• SCHEDULED MAINTENANCE. BoneSmart will be unavailable from 8:00am - 10:00am CDT on Tuesday, May 21, 2024 due to required systems maintenance and upgrade.

If you are unable to log in, please check back later and the maintenance should be completed.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Bilateral PKR One Year Update

And here is your own personal copy of the BoneSmart reading list for people in recovery. Hope your surgery is a grand success!

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)
don't overwork.
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?

Energy drain for TKRs

Elevation is the key

Ice to control pain and swelling

Heel slides and how to do them properly

Chart representation of TKR recovery

Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Just laying here trying to make time go faster. Everyone running behind so surgery delayed a few HOURS.

Oh, postponements are the worst. There you are, all pumped up and ready to go, and... :bored: Hope they keep you nice and comfy. Do you have someone there to talk to and share with?

Oh, postponements are the worst. There you are, all pumped up and ready to go, and... :bored: Hope they keep you nice and comfy. Do you have someone there to talk to and share with?

Yes, my youngest is here. She is a nursing mom so she is out pumping right now. Feel bad that she has to wait longer too.

One Year Update
Best of luck. All will go great! This is what I made for myself before surgery - I’ll share

Go get em!
Boy you’ve got a big cheering section tween you and SADD. thumbs up!!!
Don’t forget to ask for your best comfort food. Mine was grilled cheese sandwich. (Even in the hospital it was nice to get!)
Looking forward to hearing how you’re doing (in a few days—I know we can all wait till the initial commotion settles down!!!!)

Hopefully all is done, Sherri! Let us know how you are! Everyone here is ready to encourage you!

Surgery started late out of surgery around 4:30. Spinal that was so excellent Of course hit shift change in recovery so didn’t get to room till 7:30. Spinal starting to wear off. Got my goodie pills cocktail and they are starting to work. Cafeteria was close so only able to get a dry turkey sandwich. But after 24 hours without food it did just fine. Note to pre-op people: find out when they stop serving patients. Save yourself from the dry turkey

Surgeon said everything went great. I’m able to lift my legs a bit in bed. Hard to tell with blanket. Pads(can’t remember what they are called), blankets and ice make it hard tell hoe much I can lift them.
They had a little bit of trouble with getting spinal in but I was numbed and and didn’t bother me. That was the last I remember until waking up in recovery, fully awake and pain free.

Going to try to get some sleep. Thank you all for the good wishes. Getting out of bed and wallking tomorrow :yes!:

Last edited:
Congratulations on your two new knees! You know our guidelines, but especially be good to your knees and don't let anyone try and force them to bend or go straight. You stay in complete control of what happens to them! Good sleeping and pain relief!

It looks like I choose my doctor and hospital well. On great pain meds and they will wake me up when next dose is due. First PT is tomorrow and I will stay in charge. Thank you all again for the good wishes. They all go into my “good thoughts bucket.”
Feeling pretty darn good right now. Storing up the good thoughts of things in my mind “bucket” I will be able to do. I’ll dip into the bucket when things get rougher

If you wanted to say goodbye to your old arthritic knees.....it’s too late.... they’re gone and no more bone on bone pain!!
The next few weeks might be a handful, but the meds, healthy eats and rest and icing and elevating...you’ll get through to stacking little victories that build and build.
You have your work cut out for you. Keep in mind your main work is to HEAL UP. Ice machine and elevating was key for me. My PTs were wonderful, hope you get good ones too!
I salute you!

You have such a great attitude! Hope your first PT goes well. It might be mostly getting you up and walking a few steps, and just a couple of the mildest bends and stretches. Just be wary if anyone wants to grab your leg and force a bend. Those are risky.

Sounds like you’re doing wonderfully! Great advice, too, about how to avoid dry sandwiches. :heehee:

Welcome to your (soon) pain-free life. You will be amazed. Congratulations on putting your surgery behind you!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Rkelley
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom