Hip Infection On the healing side

I decided to do one session of PT yesterday just to make sure I wasn't missing anything important.
Yes you were missing something important - pain! All PT does is cause more aches and pains. And resistance bands? :no-fin: Just not necessary. You aren't training for a marathon - you are healing.

So rest, ice and elevate. Take something if you are in lots of pain. This will ease quickly if you just give it a bit of patience.

Thanks, @Jaycey, I needed to hear that, and it made me laugh!
Lesson learned, which I knew all along.
Feeling better today, and still taking it easy.
Body is definitely in charge of recovery--not the mind!
Hope everyone has a peaceful Sunday.

Glad you figured it our early. It should save you some misery.
Happy One Month Anniversary! (Belated)
You're doing well, keep it up.
A great week to you!
@Shine533

Update... Soon after my last post on 1/20 I developed some swelling on the left hip around the incision. It's very red, swollen, and warm. There's no real pain, but it's become uncomfortable, and the swelling has remained the same for the past 4-5 days, despite resting and icing. The incision itself is still dry and closed, as it has been for awhile--I've never had any oozing or problem from the incision. He used dissolvable sutures.
I saw my OS yesterday afternoon and he thinks it could be blood pooling under the skin, infection is also possible. I started on Keflex antibiotic 3x/day and will see him on Monday 1/28 for follow-up. If no improvement, the next step would be going into the hospital for IV antibiotics and possibly another surgery to clean out any infection. He says the chances of that are about 50-50.
Everything was going so well, and I just don't understand where this is coming from.
Is it possible to have an infection without running a fever and chills, and with a dry and closed incision? In general I've been feeling pretty good.
Could this be related to the PT? It seemed to start the day or two after.
I have had some minor lightheadedness that comes and goes when I walk--nothing major, and I put it down to a side affect of maybe the Celebrex. I started taking it again after the swelling. But yesterday I had an incident in the store, where with no warning, I got very lightheaded and everything started to go white and I almost passed out. Could this be related somehow?
I am off the Celebrex and just taking the Keflex and Tylenol as needed now.
Any idea what might be going on?
Many thanks, friends!

Hi,
I'm so sorry you're struggling. What you're experiencing doesn't sound like a result of PT. However, I would stop all PT until you become aware of exactly what you're dealing with.

It is my understanding that redness, warmth and swelling can be signs of infection but only your OS will be able to determine that for you.

The lightheadedness could be a side effect of the Celebrex which I think you've had a negative reaction to earlier. It can take a couple days to completely get out of your system and I'm not clear on when you took it in relation to the episode you experienced while shopping.

Because I'm not a medical professional I'm not sure if an infection initially causes a fever. I understand fever can be a sign of an infection, but at what point it manifests, I'm not sure. Wondering what signs your OS mentioned you should be on the look out for?

Prayers the symptoms resolve soon and your OS is able to give you the "all clear" next week.
Please stay in touch.
@Shine533

I do hope this resolves.
I am sure it has you terribly anxious.
Thinking of you and sending you all the best!

Hi everyone,
Here's an update on what turned out to be a pretty big speed bump in my journey...
After 5 days on the keflex, I went back to see my OS for a follow-up on 1/28. He took one look at the hip, saw that the area of redness had grown and had become quite painful, and direct-admitted me that day to the hospital.

After an MRI, bloodwork, and a barrage of oral and IV antibiotics, he did a 3-hour debridement surgery the next afternoon. In doing so he replaced the ball and socket as a precaution, but left the stem intact, which was apparently okay. He said there was a lot of blood and "mucus" he cleaned out, but no abscess (sorry to be graphic about it). So much blood I needed a couple of transfusions. He closed the original incision with staples.

While in the hospital 5 days, I met with numerous Infectious Disease docs, with everyone trying to figure out what the culprit was. They never were able to positively identify it as one bug, but the best guess was a staph or strep type infection. The odd thing was, apart from the area being swollen, red, and painful, I never had other signs of infection, like fever, chills, or any drainage from the original incision. When I asked why this might have happened, all of the docs said, "Infection is a risk with any surgery." In other words, they didn't know.

Up until the infection hit at 4 weeks after my original hip replacement, everything had been going fine. Coincidental that it all started after my first PT (when I explained to the OS what was done at PT, he said "they should not have done that"), and probably me overdoing it on the exercise bike. But who knows if that is related.

I was discharged on 2/2 with a PICC line, a wound vac bandage, and instructions for an RN to come in every week to change the PICC line dressing and whatnot. She showed me how to administer the antibiotic daily (a lot of steps but pretty easy--I wrote it all down).

The biggest issue the first week home was managing the drainage from the wound (it leaked watery blood and probably some of the antibiotics the OS had put in there; no infection). The wound vac was switched out to a regular dressing of gauze, pads, etc. that was bulky and uncomfortable the first week. Thankfully, the wound seems to be draining much less now so I think we have a handle on that.

Today, apart from having trouble sleeping, I think I have finally turned the corner. I tire easily but have started to really listen to my body and take frequent breaks in my recliner. I tell myself it is a journey. I am in recovery; I am not sick. I will get better and get back to doing the things I love. Slow and steady and have patience! If anyone had told me I'd be administering antibiotics through a PICC line in my arm, I would have shuddered--but you learn it and do what you need to do.

I have a new appreciation for what some here have had to go through... Keep pushing on, you(we) will get there! All the best to everyone.

-Lynn

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Lynn,
I'm so sorry for your setback. You have a very healthy attitude though which may be inspirational and a fine example for those following you and encountering the same. I wish you only the best moving forward.
Please continue to update and let us support and encourage you on your journey.
A great week to you!
@Shine533

Hi Lynn,

I am so sorry to hear you are facing this challenge in your recovery. Amazing how fast things can change and thankfully you were proactive in seeking help quickly. Get lots of rest and keep us posted when you feel able. I know you will be in all of our thoughts.
:flwrysmile:

:hi:
Literally having to roll up your sleeves to get this sorted:sorry:
It is amazing what we are able to do when we need to..
Prayers for fast healing and good mojo coming your way!
Hope today is a Good Day @Shine533 :roseshwr:

@Fractured
If I see ONE mambo coming from that new hip in the first months...I'm going to be the first one on board to give you a what-for!:skep:

On a serious note, after remembering your long incision..I wanted to ask...
Will they go in at prior incision, do you know?
I am already adding you to my nightly prayers for this to go easy peasy.:praying:

Hi @Shiine555, so sorry you have joined the Club after such a brilliant start with your THR.

You appear to have such a positive attitude, which will see you through your journey. I trust you have someone helping you and your Dad.

Take care. xx

Hi @Shine533
I hope your sleep is improving and you're having a good week so far.
There is some great commaradie here amongst those struggling with infection.
You're definitely not alone.
Wishing you comfort and some restorative rest.

Thank you, Izabel and Layla! @Izabel, hope you are doing well.
Yesterday was a good day. At my follow-up appt the OS removed the staples--that felt great. And I can finally shower tomorrow night after weeks of sponge baths, so really looking forward to that (funny how plain old showers become something to look forward to)! He says after a (rather big) speed bump, I am "back on track" with no sign of the infection. He didn't mention PT and that's good; I have no intention of going back.
I am starting to feel back to my old self, but will definitely be taking this recovery slow and easy!
Sleep troubles and night sweats continue to annoy but am trying to get a handle on those issues.
Hope everyone has a good day (or night, depending on where you are...) A big hug to those who need it today! :tada:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom