Need Doctor recommendations please St Louis Mo

rtkneeandy

Country
United States United States
Im in the St louis Mo area and have a TKR scheduled for Nov 24 2017. How do I talk to patients form local docs? I need to hear some positive stuff on a specific doc....thinking of backing out! can't find much positive on long term pain free. Ill be reading everything here in hopes I missed the Doctor Thread.
Thanks

Hello and welcome! A moderator will be along shortly if not before this post shows up to give you some good reading material. I am willing to bet there are some bonesmarties from that area that could give you some advice. I googled my doctors name and looked at many different reviews of him and his surgery from prior patients. I am having my surgery a week before you, it's nerve wracking for sure, the waiting game. I would suggest you go the post op forum and read some of the recovery thread from folks that are a year or so out from surgery. There are some great ones there people returning to normal life and how they are doing. I think it would be helpful to see the real outcomes. :)

:welome: To BoneSmart! You’ve come to a good place for information about knee replacement surgery. I’m curious, though. Are you looking for information on the surgeon with whom you’ve already scheduled surgery in November? Did you schedule surgery before researching your doctor?

There’s a FInd a Clinic tab at the top of this page that will help you find doctors in your area.

Aside from doing internet searches for reviews of local surgeons, you could try asking around. The best sources for good information on surgeons are the patients they’ve operated on, along with nurses and therapists who have worked with those patients.

Also consider editing the title of this thread to mention you are looking for doctor recommendations in Missouri or St. Louis. Use this link: Edit Title for information on how to edit the title.

Also, here’s some helpful reading for you.

If you have concern about pain with this surgery, Plan For Pain, can be helpful for having this discussion with your medical team.

New BoneSmart members like you are in various stages of their journey to joint replacement. Making the decision whether or not to have surgery and preparing for surgery can be easier once you have done your research and know what lies ahead. Here are some tools that can help you decide what is best for you.

If you are at the stage where you have joint pain but don't know for sure if you are ready to have surgery, these links may help:

Score Chart: How bad is my arthritic knee?
Choosing a surgeon and a prosthesis
BMI Calculator - What to do if your surgeon says you're too heavy for joint replacement surgery
Longevity of implants and revisions: How long will my new joint last?

If you are at the stage where you are planning to have surgery but are looking for information so you can be better prepared for what is to come, take a look at these links:

Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery
Pre-Op Interviews: What's involved?

Regardless of where you are in the process, the website and app My Knee Guide can help you stay organized and informed. The free service keeps all the information pertaining to your surgery and recovery in one place on your smartphone. It is intended to be a personal support tool for the entire process.

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced knee, take a look at the posts and threads from other BoneSmarties provided in this link:

Stories of amazing knee recoveries

If you have any questions, fire away - we're here to help.

Thanks all for ur replies. Yes looking for information on current "Dr. Rick Wright" and any others in area where people had good luck. The first surgery was done by Dr. Rick Lehman...meniscus repair. The pain never really went away, just changed. I was told my IT band was "tight as a banjo string" and did A LOT of PT and deep tissue massage eight to twelve months...no help... then more PT then Cortisone three times and finally a brace that did nothing."Did i schedule surgery without research"? Dr. Rick Lehman operated on my wife's ankle with great success. I did the best I could on the inter webs could not find much so went on a coworker who had two family members that used Dr. Rick Wright and said it was a great experience. He is also the OS for the St. Louis Blues hockey team, I don't know how much this played into my decision but here I am. Scheduled for Nov 24th. Im not afraid of all the pain....I'm ready....Just want to convince myself that the pain will be gone after TKR. Sure are lots of horror stories about the pain going on for years. Just called surgeons office for referrals and they said I will get them Monday. Good luck SpaceGirl. I still say you girls have a better pain tolerance than us manly men.

Ah, okay. You did choose your surgeon based on good research. :yes!: I just hoped you hadn't ended up with a surgeon you knew nothing about (it happens). Your surgeon has sound credentials and sounds competent.

For every horror story, there are many more success stories. Most people who have a successful surgery simply go quietly on with their lives. I think that's what we all hope will be our outcome.

My OS worked with a practice that worked with the Lakers and Ducks in LA. He came to Montana and is the UM Griz football physician. He has scoped 1 shoulder and both knees for me. Our pastor's mother had him do her TKR with a good outcome. In Sept, I was at the game, the quarterback ended up with torn ligaments, broken tibia and fibula, and his foot rotated about 120 degrees from straight and my OS took care of it.

My last meniscus repair in March on my right knee is still causing me periods of pain leading me to believe that a TKR on it will come sooner than the 6 years my left knee lasted after scoping.

Also important is that he is a very nice person and I have comfort with him as my surgeon. So that is something I hope you find with your surgeon. Edit to add: All the nurses I have talked to are impressed with him. So nurses, another source for info if you can find it.

My friend just had bilateral TKR by Dr Rick Wright in St Louis at Barnes 3 weeks ago. She's doing real well. Maybe I can get her to connect with you - you can read her thread @Kayaknlady

Good luck! I used Dr. Richard Johnston at MoBap and my mom used Dr John Tessier. I liked the checkbook to investigate and saw a couple of surgeons when getting ready.

I had bil TKR with Rick Wright 3 weeks ago. I chose him because as a former case manager for Barnes, I wanted a Wash U doc and a doc that would get me active again, not as a normal 70 yo, but as an athlete that I am. I expected a fast track. I’m doing very well and more mobile than I expected. Everything going smooth. However there were some things I didn’t agree with. He will discharge you Post-Op Day 1 and I was a bilateral, and argued 3 times with his resident that I would not allow discharge until I was medically stable. She kept wanting to discharge me. Thank God I knew enough to stick up for myself. He no longer uses post op blocks ( to fast track) and pain control was inadequate . I plan on addressing these issues when I see him. I’m grateful that he was willing to do a bilatgeral TKR on me so once recovered, I don’t have to do it again. Some of my friends are amazed how well I’ve done. I have to give him some of the credit. But fast track is fast, no pussyfoot path.

Just a word of warning: Most people do not have a fast recovery. It's best to expect to recover more slowly, as most of us do. Expecting to recover quickly can lead to frustration and disappointment.

It takes as long as a full year for all your wounded tissues to recover completely, although you will feel much better long before that.

I had bil TKR with Rick Wright 3 weeks ago. I chose him because as a former case manager for Barnes, I wanted a Wash U doc and a doc that would get me active again, not as a normal 70 yo, but as an athlete that I am. I expected a fast track. I’m doing very well and more mobile than I expected. Everything going smooth. However there were some things I didn’t agree with. He will discharge you Post-Op Day 1 and I was a bilateral, and argued 3 times with his resident that I would not allow discharge until I was medically stable. She kept wanting to discharge me. Thank God I knew enough to stick up for myself. He no longer uses post op blocks ( to fast track) and pain control was inadequate . I plan on addressing these issues when I see him. I’m grateful that he was willing to do a bilatgeral TKR on me so once recovered, I don’t have to do it again. Some of my friends are amazed how well I’ve done. I have to give him some of the credit. But fast track is fast, no pussyfoot path.

Thanks for the information. Sounds like you are doing well. It makes me feel better as your surgery was so recent and with the same doctor. As a case mgr I'm sure you knew who you wanted to do your surgery. I have had terrible pain due to tourniquet use with my last meniscus surgery, at least that's what I was told by PT. Speaking of PT...whats your take on aggressive PT versus the "go at your own pace" and keep the swelling down? Where are you going for PT? if you don't mind me asking and how is it going? I will began interviewing different PT clinics next week. One of which is "Star" that is in the ortho building off of Timber Lake Manor. My wife had great results from a place in Fenton. After reading this forum I'm very interested in different PT strategy's. By the way I live out in Grover which is between Eureka and Wildwood

