THR Post surgery

ajhines19

Country
United States United States
So guys I’m a 38 m with oa in both hips mild in left end stage in right was putting surgery off for a year do to fear finally went in today and was so nervous nurses have me something for my anxiety and calmed me down some got in operation room and pass right out woke up in the recovery room in the most pain I’ve ever had in my life they had to adjust meds to get my pain management right and then my surgeon told me that my hip was so badly damaged that I had no mobility left in. He had to take a lot of bone out of it. in my recovery room did a little physical therapy earlier. My pots is flaring up a little bit. my surgeon said everything went great and the hip has so much more mobility now so I will never recovery and pain management. Will keep everyone updated with my progress and thank you all you have been a big help.

Last edited:
Was just freaking out again my IV machines going off like crazy saying air in the line so it was freaking me out so I’m screaming for the nurse

Ok...take a breath. You're under medical care, in a safe place, with alarms and notifications systems designed for your safety and care. You WILL be alright, so let's just focus on pain becoming manageable, then slowly easing as you regain your stamina and become steadier on your feet through healing with assistance / direction from a gentle physical therapist and the loving care of your wife. We're here for support and encouragement also, whenever you're in need. There are others here healing right along with you. I suggest you read some of their stories so you feel less alone in your pain and recovery.
Best Wishes and lots of comfort to you!
@ajhines19

HIP RECOVERY GUIDELINES
As you begin healing, please keep in mind that each recovery is unique. While the BoneSmart philosophy successfully works for many, there will be exceptions. Between the recommendations found here, your surgeon's recovery protocol and any physical therapy you may engage in, the key is to find what works best for you.

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary.

If you want to use something to assist with healing and scar management, BoneSmart recommends hypochlorous solution. Members in the US can purchase ACTIVE Antimicrobial Hydrogel through BoneSmart at a discount. Similar products should be available in the UK and other countries.

2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
BoneSmart philosophy for sensible post op therapy
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this
Activity progression for THRs
The recovery articles
Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery
Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

Nutrition is of paramount importance. Available here are dietary tips, nutrition basics and additional food supplements. These articles are both general advice on food and specific guidelines aimed at people both pre- and post-surgery.

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Is it normal that when I got up to walk with pt I couldn’t stand straight up

Yep.

You're weak as heck! And your energy level is going to be low for a while because on a cellular level your body is using every bit of it to repair itself.

In the next few weeks you need to give yourself permission to rest and nap without feeling like your unproductive. In the words of staffer Roy Gardiner "When you are icing and elevating and watching telly you are not 'dossing around' you are 'engaging a carefully considered proactively designed heuristically programmed dynamically structured recovery programme'."

I hope they are addressing your pain. Hang in there.

Umm, yeah, lol. You're medicated, possibly had a little drop in BP and your leg has been through controlled trauma today. :heehee: So yeah...one may feel a little weak and wobbly after such an event.

It was like I couldnt straighten my back out

Last edited:
This will take time and you will have some ups and down, stay focused on the prize, life after recovery.
No more hip pain and back to the things that you love, but were unable to do as your hip deteriorated.
Safe travels home, if it's today.
@ajhines19

Just had 2nd pt they said I did great I feel like I did bad my leg is so heavy and it’s so hard to get out of bed they are coming back later for steps if I do them I’m going home they told me be east on myself I’m a big guy I’m 6”3 265 but I didn’t think it would be this hard

my leg is so heavy
That's all normal. We call it "log leg" and it can continue for several weeks. My first few days, I needed help to get my leg up into bed. Then I started to use a towel to lift it myself.

Don't be concerned if the leg becomes more swollen and heavier over the next few days -- that's normal too. Also, expect lots of bruising. Again, normal.

You are on the healing side now, @ajhines19, and it will get better! It just takes time.

Log leg is real. It takes awhile and it's weird, but it's normal. You're going to be exhausted for a while, like they said, your body went through trauma!

Log Leg -

The first stage of healing is the inflammatory phase. During this time it is very common to notice swelling. After lower extremity surgery, or trauma involving bleeding and inflammation, there will be fluid in the leg causing the sensation of heaviness. Gravity pulls the fluid downward and since the patient is less mobile the fluid is not pumping back through the heart as quickly. The swelling gradually eases, but can persist for up to 3-6 months in some cases. Regular movement will assist in the reduction of swelling, as will elevation and ice. Your surgeon may prescribe compression stockings for a short period of time.

Following joint replacement, you may benefit from the use of a Leg Lifter. The Leg Lifter is a mobility aid that can assist in getting in and out of cars, wheelchairs, beds, recliners and much more. The Leg Lifter is an inexpensive option that helps provide safe movement in the early days to weeks of recovery.

As benne68 mentioned, a towel can be just as effective as a Leg Lifter assistive device. Many also use the belt from a bathrobe. That will work also.

I am so scared my wife bent my knee to high getting in the car

You're fine. Trust me, if there was a problem you'd have Very Much Felt It.
(I do understand... right after my first knee replacement I was sure if I took the slightest misstep the entire implant would break apart. Um...nope)

@mendogal I’m the same I keep thinking I’m going to do something to it if I move it

@ajhines19 While you do need to be a bit cautious at first, it is unusual to have a new hip dislocate. And even with a natural hip the risk of dislocation is never zero! But as you heal from surgery and the new hip settles in the risk does get less and less. Here's a chart showing the approximate risk of dislocation at various stages of recovery from hip replacement. Do ease your mind and relax - relaxing will go a long way to help you heal well!

1710549789167.jpeg

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Unique Mike
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom