Pre-Surgery Ensure

My surgeon is having us drink Premier Protein which is 160 calories but has a high protein content. I have been on the Keto diet and have been trying to lose weight but drinking 2 of these very sweet drinks has added weight to me. I take a lot of supplements and my diet is good so I think I'm going to cut down to 1x a day.

I got the Ensure the other day from the hospital. It's not made of milk but a clear drink. Has anyone had this?

Attachments

• ensure.jpg
    ensure.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 222
Yes I did, exactly the same thing. Drank as instructed!

Interesting to read that some of the US based patients on here are encouraged to drink on the day of their surgery. Here in the UK, my experience over numerous surgeries and 4 knee surgeries, I've never been allowed to eat after midnight the day before/of surgery and only been allowed sips of water. That's been the case whether I've had general anaesthetic or spinal. I've booked in at an hospital for surgery in the past at 7am, having had nil by mouth and not gone into surgery until 5pm. I was starving and dehydrated by the time I got back from the recovery room. I understand the reasons I've been given before is to avoid nausea it's just interesting to see the comparative difference on this forum.

They don't want you to go into surgery dehydrated.

The rules used to be Nil by Mouth after midnight if you were having surgery in the morning and a light breakfast and then Nil by Mouth if you were having afternoon surgery.

Here in New Zealand, my husband had major surgery last week.
He was given tea and toast at 2 a.m., then sips of water with his morning medications at 6 a.m. and he was in theatre at 8:15 a.m.

Interesting to read that some of the US based patients on here are encouraged to drink on the day of their surgery. Here in the UK, my experience over numerous surgeries and 4 knee surgeries, I've never been allowed to eat after midnight the day before/of surgery and only been allowed sips of water. That's been the case whether I've had general anaesthetic or spinal. I've booked in at an hospital for surgery in the past at 7am, having had nil by mouth and not gone into surgery until 5pm. I was starving and dehydrated by the time I got back from the recovery room. I understand the reasons I've been given before is to avoid nausea it's just interesting to see the comparative difference on this forum.
I had a similar experience for a different type of surgery.I found that the hardest to recover from not having fluids for 18 hours....we have the same rule in Australia no drink or food after midnight before your surgery.

I was able to have clears after midnight. Drank clear liquid ensure 2 hours before surgery. It pleasant to be hydrated before surgery.

eww, that does sound disgusting. My OS ordered folic acid and 2 iron pills a day from now until surgery date of 5/30.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom