• UPDATED!!!! SCHEDULED MAINTENANCE. BoneSmart will be unavailable from 8:00am - 10:00am CDT on Wednesday, May 21, 2024 due to required systems maintenance and upgrade.

If you are unable to log in, please check back later and the maintenance should be completed.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Revision TKR May 9 2024 Revision TKR - again

Jen53014

Country
United States United States
Well I’m all ready for surgery tomorrow. It’s 6:30 pm here and I’m in my PJs after my shower with my special soap. I’ve done my sheets and towels and regular laundry. I’ve made several meals for the freezer (and a few for hubby for the next few days). My darling daughter has sent me the best recovery and Mother’s Day gifts - prepared food! I told her to please skip flowers for both as I don’t want the responsibility of caring for them. The dogs snacks and meds have been setup for the next week. I’ve done prehab for almost 3 weeks. I’m ready!

Doctor plans to replace spacer and check other components, but X-ray doesn’t show any issues with the other components - of course anything is possible when he’s in there! My 2020 revision was to replace the lower component which had loosened.

I’ll report back…….

Best Wishes for tomorrow!

I will leave you our Recovery Guidelines. Each article is short but very informative. Following these guidelines will help you have a less painful recovery.

Just keep in mind all people are different, as are the approaches to this recovery and rehab. The key is, “Find what works for you.“ Your doctors, PTs and BoneSmart are available to help, but you are the final judge as to the recovery approach you choose.

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary

2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
If you want to use something to help heal the incision,
BoneSmart recommends hypochlorous solution. Members in the US can purchase ACTIVE Antimicrobial Hydrogel through BoneSmart at a discount. Similar products should be available in the UK and other countries.​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

6. Access to these pages on the website

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in the majority of BoneSmart’s forums, we ask that each member have only One Recovery Thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review the member’s history before providing advice, so please post any updates or questions you have right here in this thread.

You sound well prepared, Jen. Best wishes tomorrow! :)
Will look forward to following your healing journey. See you soon.:wave:
@Jen53014

Surgery and recovery room about 3 hours. Top art (femur?) and spacer replaced. Doc said everything went well. Pretty late afternoon here (2:30 pm) and due to spinal legs still numb - not sure if PT still on for today. I’ll be satisfied just standing and hitting the restroom. No pain as I received good meds and a nerve blocker.

Having black coffee and peanut butter crackers - food of the Gods!

image.jpg

No PT or OT today as left leg still pretty numb. Doesn’t make me mad

Be prepared if you have a spinal you might pee yourself. I did a little in the bed and when I swung over to the bedside commode. It’s something the staff is used to and equipped to handle. Try not to be embarrassed - I know personally it’s hard and humbling - but I’m easily over it. I’m about 5 hours post op and almost 10 hours since last pee.

Hope this isn’t TMI - just real post op and recovery info!

Oh and I don’t know why people put a bad rap on hospital food. Just had a delicious meat loaf with mashed potatoes dinner and chocolate ice cream. Also ordered a cookie with m&m which I’m saving for a later snack because there’s never too much chicken my recovery plan!

Day 2 recovery
Sleepless night and it was expected. Foot still numb but I stood on it with Walker and tech nearby. Need to be mobile for discharge! Hoping standing will help wake it up. Sitting in chair now (6 am) and have done a short sponge bath and brushed my teeth and combed my hair. Amazing how those little things feel soooo good. I’m tired but feel human again! My only problem is breakfast isn’t for 90 minutes and I need some coffee. I wonder if I can find coffee delivery in my small town of 4,000 I’ll definitely live albeit slightly sour pussed until I get my Java

Pain meds up to date. Excellent nurses day and night shift. PT and OT expected after breakfast. GP rounds soon too. Really thinking I’ll go home as I cannot wait to get in my comfy bed and crash.

Oh I found out that I get to take home the Breg Polar Care Cube ice system. That’s something new. And yes I know it’s included in my bill but prior years they were reusable and quite pricey to buy out of pocket.

I’ll update more throughout the day or end of day for sure. I’m hoping my immediate post surgery information helps someone else as I’m a knowledge junky and try to find out as much as possible - just remember everyone is different and my experience may or may not be the same for you.

If you’re preop and have questions hit me up!

I wonder if I can find coffee delivery in my small town of 4,000 I’ll definitely live albeit slightly sour pussed until I get my Java
I'll bet one of the nurses can get you a cup...they must have a Keurig or coffee pot nearby for those slower overnight shifts and mid-afternoon slumps. :fingersx:

Thanks for the updates, Jen...they will be appreciated by many. Safe travels home if you're discharged today!

Day 2 Home! When you live 3 blocks from the hospital your trip home is anticipated to be uneventful. When my hubs brought the car to the front the door my pup (almost 5 year old black lab) was wiggling from head to toe to greet me. As I settled myself in the seat I had to pay proper attention to him right away. When we arrived home he stayed in the car until I navigated the 2 entry steps into the house. I’m telling you my prehab paid off as I easily navigated into the house.

After a mini reunion with my pup (hmmmm I don’t even think hubs got a kiss ) I changed into my PJs and strapped on my ice pack. Climbed into bed (we sleep in separate rooms) and crashed for 2 hours. Just got up to pee - eat some grapes and crackers - tell hubs what I wanted for early supper (4:30) and am now sitting on the sofa which has a power recliner.

Things I did at PT today: practice going up steps since I have 2 at my entry; walk 3 times with Walker maybe 10 feet; demonstrate I could move my foot; lift my leg in and out of bed on same side I’d use at home; get dressed - all good but socks very tricky. Two different PTs each advised small amounts of exercises - few reps and don’t overdo - music to my ears!

and don’t overdo - music to my ears!
Yes! And let that song keep playing.

My surgeon told me that my ONLY job for the first two weeks was to rest, ice and elevate so my body could recover from the trauma of surgery.

Ah...home, sweet home! It sounds like your reunion is going just fine.

Day 3 (or is this really 2?!?) - my overnight was miserable…what is a worse word because that’s what it really was! I took my pain med every 4 hours (5 mg oxy) - used my ice machine for the first 3 hours and nothing calmed the sharp pain down. I gave up on the ice machine because it was so hard to take off and put on and seemed to “sweat” plus it was in my way and tripping was a worry. I had to get up to pee every 2 to 3 hours and let’s just say the effort required meant there was leakage almost every time. Started feeling queasy overnight too (thankfully that passed this morning).

I finally gave up bed about 5 am and moved to the living room sofa. Around 5 am I decided to take 2 pain pills (I’m allowed 1 - 2 every 4 - 6 hours) and by 6 was finally feeling some relief. Had the same dose at 9 and now I’m planning on another 2 shortly (5 hours instead of 4). Enjoyed a lovely bowl of cereal for lunch and more napping.

No PT for me - flexing my feet and traveling around the house as necessary are my limit. Even though this is my 3rd go around I didn’t listen to my body and let the pain get ahead of me to the point it took quite a while to recover. I know better and still did it! Don’t make my mistake!

I definitely forgot how hard recovery was going to be or maybe I blocked it Tonight should be better and I’ll give a few PT exercises a try tomorrow.

Sorry you had such a tough night, @Jen53014! The first few days are really hard, so sleep wherever you can, whenever you can.

And yes, be sure to take those meds on a regular schedule so you stay ahead of the pain -- don't wait for it to break through.

Sending hugs :console2:

Day 4 - what an amazing overnight. Only woke up once to pee and take meds otherwise slept pretty much from 7:30 pm to 5 am. Feeling awesome and also making a mental note to NOT overdue. Made scrambled eggs for us (cracked the eggs and stirred the pan - hubby took care of rest). Will try some easy PT later today.

Question: I’ve stayed on 2 pain pills for the last day - when or how do I know when to give just the 1 a try? My thought is to try it this morning and know I can always add the second back in. I just don’t want to go down too soon

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023
  • Elf1
    Staff member since October 2019

Forum statistics

Threads