THR Need help

Walls022

Country
United States United States
Anyone develop SI joint improvement after THR?

Welcome to BoneSmart!

Yes, it's not at all uncommon for our members to report either an improvement in another area (yay!) or a new pain (not a yay...). Here's why...

(I am hoping your post didn't autocorrect from "impingement" to "improvement" but the basic answer is the same)

Our arthritis-affected joint, over time, creates a lot of structural changes as the body tries to adapt to compensate. Some muscles and tendons lengthen and stretch while their counterparts contract and tighten. This can happen below our level of consciousness even as these forces start skewing our pelvis, our posture, our gait.

All at once in surgery everything is essentially reset by the surgeon. Part of recovering from a hip or knee replacement, besides the actual healing, is a re-making of our structure to again adapt.

We'd love to hear more about your own experience with your hip and sacro-iliac!!

Which hip was replaced, on what date? How has your overall recovery been going?

Last edited:
HIP RECOVERY GUIDELINES

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary.

If you want to use something to assist with healing and scar management, BoneSmart recommends hypochlorous solution. Members in the US can purchase ACTIVE Antimicrobial Hydrogel through BoneSmart at a discount. Similar products should be available in the UK and other countries.

2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
BoneSmart philosophy for sensible post op therapy

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this
Activity progression for THRs

The recovery articles
Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery
Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Welcome to BoneSmart!

Yes, it's not at all uncommon for our members to report either an improvement in another area (yay!) or a new pain (not a yay...). Here's why...

(I am hoping your post didn't autocorrect from "impingement" to "improvement" but the basic answer is the same)

Our arthritis-affected joint, over time, creates a lot of structural changes as the body tries to adapt to compensate. Some muscles and tendons lengthen and stretch while their counterparts contract and tighten. This can happen below our level of consciousness even as these forces start skewing our pelvis, our posture, our gait.

All at once in surgery everything is essentially reset by the surgeon. Part of recovering from a hip or knee replacement, besides the actual healing, is a re-making of our structure to again adapt.

We'd love to hear more about your own experience with your hip and sacro-iliac!!

Which hip was replaced, on what date? How has your overall recovery been going?
Right hip total replacement. Very successful after 6 weeks. Worried because now my SI Joint pain is back. Wondering if anyone saw improvement in SI Joint pain after surgery. Isn’t too soon to be concerned?

I'm sure members will start chiming in.

At six weeks after surgery, it's expected to have pains appear and disappear, or disappear and reappear. So in the absence of other symptoms, it's not worrisome. However these unexpected pains can be disconcerting and definitely deserve symptom relief! What's worked for you in the past for your SI problem?

What was the date of your R THR? We will create a custom signature and include you in the monthly team.

Almost all of my pre-surgery pain was in my "sit bone" so my diagnosis of end stage bone-on-bone OA was 2 years in queue:oyvey:
They were too busy investigating spine issues - to no avail - and I will tell you...
my issues are 95% improved...

Hip pain, range of motion issues noticeably were gone within weeks of surgery...
I thought my lower back issues would linger but by 3 months post op...
after new gait and new posture adjusts along with all the adjoining soft tissue...
95% improved!
I'll take it.:yes!:

Hi Walls,
Welcome to BoneSmart!
Thanks for sharing that you had your right hip replaced.
Will you please provide the exact date of your surgery so we're able to complete your signature? It's really helpful for those that stop by to read / comment to be able to see how far along you are in your recovery with a quick glance. We'll really appreciate that information.
I am so sorry about your back pain and hope you're able to find relief.
Thanks for joining us!
@Walls022

Another Yes here. Prior to the hip replacement I had frequent SI joint issues (having it adjusted felt GOOD). After the replacement and restarting activity and exercise, my back pain is much better. Other than occasional, relatively minor soreness or stiffness, practically no SI issues.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Mahaan98
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom