TKR One week out

deeni46

Country
United States United States
I am about 1 week before my LTKR. I've had 2 pre-op appointments already, one with the ortho and one with the facility where the surgery will take place (labs, EKG, and chest x-ray). Although I'm almost physically prepared, my emotions are all over the place. I am excited for the opportunity to have a better quality of life, but the recovery causes me a little anxiety. I do not live alone, but my husband has never had to care for me. We have traditional roles in that I take care of everything inside and he handles the outside. Me being down will be new experience for both of us. He is having some anxiety about being my caretaker. I am planner so I have made arrangements for our meals and selected the places for take-out. He may be starting a new job during my recovery so that adds another challenge. We have a single story house so navigating up and down is not an issue. My insurance will cover a home health aid to do at home PT and maybe some other services.

Is there anything else I should consider? Any last words of wisdom are greatly appreciated.

TIA

Hello and Welcome to BoneSmart. Thanks for joining us!
It is normal to have some anxiety as you near surgery and a lot of our worries are needless, but we don't realize until afterward. You will have a better quality of life and I am sure your recovery will be fine. It sounds like you've prepared well.

I was very worried by the thought of my husband caring for me, because it was a first for us also. It turns out he was great and honestly that is not what I expected. If you're able to be more specific about the areas your husband is anxious about, we may be able to help by offering some tips. Depending upon when he may start a new job, you'll likely be self sufficient by then anyway, not skipping a beat. I believe you'll be surprised, so try not to worry. I will leave some pre-op reading for you. Familiarize yourself with the forum and don't hesitate to ask questions and we'll do our best to help.
Lots of comfort to you!

KNEE PRE-OP ARTICLES
Longevity of implants and revisions: How long will my new joint last?
Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery
stories of amazing knee recoveries

I strongly recommend setting up a space where you're most likely to be spending a lot of waking hours (mine for the first weeks was a recliner armchair in the bedroom).

If there's not a handy piece of furniture to put stuff on, try to get a small folding table to keep within easy reach.

Among the things you want in reach is a pad and pen - I used a steno pad for convenient size and lays flat. I wrote my medication schedule on the first page.

During the first month pretty much everything got reported on it - meds, obviously; with multiple post op meds you def want to write every time you take anything - anything from appetite and bowels to pain and itch to sleep and walks - you never can tell when you'll need to call the ortho team with a concern, and when they ask "when did it start and what have you already tried?" your foggy post op brain will not have to do as much work to remember!

My other tabletop items were cell phone ( if I got up, it went into a pocket, so it was always accessible!), tablet, coaster for beverage, beverage, tissues, and a book I was too unfocused to actually read! :heehee:

I totally understand what you're going through. I've always been a SAH mom and wife, and my husband has always worked outside the home, until he retired, plus he has always done the big maintenance and outside chores, and similar. In retirement, he's learned a new set of skills, including taking over some of what I've always done (I love that he's the one in charge of floor cleaning now!). He also had to learn to take care of me after my many surgeries, both before he retired and after. At first it was new to him, but he was more than willing to do the job, and wanted to do it well. Over time, he became skilled at the many facets of taking care of someone during recovery.

Nurturing was always something I did as a mom; anytime anyone was sick, I was the main caretaker. But, given the need, my husband became an expert at caring for me. The only thing he was unable to master was the cooking......lol. He is now good at grocery shopping, as long as I give him a detailed list, but actually cooking anything other than eggs and pancakes is beyond his ability.

Some of what I did to prepare for my recovery is make a ton of freezer meals that he could easily heat for us, along with plan menus so all he had to do was go to one of the freezers, take out dinner in the afternoon, and microwave the meal a couple of hours later. You've made plans for meals also; even though it's different than how I did it, it's what works for you. That not only makes sure you have meals you both can eat, it takes the pressure off your husband as to how to feed you. I also made sure to have a stock of lunch meat, and other lunch foods he could manage. I didn't want six weeks of pancakes and fast food, so I made sure there were plenty of meals for two for the duration.

But the main thing is that your husband needs to know he can do this. It will require using a new and different set of skills than he's ever done before, but he can do it. In my case, my husband had a desire to care for me, and was more than willing to do so. My job was to let him know what my needs were, and to never criticize his efforts. I tried my best to button my lips whenever he did things differently than I did. Even when I would go into my kitchen and see all kinds of food and serving items on the countertops, which drove me nuts, I didn't complain. Of course, the first time I did ask him why all the food, etc, was there instead of being put away, and he said it was handier for him that way......lol. I knew after I recovered I'd have to find everything that he put away in the "wrong" places, and put all the stuff back in the cabinets and pantry, but until then I lived with his different ways of doing things, even when it about killed me............ :heehee:

I also made sure to praise his efforts and thank him, even when I wasn't feeling like doing so. Recovery has many ups and downs, and there were days when all I wanted to do was complain, or be grouchy, or mope, etc. I can't say I was perfect, but I tried my best, and he also tried his very best, even when he was struggling with a cranky wife, a new skill, being stuck in the house, etc. And that, I think, is the secret to caring for someone during recovery. Doing the very best you can do at any given point, knowing that you won't be perfect, but also knowing the the patient appreciates all your efforts, plus never criticizing one another. Keep the lines of communication open, talk about your fears and anxieties, and know that it won't be an easy time, but you can get through it.

My experience through multiple surgeries over the decades is the same. My husband isn't always the most adept caregiver, but he follows lists and directions, and his attentiveness and supportive attitude more than compensate for minor messing up the job! (He had a milestone bday days after my first TKR, and among other preplanned surprises I gave him a trophy calling him "America's Sweetheart.")

Hope you don't mind a little levity here, deeni46
He is now good at grocery shopping, as long as I give him a detailed list,
Does this include screen shots of the items :heehee: It's what my hubs often requires.
Of course, the first time I did ask him why all the food, etc, was there instead of being put away,
Subtle :wink:
I dealt with the same, but it drove me nuts. Had to choose not to look, lol
he said it was handier for him that way.
Hahahaha. Men...gotta love em!

Love your suggestions, lovetocookandsew
Have a great day, deeni! :)
@deeni46

Does this include screen shots of the items
Definitely! I make a list, add all the pictures that I've copied and trimmed, then pasted, then print the list. It doesn't work to make a list for his phone, unless it's an item we always buy, as he needs a large enough picture to see it.

My job was to let him know what my needs were, and to never criticize his efforts. I tried my best to button my lips whenever he did things differently than I did. Even when I would go into my kitchen and see all kinds of food and serving items on the countertops, which drove me nuts, I didn't complain. Of course, the first time I did ask him why all the food, etc, was there instead of being put away, and he said it was handier for him that way......lol. I knew after I recovered I'd have to find everything that he put away in the "wrong" places, and put all the stuff back in the cabinets and pantry, but until then I lived with his different ways of doing things, even when it about killed me..
I totally agree with you on this one. I've already learned to do this if I want him to participate in every day activities. Thanks for the laugh and the reminder. :) Glad I'm not alone with these thoughts.

Hope you don't mind a little levity here, deeni46
He is now good at grocery shopping, as long as I give him a detailed list,
Does this include screen shots of the items :heehee: It's what my hubs often requires.
Of course, the first time I did ask him why all the food, etc, was there instead of being put away,
Subtle :wink:
I dealt with the same, but it drove me nuts. Had to choose not to look, lol
he said it was handier for him that way.
Hahahaha. Men...gotta love em!

Love your suggestions, lovetocookandsew
Have a great day, deeni! :)
@deeni46
Great and thanks for the laugh. I told him I'm only expecting his best whatever that might be ;)

My experience through multiple surgeries over the decades is the same. My husband isn't always the most adept caregiver, but he follows lists and directions, and his attentiveness and supportive attitude more than compensate for minor messing up the job! (He had a milestone bday days after my first TKR, and among other preplanned surprises I gave him a trophy calling him "America's Sweetheart.")
Love it!

My other tabletop items were cell phone ( if I got up, it went into a pocket, so it was always accessible!), tablet, coaster for beverage, beverage, tissues, and a book I was too unfocused to actually read!
I have lined up some crocheting projects. Let's see how many I actually complete:snork:

Oh you'll feel more crotchety than crocheting :loll:

Best Wishes tomorrow, deeni!
Please join us on the healing side once you're resting back at home and feel up to posting.
We'd love to support you and will have some Recovery Guidelines to share.
Hope to see you on the Knee Recovery forum soon! :wave:
@deeni46

I have lined up some crocheting projects. Let's see how many I actually complete:snork:
Hi Deeni, Make sure the projects are easy!! I couldn't concentrate on my knitting for a few weeks!

Best wishes for a smooth surgery

Liz

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
CareBear63
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom