THR Nini's Right THR Recovery -- January 2024

@benne68 the recovery illustration you shared earlier only showed up as a question mark.

Yesterday was going fairly well and I mentioned to my husband that I was only feeling a little tightness in my hip. He suggested I do my exercises. I actually had not done them since Monday and had been having more less pain days. But I did them. So much pain happened very soon. The rest of the night and not much sleep happened last night. It’s now mid morning and I’m functioning but not without burning pain. So here I am whining again and praying so hard there will be an end in sight! @Rosanne

I actually had not done them since Monday and had been having more less pain days. But I did them. So much pain happened very soon
I'm so sorry this happened, but encourage you to interpret it as a message that your hip did not like something about those exercises. Did you try to do too much? Perhaps just go back to simple walking for a bit?

Also, I'm not sure why our little roller coaster image didn't show up for you, but will try it again below:

rollercoasterexample-gif.74641

Hello!! Monday morning after all that nasty pain I called OS office and talked to nurse. She said fine to take the muscle relaxers. So I started back on them after having stopped to have surgery. I was amazed. 2.5 days of MUCH less pain. And I was very careful not to overdo it. Today is a bit of discomfort but I’m ok with that. While I would rather not have it I understand about the dips along the way.
One thing I wanted to mention was that when I described where my pain was being in the buttock area she said that sounded more like stemming from my back???? I did not have this before the surgery and it’s clearly near or very near to where surgery was. I asked her IF it were back pain where would I be having the ongoing recovery pain that she had mentioned earlier in our conversation. She said around the joint.

when I described where my pain was being in the buttock area she said that sounded more like stemming from my back?
It is not uncommon for the muscles in the back to protest after a hip replacement as they adjust to the body's new alignment. This also happened to me. It did improve with time. I found walking helped my back quite a bit.

@benne68 that could be but I just figured since my pain is directly by the incision site it was all the muscles being moved about from surgery. Thanks for your response

I’ve felt better all week since I started on the muscle relaxers. I learned yesterday that ice is counterproductive to the muscle relaxers and really tightened things up for a few miserable hours. I was tired and thought I would lay down with some ice. I should have just laid down.
I also have only been walking and down been doing the exercises. (Since every time I do them it’s not good afterwards ). We have plenty of stairs and I do the one foot one foot in them all except the last two so I’m using the different muscles. My husband keeps telling me I’m going to be sorry if I don’t do them. I’m walking 4000 steps a day. Bending over when I need to.
What are your thoughts on this.

Pain in the butt happened with both of my THR's, it does go away eventually. Sitting especially in certain cars was really tough.
If your hip had "slipped" you wouldn't be typing on a computer. Most say it hurts enough to pass out or not even be able to speak or breathe.
I’m still having a lot of pain in the butt at 11 weeks. When did yours go away? Thanks! @Eman85

You want the good news?, I can still get pain in the butt depending on what activities or exercises I'm doing. stretching is the trick but be aware of putting strain on your hip joint doing any stretches and don't force a stretch.

Today marks my Three Month (13 weeks) anniversary. This journey has not been what I expected at all but last two weeks I feel that I have gone into curve towards the better. I’m down to only laying down once a day and I do it even on the days I feel I don’t need it. I’m walking 5000 steps nearly every day.
I finally ventured to the grocery store with my husband this past weekend.
Before my surgery my surgeon had told me that five days after my surgery I could go out to eat if I felt like it. Key words felt like it. I had interpreted that to mean I would. No. We tried it at 4 weeks and it was too painful and made me terribly anxious. This past week we tried it again and it was a success!
Anxiety has not been my friend in this journey.
I tried driving just a few miles some weeks ago and it was a failure as far as pain. Last week I drove those same few miles and no problem! Today I’m going for a drive and actually going to get out in go in a small store on my own!
My glute pain from the posterior approach seems to finally (again that word finally) feels like it is taking a back seat and nearly healed.
My biggest pain is along the outside of my upper thigh. Is a pain when I sit so I sit with my hand under it. (The same way I did with the glute pain). It also flares up when I lay on my good side and I absolutely cannot lay on the operated side. If I didn’t have this pain I think I could declare myself my old self!
I’m looking forward to my May report!
@Roseanne

Last edited:
Great update, @Nini! It really does sound like you have turned a corner. I love that you are marking your progress with milestones like going out to dinner and driving -- because getting back to living our lives is why we do these surgeries.

The thigh pain will continue to lessen with time -- just like that glute pain did. Can't wait to read your next update!
:flwrysmile:

Thanks @benne68 ! I have been wondering if it could be bursitis. I did read the article here at Bonesmart on it and it could be. Would upper outer thigh pain be anything else? I’ve thought about calling my OS but I think they would just say give it time.

@benne68 i looked at the article and I had It Band pain years ago and it was located more in the side. Mine is a bit to the back on the side. Right on that bump that sticks up. Oh man I looked at those stretches and they make me think of a dislocation! I know probably not but I’m terrified of one! Thank you for your concern about my pain!

Happy Three Month Anniversary, Nini! :wave:
It sounds like you're making great progress. I will look forward to your May report.
Until then...best wishes!
@Nini

Happy 3 month anniversary!
I've had bursitis off & on both sides since my surgery.
I ice & heat & massage, it does go away. The PA at OS office wanted to do pain med shots which I assume is cortisone but I didn't go for it. You have to have ultrasound to determine exact location before the injection, seemed like a lot to have to do & possibly injection wears off in couple of months so I just learned to treat it myself. It pops up now & then but like I said I ice/heat/massage.

@myglasshalffull thats great that you control it yourself. A couple of questions. Do you message it yourself? I have used my fingers myself a bit and my husband is able to apply more pressure when I’m laying down. We haven’t done it much but will try it more. Do you still try to walk as much when it flares up? I think that’s what really kicked mine in as the better I have felt the more walking I have been doing. Thank you!!!

Now this is not meant to be a downer post but I did want to be realistic because I remember pouring over posts looking to see where people’s pain was at. Just to make sure I was normal. (Normal?!!!). So yes I have regained much of my life back but there is still underlying pain just not as much of it. Plenty of stiffness and pain around incision area but mostly for the first couple hours in the morning and then around dinner time. There is still sit pain but not in the glutes. I still overthink pain at times. I take two prescription ibuprofen and two muscle relaxers a day. And I know when it’s time to take them. Yesterday I walked down a flight of stairs the adult way and my front thigh muscle cried out in pain for the rest of the day. BUT I am choosing to concentrate on my earlier post and planning on every day being better. And yes those over did it days are real my friends!

@InkedMarie oh my! I just read your post about the lady dislocating her her hip by shaving her legs. Shaving legs is my next hurdle and I’m terrified of a dislocation! How do you shave your
Non operated leg without having operated leg behind? Thank you!

Here is my next hurdle! Shaving my legs! I’m tall so I have a lot of leg to shave! I did a search here and on google and several times it popped up about a lady having a dislocation because had her operated leg behind her. I’m terrified of having a dislocation and that did nothing to calm me. A you tube suggested purchasing an extension.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Happy2024
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom