• SCHEDULED MAINTENANCE. BoneSmart will be unavailable from 8:00am - 10:00am CDT on Tuesday, May 21, 2024 due to required systems maintenance and upgrade.

If you are unable to log in, please check back later and the maintenance should be completed.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Hemi-Arthroplasty Partial left hip replacement

gofngal

Country
United States United States
I had a partial hip replacement Nov. 1, 2021. I'm on 3rd month of recovery,still have groin pain. Sometimes i walk perfectly. Other times the pain pops up for mo apparent reason and I hav to use the cane. I just want to know if anyone else has this problem. I've had 3 months of pt.
Now going it alone and at the gym. How long does this take to heal, I'm an active person, golfing, gardening, lov it outdoors. My flower beds have been neglected.

Hi @gofngal :welome: to BoneSmart!
I replied to your post asking about joining the November surgery group, but will also try to help you here, too.

Glad to see that you were able to make yourself a recovery thread... it can be a big support for you.
Can you please give details on your surgery? We like to place it in a signature for you for easy reference. If you look at the bottom of my post here, you will see mine.
?What helps is to have whether it's your right or left hip.
We have the date so that is helpful. Can you give some information in regards to the partial replacement? I am assuming that the ball portion of your hip was replaced?

Let's give you your reading materials too.. some of it might still be of some help to you. Hopefully reading through some of them you will see that there's probably some more healing that needs to be done.

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

6. Access to these pages on the website

Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask the at each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

My first thoughts when reading your question above.. you mentioned Phys. Therapy, were you doing some extensive exercises? Sometimes the exercises can slow down progress and irritate some of the soft tissues in your hip joint..
As for groin pain, many of us had issues with that and sometimes it takes a while for the hip flexors/tendons to calm down. In general, a recovery can take a year to have everything settle down. Not what you will like to hear but at least you know you aren't alone in that.
I think if you do a search for Partial Hip replacements, you will find other members with the same kind of surgery. I'll see if I can find some for you.

It was a stupid freak accident, my shoelace caught on a nail under the cabinet and it threw me on a ceremic floor, left hip, a femur displacement, the ball and stem,
Stem was not cemented, it was a one piece replacement. I've never had any pain sitting are lying around. No pain meds were ever needed. It's just this groin pain ever so often and I have to hav cane when this happens.
All x-rays show the ball sets perfectly and stem securely .

Oh what a nasty shock to your system! I am sorry! I think this is what we refer to as a Hemi-Arthroplasty. That will help in your search for others who've had this type of surgery.
I will ask my colleagues here on BoneSmart to weigh in also. @Pumpkin might have some input for you.
Edited to add that there's a possibility that you had some soft tissue injuries that didn't make themselves known because of the primary injuries.. sadly this is when you may need to practice some patience.

Last edited:
Hello and Welcome to BoneSmart. Thanks for joining us!
I’m so sorry to read of the accident that led to your surgery. As CricketHip mentioned, I’m wondering if the PT you’ve been engaging in could be the reason for the groin pain? Do you notice it more so after any particular activity? If so, you may want to dial it back a bit and see if icing helps relieve the groin pain when it occurs. Also, you may want to consider taking a break from the gym for a few weeks and see if you notice a difference. If you’re willing to try that, I hope there is noticeable improvement.

I’ll leave a link to threads of others that experienced Hemi-Arthroplasty for you to look through if interested.

Stay in touch and let us know how you’re doing. We’ll be here. :wave:
@gofngal

I suspect soft tissue injury from your dislocation, soft tissue can take up to a year to heal.
A PT may be able to help with a few exercises and stretching you can do safely.
As CricketHip said you are going to need patience.

Aaargh I’m 5 weeks out from my right THR and have similar groin pain issues. Some days it’s great, others not so much. When it spikes, my hair practically stands on end. It’s almost like a spasm so my dr gave me an Rx for Robaxin (muscle relaxant) - it does help a bit.
I’m at 3+ months for my left THR and that pain has pretty much resolved. Occasionally stiff and takes a while to get going, but all in all, it feels good. I’m counting on this right one getting there too….hopefully soon.

The first few months seem long . The hard part is the time between when you feel like the recovery has stalled and you want a normal gait. Many days of just walking in a good heel to toe gait, in new shoes with good arches helps build up endurance. This is important to train the hip to walk with a good gait. The body and brain need time to adjust to sending signals around the new components surrounded with tissue and bone all healing and adjusting at the same time. Soft tissue and bone both seem to take their time healing with the all new changes and adjustments to the hip area also has effects on the whole body .

Today I was referred to another ortho that does only hips and knees.
After checking x -rays, he told me what you guys were saying about a traumatic injury replacement, soft tissue takes awhile to heal. I should be patient, which is so hard to do. I will work thru this. I maybe 80 years old, but I am not one to sit still.
Do what I want to do. If it hurts dont do it. I lov this sight following what others are going thru. It gives me hope

Hi gofngal,
I do understand it’s difficult to be patient at times, especially if you’re used to being as physically active as you seem to be. If you’re engaging in exercise or any activity and you begin to feel discomfort, or pain, please stop. If you try to push through it, you may end up stalling your recovery. We see it often and it can take days to even weeks to rebound in some cases. Taking it slow and easy now, will help you get to where you want to be faster.

We‘re happy to hear you like BoneSmart and enjoy following others threads. I noticed you just posted on (Robinlynnlostut’s) thread. Just a FYI…she hasn’t been around in a little over five months, so she may not respond to your supportive message.
But, then again…she may. Fingers crossed :fingersx:
Stay in touch, we’re here for encouragement if you’re ever in need.
@gofngal

Happy Four Month Anniversary!
Hopefully this finds you well and thriving since you last posted a month ago. Looking forward to hearing how you’re doing. I hope we hear from you soon.
Happy March :SUNsmile::flwrysmile: We’re getting closer to Spring! :yes!:
@gofngal

Hi,
Well, 4 and1 half month out, hip seems fine, but stress fro hip has made my left knee very painful, I had arthroscopic surgery 7 years ago and 2 years had a cortisone shot, . I'm on crutches, waiting for an appointment with the ortho,earliest appt was March 29th, hopefully they will get me in sooner if cancellation. It is left hip, and left knee.

Has anyone else had this problem,, very frustrating. I will post again when I see the doc.

I'm on crutches, waiting for an appointment
Well that doesn't sound good! So sorry you are dealing with that knee complaining. The change in your gait might be aggravating that knee. Fingers crossed you can get in to see the orthopaedic surgeon sooner!

Had my appt with ortho today, hip was bothering me, my knee pain was a little better, using a cane now.
Had x ray, I knew it was bone on bone.
I had the cortisone shot in left knee also in hip.
Prognosis was more than likely I would have to have a total replacement.

Also knee. I'm not surprised about the knee but I dread it. Praying the shots work..

Thanks for stopping by and updating us. Keeping fingers crossed that the injections give you some relief. :fingersx:

Oh, I am sorry! I hope the injections give you much relief! I'm sure you know this, you may feel a bit more sore for a day or three after that injection, but then it settles down and the relief hopefully kicks in.

Wishing you some relief and some good rest tonight.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Riveralex
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom