Length of hospital stay

My anaesthetist has told me i would be having a local as risks and recovery times are far quicker.
He said he has only given one general in the last 12 years.
I think your anaesthetist meant a spinal anaesthetic. Most people who have that are also sedated.

It's true that recovery from a spinal can be faster than from a general anesthetic, but that only applies to the first day or so post-op. The rest of recovery will take just as long.
Anaesthetics - spinals, femoral blocks, GAs and everything else

I just had bilateral knees Thursday and it’ll be decided if I go tomorrow or Tuesday to rehab. I have to be able to get up 13 steps from my driveway into my house. I am not ready for that this close post-op.

I was in hospital for a week after my PKR, back in 2000.
By the time I had my revision, the time had decreased to 5 days.
I was also in hospital for 5 days after my last TKR.

We don't have rehab facilities here in New Zealand, so they like you to be self-sufficient before discharging you home.
On each occasion, before I left hospital, my pain and nausea were well controlled; I could get myself out of bed and back in again without help; I could make myself a hot drink and a sandwich; I could toilet and shower myself; I could manage stairs; and I could walk well with crutches.

Eeek, no shame in having a general at all, and I doubt anyone would think anyone a wimp for opting for that option. Everyone is different. I've had numerous generals for other surgeries but I don't react well to them, always rough for a few days after, usually nauseous so the epidural was the better option and I was very happy to have it. Its the second time during knee surgery I've opted for it. I'll be honest, the first time around I was very interested in the surgery procedure and was continually asking the staff around me what they were doing next, where they were up to etc, second time around, I knew what to expect and dozed off lol!

My surgery was on Monday March 5, that afternoon they got me out of bed in the hospital to walk a few steps in the room. Next day walking around the hospital hall a few steps in the morning, and discharged to go home around noon. They provided a walker in the hospital and something that I found very useful, an "active ice therapy machine" (there are different brands) Is like an ice chest with a pump that connects with a hose to an ice pad and keeps your knee cool. Very important at home, ELEVATE, ice, take your meds and rest. Had to wear compression stockings for two weeks. It has been a month after my TKR, now I use a cane some times, I am already approved to drive a car, still doing physical therapy, and amazed of the prompt recovery. Pain today 1, the worst it got was 7, but only one occasion. Also interesting, after surgery they put a surgical dressing (AQUACEL) that is a waterproof dressing. They say keep it on for 7 days, you can shower with it, and take it off after 7 days. That's all, no more bandages, staples, etc. A month after surgery, very glad I did it. Good luck to you.

My surgery was on Monday March 5, that afternoon they got me out of bed in the hospital to walk a few steps in the room. Next day walking around the hospital hall a few steps in the morning, and discharged to go home around noon. They provided a walker in the hospital and something that I found very useful, an "active ice therapy machine" (there are different brands) Is like an ice chest with a pump that connects with a hose to an ice pad and keeps your knee cool. Very important at home, ELEVATE, ice, take your meds and rest. Had to wear compression stockings for two weeks. It has been a month after my TKR, now I use a cane some times, I am already approved to drive a car, still doing physical therapy, and amazed of the prompt recovery. Pain today 1, the worst it got was 7, but only one occasion. Also interesting, after surgery they put a surgical dressing (AQUACEL) that is a waterproof dressing. They say keep it on for 7 days, you can shower with it, and take it off after 7 days. That's all, no more bandages, staples, etc. A month after surgery, very glad I did it. Good luck to you.
That all sounds very encouraging glad it all went well for you.
My T K R is due April 18 and i have no option but a local they seem to prefer it { less risks.}
I am getting to the stage where i am dreading it so many stories of how painful it is but i want my life back.
My other knee has some arthritis and is giving more pain since i have to put more weight on it to compensate the other one.

My T K R is due April 18 and i have no option but a local they seem to prefer it { less risks.}

I think you mean spinal, rather than local. Most TKRs are done using spinal anesthesia. You get sedation which will put you to sleep, so you wake up in the recovery room after surgery, clear-headed and with a new knee.

I am getting to the stage where i am dreading it so many stories of how painful it is but i want my life back.

Well, I won't try to claim TKR is painless, because it isn't. It's a major surgery on a moving part, so there will be some pain involved. That said, you should have excellent pain control to get you through that. And that horrible arthritis bone-on-bone pain that was always getting worse? Gone forever. You'll notice it right away. The surgical pain gets better as time goes on. When your knee heals, even before it fully heals, you will get big wonderful pieces of your life back. :happydance:

I think you mean spinal, rather than local. Most TKRs are done using spinal anesthesia. You get sedation which will put you to sleep, so you wake up in the recovery room after surgery, clear-headed and with a new knee.

Well, I won't try to claim TKR is painless, because it isn't. It's a major surgery on a moving part, so there will be some pain involved. That said, you should have excellent pain control to get you through that. And that horrible arthritis bone-on-bone pain that was always getting worse? Gone forever. You'll notice it right away. The surgical pain gets better as time goes on. When your knee heals, even before it fully heals, you will get big wonderful pieces of your life back. :happydance:
Yes i will have spinal anaesthesia they seem to refer it as a local here.
I am not a wimp but don't want to hear what's going on during the op.
Really want my life back which has been a real struggle since last November.
Want to enjoy my retirement and my grandchildren one of which is only 3 weeks old and as my son lives in London i can not travel on trains / underground as i am.:nah:

I am not a wimp but don't want to hear what's going on during the op.
Tell your anaesthetist that.
He/she will give you a sedative, so that you sleep through the surgery. That's routine procedure and very few people are awake during their surgery, unless they ask to be.

Tell your anaesthetist that.
He/she will give you a sedative, so that you sleep through the surgery. That's routine procedure and very few people are awake during their surgery, unless they ask to be.
Thanks yes i have one more appointment / tests before my op but i will ask for a sedative

Defender, Celle is right. I was asked both times I had knee replacement surgery whether I wanted a sedative, both anaesthetists said it was entirely up to me. I declined both times but maybe I’m just nosy and like to know what’s going on !
I found after the spinal kicked in I had a detached feeling, I could see the nurse preparing my leg but that I obviously couldn’t feel anything , quite a strange experience.
The only problem I had with either procedure was the second time it took longer to find the correct spot to administer the spinal. My first go around they used an ultrasound to find the spot and marked it, in first time, administered the spinal, took around a minute. Second time they went freestyle, it took around 10 mins to get the right place. It wasn’t painful just frustrating.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011
  • Roy Gardiner
    Staff member since February, 23, 2013

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie