. Both dog are very gentle.

@Quiltmom my suggestion would be to write down all your unanswered questions or conflicting information and ask your surgeon on the day. You will meet him/her before your op. Surgeons set any restrictions - not staff. Get your information direct from the source.
And then there are the dogs.
Most of us here found our pets instinctively knew we were on the mend and avoided our op side. If your larger dog jumps - that is an issue you will need to address. I would wait and see how your pups react.

@Quiltmom
Most of us here found our pets instinctively knew we were on the mend and avoided our op side. If your larger dog jumps - that is an issue you will need to address. I would wait and see how your pups react.

Actually I'm more worried about at night in bed than anything else. Last year I had abdominal surgery and they didn't jump on me. You're correct in the fact that they know. They both are very clingy ,touchy breeds. 20180107_115634.jpg

So let me tell you how I got here...
I'm 69 a former obstetric nurse and then I moved into health care informatics. 3 adult children 5 grandchildren. Married 51 years this September. Have had a rough time bone health wise the last 16 years. 3 Cervical spine surgeries and 1 lumbar laminectomy. Carpal tunnel surgery x3 . 2 and a half years ago slipped in laundry and did a split. Lots of pain went to doctor and given muscle relaxant. No help. After a month started to see orthopedic doctor ended up with laminectomy. Still having difficulty walking, pain in back and severe pain in knees and groin pain. Told I have mild arthrits in knees. Unable to sleep. Got discusted with physician I was seeing and switched doctors 6 months ago. Took me off anti-inflammatory because of length of time takeing them within a week I couldn't walk. Did some tests and came back with no wonder you've been so uncomfortable bone on bone both hips. Now I'm talking to you guys. Because of my back history...the previous physician focused on my back. And did not listen to my symptoms. IMAG0172_0.jpg

:hi: Your doggy's face! Now that's just adorable, and looks like sincere sympathy for your situation.
I can relate to the frustration about misdiagnosis as they concentrated on my back for 18 months...xrays, MRIs , bone scan...before a simple hip Xray ordered by a neurologist revealed end stage bone on bone OA!
Double Hip replacement was the only option I was given as a remedy.
I had gotten desperate with pain and sleeplessness!
Now I'm all bionic and back to my life.
It IS a journey...but life without hip pain is worth all of it for me!
At least, now you know and you have also found Bonesmart...which has been in invaluable tool for my recovery.
Keep the faith!:ok:

:hi: Your doggy's face! Now that's just adorable, and looks like sincere sympathy for your situation.
I can relate to the frustration about misdiagnosis as they concentrated on my back for 18 months...xrays, MRIs , bone scan...before a simple hip Xray ordered by a neurologist revealed end stage bone on bone OA!
Double Hip replacement was the only option I was given as a remedy.
I had gotten desperate with pain and sleeplessness!
Now I'm all bionic and back to my life.
It IS a journey...but life without hip pain is worth all of it for me!
At least, now you know and you have also found Bonesmart...which has been in invaluable tool for my recovery.
Keep the faith!:ok:

I'm hoping so. I am finally sleeping a little better (was sleeping in recliner). Now sleeping in adjustable bed in zero G position. Helps immensely still in pain of course but not as severe.

@Quiltmom I was on the same journey. I had spinal surgery and then experienced more pain. I then had 2 spinal epidural injections - both didn't work. I was even scheduled for another injection when my left hip collapsed. X-ray was pretty ugly. Six months later LTHR. For years medics told me it was lower back issues. Needless to say recovery from my LTHR was long and complicated due to limping around for so long.

Not long now for you! Hang in there.

Still so very nervous.
Of course you are nervous. We were all in the same space pre-op. Talk about it here on the forum. Other members are feeling the same and those of us who have been through this journey totally understand. Waiting for surgery is actually the worst part!

:hi:Try to curb some of your anxiety about the surgery with the excitement of getting rid of that horrid Hip pain and getting your life back . (I know, easy for me to say now that I'm all done)

You're going to do great...and a great new bed to recover in too!:loveshwr:

Thank you I appreciate the support from you and the group. Still so very nervous.

Don't be too nervous Quiltmom. Are you by chance in Texas? My operation went so smooooothly. I'm 4 days out of my surgery. Non weight bearing for 6 weeks

Last edited by a moderator:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker