THR Mature Mama has her RTHR and 4th joint!

12 weeks and almost 3 months here. I saw my surgeon yesterday, and I am cleared with no restrictions! I even specifically asked about skiing, and he said ! I have only skied a few times in the past 10 years but may give it a go next winter if I continue to steadily heal.

I still have a slight limp and am working on my gait. My doctor thinks it will work itself out in the next few months and I think the same. Starting back to work on the 22nd so trying to wrap up projects around the house. Drop my oldest off to college tomorrow, so lots of changes around here.

Sending my best to all of you as you continue to heal!

Great update, @mature mama!

You might want to try heel-toe walking when you notice that you are limping. This involves striking the ground with your heel first, then rolling through your heel to your toe, and pushing out of the step with your toe.

Here is a visual
1639236580030.jpeg

It's important to slow your pace and concentrate through the entire step. It takes practice, but after a couple of weeks, you'll notice a difference.

I found walking shoeless around the house helped with gait and I could feel purposeful heel to toe walking on my bare feet.

Great update.

So I am 4 months out from my right THR. The hip feels great. I am still doing a bit of the drunken sailor wobble and really have to concentrate on my gait when I get tired. Trying to get back to walking regularly and am adding a beginner pickleball class next month ( have played in the past but figured a class would be good for getting back into the game). Trying to keep me first is a challenge with family, animals and work but making a go of it. I need to lose some weight and get exercise back into the schedule regularly and I will be very satisfied with my results. Would love to get back to skiing next winter and my doctor has no objections, so keeping this goal in mind.

Good luck to all facing, wading through and recovering from surgery. Best to all!

Hi all! Just about 6 months out from my hip replacement. Most days I don't even remember my hip is replaced (or the other hip and both knees). The biggest challenge I still have is socks and sneakers on this foot, as my hip is still stiff. But I know that will get better. I am walking and playing pickleball and just starting to work in my spring garden in northern NJ. At 65, I get stiff sooner in my whole body but I have an extra 50 pounds on that makes this more difficult also.

So for those of you considering hip replacement or in the first days or weeks of recovery, go for it and hang in there!! I would replace all 4 joints again without hesitation.

Happy April!!

@mature mama Thanks for the wonderful update! It is terrific to hear you are doing well and are able to even forget you have the "new" parts! Enjoy your pain free joints and your garden:flwrysmile:

Yay! So happy to read this. Thank you for sharing, @mature mama! I'm sure your 6 month update will help those who are still in the early days.

Happy Six Month Anniversary! Thanks for stopping by with such a great update.
May it only get better!
@mature mama

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
CareBear63
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom