• SCHEDULED MAINTENANCE. BoneSmart will be unavailable from 8:00am - 10:00am CDT on Tuesday, May 21, 2024 due to required systems maintenance and upgrade.

If you are unable to log in, please check back later and the maintenance should be completed.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Bilateral TKR LauraLeigh's NEW knees!

Status
Not open for further replies.

LauraLeigh

Country
United States United States
Everything went well, according to my OS. I had nerve blocks and a spinal so I was completely numb from the waist down for quite a while. I finally started feeling some pain around 3 am - not too severe, more like a deep muscular ache in my left calf and shin. I can have dilaudid every 10 minutes & also had some hydrocodone. No compression stockings, luckily - just the booties that pump regularly. I'm trying to do quad sets, ankle pumps and circles whenever I'm awake. They still haven't gotten me up in a chair; they had to wait until the numbness in my feet wore off. So I've still got that to look forward to!

Good for you! Sounds like you're doing great. It'll feel good to get up and about a little. Good luck today.

Thanks guys! I feel pretty good right now & am starting to think about breakfast. I haven't eaten yet aside from some saltines and some milk. They have a pretty extensive menu here and I can order whatever I want. I'm thinking breakfast burritos...

Congratulations and welcome! I had a late afternoon surgery and was also starving after the procedure. I think it's because we had spinal. Just a word of caution. Enjoy you meal now. The oral meds are likely to play havoc with your appetite very soon.

Your hospital sounds like the one I used. I looked at the menu and then called for food, ordered and then brought it to you. Btw, what are they icing with?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

@Wednesday, so far they've only given me hydrocodone, which I've been taking for years. I do need a little food if I take 2, but two packs of saltines and a carton of milk worked fine.

@JustJeff, I have two of the DonJoy ice machines. I knew from the pre-op class that's what I'd be getting so I've already frozen a bunch of small water bottles to use in them when I go home.

Sheesh - this place is BUSY! It's like Grand Central Station in here. So far today I've had visits from:
- my OS
- his PA (who removed the heavy post-op bandages)
- physical therapist
- ultrasound guy (checking for clots)
- anesthesia guy
- occupational therapist
- hospital volunteer
- housekeeping
-multiple nurse visits

All I want to do is sleep but someone comes in every 10 minutes! And I know the PT guy is coming back to torture me soon - what fun.

Hahaha. That's why I tell the pt every time. "Thanks for the torture!"

Welcome to the recovery side of things! Sounds like things are going really great for you so far! Super!

How long do you expect to be in the hospital, and will you go home directly or spend some time in rehab?

If all goes well, I'll go home Friday. If not, I'll go to rehab - we just have to wait and see.

My first PT session was agonizing but I made it through without any tears! I wasn't able to stand - it was just too painful. I'll try again tomorrow.

Oh well, hang in there. Sometimes things don't happen on our schedules. With your attitude, you'll be just fine.

If you have pain during pt, you are irritating tissues that need to heal right now. I will give you our Bonesmart mantras and the post op reading list. all of the articles are shortl

First are the mantras ....
- rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds by the clock
- if it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physiotherapist - to do it to you
- if your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again
- if you won't die if it's not done, don't do it
- never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lie down, never stay awake when you can go to sleep!

Next is a FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) thread.

And then the articles in order of importance .
Group A
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Progression of activity for TKRs

Group B
How Long Does Healing Take ......
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevating your leg to control swelling and pain
Using ice

Group C
Knee Replacement - Where Am I in Recovery?
So What Is It Going to Take? The Five “P’s” of Knee Recovery
Work “Smarter” and not “Harder”
About recovering a knee - from one who knows!
Some suggestions for home physio (PT) and activity progress
Myth busting: The "window of opportunity"

Group D
MUA (manipulation under anaesthetic) and adhesions
It's never too late to get more ROM!
It's Worth the Wait for ROM
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

Welcome to recovery side. You are running right on course, it seems. I couldn't stand my first day. My knees would just buckle.

Icing and elevating...along with sleeping sound like a very good plan for now. So do it you can. Visits from staff will soon settle down.

Have a good week!:flwrysmile::flwrysmile::flwrysmile:

I think the problem was that the hydrocodone & dilaudid were not doing the job. I've been on that for years so I've probably built up a tolerance. They switched me to Toradol and that worked much better!

@skigirl, the pain I was having during my PT session wasn't in the joints - I've been having muscular pain in my calves and shins so ankle pumps were very hard to do. They did an ultrasound to rule out a blood clot and I'm okay, fortunately.

Surprisingly, they do NOT have my legs elevated! I do have ice on them at all times but they said there was very little swelling so no need for elevating. I just have to keep them as straight as possible.

I am surprised that hospitals don'r elevate the legs--I brought my own pillow to the hospital, but I only stayed one night anyway. Frustrating--but be sure to elevate when you get home. I spent the first two weeks with my legs up --I spent about 80% of my time in bed. By week three, the swelling was mostly gone.

Elevating your leg to control swelling and pain
Using ice

I'm pretty sure that with my adjustable bed I can the legs both straight and elevated. I know I can in my recliner for sure.

Between the Toradol and the Percocet, I had a pretty decent night's sleep. I still have some numbness on my legs but it's down to a few patches. The ache in my calves is much improved - with any luck PT will go better today. Still on the catheter at this point but I'm in no hurry to get that out!

Last night I dreamt a couple of times that I could walk normally and moved my legs in my sleep -YIKES!! Not good...let's hope I don't do that again.

Happy to see you are doing so well! Come to think of it, the only elevating of my leg, both in the hospital and the in-patient PT facility, was when my leg was put in the CPM.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member