You will get a lot of feedback regarding your questions about PT. I'll provide my opinion. :)
I like PT. However, looking back, I tried to find the happy medium between doing my PT (I NEVER did the PT as many times as they told me to because I would have been a swollen balloon if I would have) the way they wanted me too versus not doing PT. I now think I overdid it since I would leave with a swollen, red hot, angry knee. That was month 1-3. I never let the PT person push or touch my leg because I was capable of doing it myself. I did let them massage my scar eventually. I think they worked on strength building too early. You will find - you cannot, "cannot" do aggressive PT with this recovery. If you did, you would be miserable. I've had PT for multiple small surgeries and this recovery is like none other. There are too many people on this site that have had great success doing it the BoneSmart way, so I feel it's the best. I just needed the guidance and measurement etc. because that's the way I role. (PS: I went to high school in Eureka, lived in Fenton, so know your area well - it's nice you can be in the country - kinda - yet have access to top hospitals) You're getting prepared so you are doing the best things you can do. Just remember, all therapists are not created equal so you have to make sure you have a gentle one who knows not to push this recovery.

Like jachembra, I balanced PT with the BoneSmart philosophy of gentle recovery. I did PT twice a week and used them primarily for balance and gait reinforcement. My therapist never forced my knee, because I never would allow him to do it (he wanted to). If an exercise left me with a swollen, angry knee, I refused that exercise the next session. I refused all strength training. I never did PT exercises at home, save for knee bends and a few back of the knee stretches. I rehabbed my knee almost entirely by walking —this was the method my OS recommended. Really big on walking. So that’s what I did.

I believe not doing aggressive PT is the reason I recovered so well. It’s not that I don’t believe in strength exercises; I just didn’t do them in the first three months while my knees were healing. I’m now working with a personal trainer on strength and flexibility (my whole body needs this).

I live in Fenton ,had Rick Wright,and going twice a week to Athletico. So far I’m not doing anything I can’t do at home. I chose this PT from past experience and location, as I live alone and depend on others for transportation. I’m going on week 4 soon. I balance PT with Bonesmart to not over do it, which is easy to do. I walk with walker once or twice a day outside. I do my PT twice a day. I’m walking around house without assistive device. Still Narco. I’m doing silver sneakers videos to maintain upper body strength. According to my friends who have had a TKR, I’m quite flexible for this early. I feel great and standing, balancing is better every day. I had minimal blood loss due to tourniquets with Hemotocrit of 35 post op. I did have help at home for 2 weeks post op. I was a bilateral. I feel almost normal, but of course , ROM isn’t there. I got on a stationary bike today and learned that quickly. I know you’re facing surgery and probably thinking, l can walk now, will I be able to walk after? I think having surgery while you’re still pretty mobile will assure you a better, quicker, recovery. I figure by spring I’ll be ready to kayak, bike, hike again.

Wow...exactly what I was thinking, I can walk ok now. Bad day yesterday, working on ladder kind of made me feel better that It was hurting...weird I know. Ill ask my wife if that is where she went for PT. She said the guys name was Andy and she loved the place, and they listened to her. Sounds like you are doing exceptionaly well for 4 weeks.

Hey Kayaknlady, How did Dr Wright prescribe PT? Did he mostly leave in up the therapist? Need to get my "rant"/instructions ready for PT. How are the knees and you doing now?

@Kayaknlady, here’s a post @rtkneeandy left for you. He has a question about Dr. Wright.

Andy, I tagged Kayaknlady for you. To tag someone, put the @ symbol in front of their name.

I texted her before I saw Susieshoes tagged her. I’m sure she’ll be around soon.

Are you getting your house in order? Have your “nesting” area(s) ready? You can set up your post op recovery thread before surgery too. We’ll be looking for you on the other side with the shiny new knee! Make sure the doc prescribes your ice machine - I left the hospital with it. Freeze 8 water bottles - using 4 at a time in the machine. It’s much easier than using ice. Good luck! Happy Thanksgiving

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Rdollins
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom