Knee replacement set for April 30, 2019

Punkie

Country
United States United States
I am back. I was a member in 2009 and 2010 when I had both hips replaced. Now -- both knees have to be done. My left total knee replacement is set for April 30, 2019. Same surgeon who did both of my hips. He is great.

Since my hips were done, I have retired and soI have more time on my hands. In some respects that's not great as I have too much time to think about the upcoming operation. Had a great result with both hips - and know the knees will go well too -- but we are all human -- and the thought of two more operations is making me anxious.

My knee caps are about worn through, so I am in a lot of discomfort. I had a bad fall some six months ago and landed on my knees. That was the straw that broke the camel's back. I tried to do everything I could to avoid surgery, but it is time. So - hello again to all and good luck to you all. I look forward to following your postings and appreciate having you all here to listen to my questions. Having been here before, I know how invaluable this forum is. I was so happy to find Bone Smart is still here

Hello @Punkie - and :welome:

Please will you tell us the full dates of your hip replacements and which hip each was, so we can make a signature for you? Thank you.:flwrysmile:

You say you were a member before, but your post count is only two. Did you have a different username when you had your hips done? Can you remember what it was, or any details about a previous registration that will help the Administrators to merge your accounts?

By the way, I've edited both you posts, as the blue font and different sizes made them a bit hard on the eye.

Having a knee replaced is a bit harder and the recovery is probably a bit longer than after a hip replacement, so look for a way to find as much patience as you can.
TKR or THR: which is more difficult surgery for recovery?

Here is the pre-op reading for knee replacement:
If you are at the stage where you have joint pain but don't know for sure if you are ready to have surgery, these links may help:
Score Chart: How bad is my arthritic knee?
Choosing a surgeon and a prosthesis
BMI Calculator - What to do if your surgeon says you're too heavy for joint replacement surgery
Longevity of implants and revisions: How long will my new joint last?

If you are at the stage where you are planning to have surgery but are looking for information so you can be better prepared for what is to come, take a look at these links:
Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery
Pre-Op Interviews: What's involved?

Regardless of where you are in the process, the website and app My Knee Guide can help you stay organized and informed. The free service keeps all the information pertaining to your surgery and recovery in one place on your smartphone. It is intended to be a personal support tool for the entire process.

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced knee, take a look at the posts and threads from other BoneSmarties provided in this link:
Stories of amazing knee recoveries

Hello,

I too am new to the forum. You are lucky you get to use the same surgeon, that must make it much better. The reason I chose my surgeon was from asking on a Vet's forum and one name kept popping up... This is not by co-incidence I think and went to see him.

I am comfortable in my choice but knowing surgery is coming on May 28th is different to having emergency surgery ! :)

Anyway good luck.

Hi. In New Zealand, using the publically funded health system, its not really possible to choose a surgeon (you would risk an increased delay awaiting surgery).
Ive had 2 TKR with differant surgeons. We have to have the faith that they have a level of competency but Im an internet stalker and checked both my surgeons out before surgery. They had good track records so I was happy to proceed. After that you just have to have faith! Best wishes for getting to the post surgery stage asap!

Hi. In New Zealand, using the publically funded health system, its not really possible to choose a surgeon (you would risk an increased delay awaiting surgery).
Rosie, that isn't correct You can ask your GP to refer you to the surgeon of your choice. It isn't just pot luck.

I asked my GP "Who is the best orthopaedic surgeon for knee replacements?" And that's the surgeon he referred me to.

That wasnt how it happened for me.
I saw a surgeon who operated in both public and private health but although GP requested him ( and he hoped to get me assigned to him) I couldnt make it happen.
With my second knee, I wanted to attend Wgtn Hosp due to family reasons. If I specified this I would still be waiting (so went to Kenepuru). I have a friend on the urgent wait list who has now bern waiting 7 mths because she specifies venue.
Nice cats Celle. I have 2 tonkinese

Good day. when I was here in 2009/2010 - it was under [email protected]. I am not sure of any other information beyond that. I believe my right hip was first and that was done in December of 2009. The other hip was done in August of 2010.
Punkie

Thank you for that information. Can you remember anything at all about the name you used?

That wasnt how it happened for me.
I saw a surgeon who operated in both public and private health but although GP requested him ( and he hoped to get me assigned to him) I couldnt make it happen.
With my second knee, I wanted to attend Wgtn Hosp due to family reasons. If I specified this I would still be waiting (so went to Kenepuru). I have a friend on the urgent wait list who has now bern waiting 7 mths because she specifies venue.
Nice cats Celle. I have 2 tonkinese

I have a Bengal. Hoping for lots of companionship post op.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
galvesean
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom